Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Book you would most like to see become a Movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Book you would most like to see become a Movie?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see a completely faithful version (including time period and location) of War of the Worlds. The version slated for 2004/5 was originally slated for modern-day Seattle, but apparently there was a rewrite that moved it back to 19th-century Britain.
Old 10-26-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RevLiver
Vertical Run by Joseph R. Garber

A man goes to work and his boss, coworkers, family members, everyone he knows or meets tries to kill him and he doesn't know why. Most of the action takes place inside a skyscraper he has to escape from. Very fast read, in fact, it reads like a movie.
Great book! Fantastic epilogue! I read it a few years ago. At that time, I think they tried to get a movie deal together but it never came to fruition. Maybe too much like Die Hard so everyone gave it the "been there, done that, and it can't be topped" response. Who knows. I wonder whatever happened to Joseph Garber.......I kept an eye out for follow-up books but nothing ever came out.

Originally posted by movielib
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. A novel of the Battle of Thermopylae where approximately 300 Spartans and some of their Greek allies held off a massive Pesian invading force in 480 BCE long enough to allow the rest of Greece to prepare for ultimately defeating the invaders.......
I've got the book on my shelf waiting to be read, maybe I should move it up the priority list. DVDTalker movielib, while your waiting for the film to be made, if you haven't already, you might want to check out the film "The 300 Spartans" (1962) starring Richard Egan. It's a pretty darn good action film which also covers the same ground regarding the Battle of Thermopylae and as you can guess the 300 Spartans.

Since I've already mentioned these books on prior occasions here in the "movie" talk forum, I'll add:
The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale - mystery
Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter - suspense/thriller
Dirty White Boys by Stephen Hunter - suspense/thriller

Also,
Breakheart Hill by Thomas H. Cook - mystery

All the above are terrific books and are readily available in paperback.
Old 10-26-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
Old 10-26-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anything by Richard Laymon. Although it would probably be censored to high heaven.

Also, I've been waiting a while for Clive Barkers 'The Thief Of Always'.
Old 10-26-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Whether you like the story or not, I think the story depends too much on Ender's mindset to be done justice. Hollywood would make it all about the Battle Room, and that's not the full story.
You are confusing a pessimism with what Hollywood would likely do with what is possiblein the hands of a talented screenwriter and director. EG doesn't rely any more on the inner thoughts and motivations of the central character than hundreds of other novels that have been adapted quite well to the screen.

Every well-regarded novel that gets adapted to the screen always has "purists" who are disappointed in one way or another, sometimes even disgusted. Perhaps you would be one of them.

You can't cast an established talent in the role of Wiggin, and to find the right unknown kid to pull that off would require nothing short of a casting miracle IMO.
I don't necessarily agree with your first sentence. While there is likely a shortage of established talent in the right age group, I don't see why it should inherently make a difference.

Max Pomeranc (Searching for Bobby Fischer) might have been good casting, but he is probably too old now.

Considering you didn't like Ender's Game, have you read Speaker for the Dead? It's a completely different type of story, and I think it's better.
I'll pass. I have read several OSC novels over the years and have always held his ability to turn a basic story into a well-written and cohesive novel in very low regard. He is the male version of Mercedes Lackey.
Old 10-26-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
• Quoth Souljahh •
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rights to this were bought, and the script was being adapted, when the studio decided to take it in a whole new weird direction that doesn't resemble the book at all. It starred Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding. Jr. and is called Instinct.
Old 10-26-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dragons of Winter Night. 2nd novel in the Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy by Weis and Hickman.
Old 10-26-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth JustinS •<HR SIZE=1>You are confusing a pessimism with what Hollywood would likely do with what is possiblein the hands of a talented screenwriter and director. EG doesn't rely any more on the inner thoughts and motivations of the central character than hundreds of other novels that have been adapted quite well to the screen.<HR SIZE=1>

Oh, I agree. But I think there's a difference when the central character is so young (not impossible, but significantly more difficult). Ender's 6 when he heads off to Battle School, and that's not even the beginning of the story. I guess I just don't have much faith that all the pieces would come together in a work that depends so heavily on the thoughts, more than the actions, of such a unique young character. Considering how much action is in the latter half of the story, I fear that too much focus would be placed on the action leading up to the climax more than all the backstory that gets us there. Of course, it can be done, but I stand by my position that it would take a casting miracle just to get the right kid ... and that's just one piece.

