Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Book you would most like to see become a Movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Book you would most like to see become a Movie?

Old 10-27-02, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy: First Flight by Chris Claremont

they could actually make a trilogy out of it scince there r 3 boork around the same character

its a sci-fi story about a young second lieutenent in the airforce. assigned to astronaut duty. her "first flight " is a mapping mission from earth to pluto and back. of course nothing goes right, her space craft is desrtoyed and she and her crew endup making first contact with aliens durring an attempt at rescuing them selves.

its a very fast paced, and detailed story. the author Chris claremont wrote for the marvel comics X-men for 20 years and has written about a dozen novels

i have actually thought about several castings.... main character nicole shea: mila jovavich..... general canfield (back ground character in all three books): sigourny weaver .... ben ciari: michael ironside....
Old 10-27-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

X-Men the Dark Phoenix Saga
Old 10-28-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
c a t c h e r i n t h e r y e
Yes! This would be great. Still, the risk of turning out a turkey is pretty high. Ditto for Ender's Game.
Old 10-28-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Without Remorse and Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

I am just finishing up The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon and I think it is a really great book that would make one hell of a movie (yet one difficult as hell to make -though I have read rumors that Chabon is supposed to be adapting it to the big screen)

I think a lot of the books from Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series would make good films (but we already have James Bond, so I couldn't really see anything new or interesting about this - I just really like the character)

I would love if Marvel would greenlight a Wolverine origin story (especially since they already have a great Wolverine in Hugh Jackman, imo) I have wanted to see this since I was about eight years old.
Old 10-28-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
The Silmarillion
Yeah, maybe HBO could make a year-long series out of it. A movie about Beren and Luthien would be nice, though.
Old 10-28-02, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by LBPound
Maniac McGee
or
Wrinkle in Time

The latter is supposed to be coming eventually.
I just checked IMDB and the release date is November 2000. However, it seems to be a Canadian production so I wonder if it will only air in Canada? I have been waiting and waiting for this to be a movie, in fact the whole first trilogy would be great!

Also, I would love to see a well made version of Strangers in Paradise based on the comic book series of the two best friends. The original story arc from the first collection.
Old 10-28-02, 09:40 PM

BattleField Earth Part II

on a more serious note:

Richard Bachman's (Stephen King) Running Man.
I know it's already been done (kind of), but if you read the
book, you'll agree with me...
Spoiler:
replace the tv station basement with the whole USA, and add bonus point for killing cops and children
Old 10-29-02, 12:49 AM

"Shibumi", by Trevanian

This would be a very difficult film to do correctly, to capture the essence of the book. However, I'd love to see someone talented give it a try. For those who haven't read it, I guess the best way to categorize it would be to call it an "intenational espionage" novel about the perfect assassin, Nicholai Hel. However, that doesn't even come close to doing justice to the depths and layers of the character and the story. One of my favorite books of all time, practically a perfect novel.

I'm not in to "spy" novels otherwise, so I wouldn't know what authors to compare it to. Guessing, I'd say maybe Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum, but that may only apply topic-wise. Style-wise, "Shibumi" is one of a kind. A classic.

By the way, one of Trevanian's other books was made into a film: "The Eiger Sanction", starring Clint Eastwood. A decent book and a decent movie, but none of his other books matches the scope and ambition of "Shibumi".
Old 10-29-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally posted by Psycho Pat
BattleField Earth Part II

on a more serious note:

Richard Bachman's (Stephen King) Running Man.
I know it's already been done (kind of), but if you read the
book, you'll agree with me...
Spoiler:
replace the tv station basement with the whole USA, and add bonus point for killing cops and children
On that note, how about The Long Walk? Rage might also translate well, but I think the subject matter would be too controversial.
Old 10-29-02, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by JustinS
On that note, how about The Long Walk?
I'll second that; I've always thought "The Long Walk" would make a great, semi-low budget independant film. Totally character driven, with very little needed in the way of production costs (sets, locations, props, etc.).
Old 10-29-02, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally posted by berserker37
I'll second that; I've always thought "The Long Walk" would make a great, semi-low budget independant film. Totally character driven, with very little needed in the way of production costs (sets, locations, props, etc.).
Well, to reproduce the massive crowds lining the roads at the end of the story would take some greenbacks, even with camera tricks.

The toughest part would likely be finding enough high-quality actors in that age group to cast the film.
Old 10-29-02, 07:24 AM

I can see the "Foundation" series, by Asimov, as a tv series.
Old 10-29-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sparrow and Children of God - Mary Doria Russell
Old 10-29-02, 12:47 PM

Good Omens... although with the way movie production in Hollywood is going we are going to see "green eggs and ham" the movie first...
Old 10-29-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Of the ones mentioned so far, I'd especially like to see:

The Talisman
Ender's Game
and
The Thief of Always

The Forever War would be cool, too.

Of ones not mentioned, I'd like to see Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman.
Old 10-29-02, 02:46 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by dvdmovie1
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. There was a rumor that David Fincher was interested at one point, although nothing seems to have happened with that.
I love this book, but it would never have occurred to me that someone would make it into a movie. It could be hilarious, though. Bourdain's doing a book signing here next month. If I go, I'll ask him about this.

My pick would be Nick Hornby's High Fidelity. No, I'm not joking, either.
Old 10-29-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
London Fields (Martin Amis)

To Your Scattered Bodies Go (Philip Jose Farmer)
(or any of the Riverworld books, for that matter)

The Mezzanine (Nicholson Baker)
(I know it seems impossible but for some reason, I think Fincher
or Jonze could pull it off)

Geek Love (Katherine Dunn)
(One day Burton will get around to this one!)
Old 10-29-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd love to see one based on the expirences of General F. W. Von Mellenthin as per his book "Panzer Battles".
Old 10-29-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would LOVE to see the following already mentioned:

Ender's Game
Talisman
Timeline
The Long Walk

In addition, if it was at all possible without completely screwing it up, I'd like to see.......

Atlas Shrugged

Hey... they did a decent job with War & Peace
Old 10-29-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stephen Kings Dark Tower series

Terry Brooks Elfstones of Shannara

Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern
Old 10-29-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about.....DRACULA? Yes, there have been hundreds of films using the character, and adaptations of the novel to one degree or another, but NEVER has anyone really done a completely faithful version. The closest attempts were Franco's EL CONDE DRACULA (COUNT DRACULA), the BBC version from 1977, and Coppola's BRAM STOKER's DRACULA, but each of these strayed from the course in major ways.

I'd love to see it finally done right. I'd ask Christopher Lee to play the part old Mr. Swayles. I'd bet he'd do it too.
Old 10-30-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still amazed that the Sword of Shanara hasn't been filmed.....

I'd also love to see:
Dalva by Jim Harrison (really anything by Harrison would transfer very well to the screen)
Jernigan by David Gates - one of my favorite books of all time
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

and

The Unredeemed Captive by John Demos - which could be a wonderful historical epic a la Black Robe

P.S. Somebody needs to do something with the work of Wallace Stegner and make a fine western fer chrissakes!!!!
Old 10-30-02, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Virgil's Aeneid. But that's my directorial dream project, so nobody better do it before me. That means you.
Old 10-30-02, 04:03 AM

I'd say virtually anything by Carl Hiaasen. Funniest writer in the history of the world. So when they finally decide to film one of his novels (Strip Tease), what do they do? Rip all the humour out of course! Just incredible...

Alternatively I'd love to see the Arkady Renko series finished off.

Vertical Run is one of the most cliche riddled stories I've read for a long time. Good guy is completely perfect. Meets a beautiful, equally perfect damsel in distress and guess what happens?... I think Hollywood and a few other people might be tiring just slightly of such high levels of bland predictability.
Old 10-30-02, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I read the NOVELIZATION of "BATMAN: No Man's Land" and I think it would be great on screen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.