As I said before, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Oh, and I loved Max Pomeranc as Josh Waitzkin. Josh was, what, 7? 8? And it was made in 1993, I think, so that would make Pomeranc about 17 years old? Yeah ... I think he's too old. But he was darn good in a difficult role.

das
Old 10-26-02, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Oh, and I loved Max Pomeranc as Josh Waitzkin. Josh was, what, 7? 8? And it was made in 1993, I think, so that would make Pomeranc about 17 years old? Yeah ... I think he's too old. But he was darn good in a difficult role.
And, criminally, has done virtually nothing since.
Old 10-26-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub.
Old 10-26-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

c a t c h e r i n t h e r y e
Old 10-27-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Hobbit

don't know why they didn't did this before the Lord of the Rings trilogy
Old 10-27-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
In addition to Ender's game, I'd like to see a multisegment epic (like Star Wars) of the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Probably never happen though.

tasha
Old 10-27-02, 01:05 AM

If they handed the Ender's Game script to someone new, able and not yet tainted by Hollywood, I know that this film could be great. This thread wasn't made to talk about how it may or may not be foreseeable or even doable in the future, but what you would really love to see come to film.

I read a post a little ways back about Lord of the Flies animated. Might be interesting, but I really doubt Miyazaki would come out of retirement yet again to do it. He said Mononoke Hime was his last film, but then he was convinced/swayed to do Spirirted Away.

Catcher in the Rye would make an awesome drama, I would definitely love to see that be made into film as well. I just don't know if they would be able to get rights to it.

Oh well, we can dream!
Old 10-27-02, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Psychlowne •<HR SIZE=1>I read a post a little ways back about Lord of the Flies animated. Might be interesting, but I really doubt Miyazaki would come out of retirement yet again to do it. He said Mononoke Hime was his last film, but then he was convinced/swayed to do Spirirted Away.

Catcher in the Rye would make an awesome drama, I would definitely love to see that be made into film as well. I just don't know if they would be able to get rights to it.
<HR SIZE=1>

I thought this thread wasn't made to talk about how it may or may not be foreseeable or even doable in the future.

das
Old 10-27-02, 01:15 AM

oops.
Old 10-27-02, 01:16 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Timeline - by Crichton

And it is becoming a movie soon...this book had me hooked I finished it in like 2 days...
Old 10-27-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. There was a rumor that David Fincher was interested at one point, although nothing seems to have happened with that.
Old 10-27-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by flixtime
Great book! Fantastic epilogue! I read it a few years ago. At that time, I think they tried to get a movie deal together but it never came to fruition. Maybe too much like Die Hard so everyone gave it the "been there, done that, and it can't be topped" response. Who knows. I wonder whatever happened to Joseph Garber.......I kept an eye out for follow-up books but nothing ever came out.
He actually did write another, titled In a Perfect State, but it was never published in America. I got my copy in paperback from Amazon UK, haven't read it yet though. It's a thriller set in Singapore. I once found a website for him, but it stopped working a few years ago. In it he had said he was working on his fourth novel (Vertical Run was his second, Rascal Money, long OOP, was his first). I don't know whatever became of that.

Originally posted by Samuel
The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub.
I believe they are working on turning this into a TV miniseries. I'm also looking forward to this one. I hope they don't use cheesy effects for Wolf, though.

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
c a t c h e r i n t h e r y e
I dunno, I doubt anyone could make a film of this and get it right. And given Holden's distaste for films, I think, IMO, it would be sacrilegious. Has Salinger ever sold the rights? Considering all the "coming of age" films that get tagged with being "Catcher-in-the-Rye-like" and turn out to be mediocre to miserable, I don't think they should attempt this one. Just my opinion.
Old 10-27-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RevLiver
He actually did write another, titled In a Perfect State, but it was never published in America. I got my copy in paperback from Amazon UK, haven't read it yet though. It's a thriller set in Singapore. I once found a website for him, but it stopped working a few years ago. In it he had said he was working on his fourth novel (Vertical Run was his second, Rascal Money, long OOP, was his first). I don't know whatever became of that.
Thanks for the info. Believe it or not, I've actually got a hardcover copy of Rascal Money sitting on my bookshelf. I picked up a remaindered copy years ago after reading Vertical Run. I don't remember too much about the book though I do recall that I thought it was just okay. I just checked the book flap which describes the book as being a "satire of American business".
Old 10-27-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Memoirs of a Geisha". Once upon a time, Spielberg wanted to direct this. Oh well...
Old 10-27-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The animated adaption of "Jimmy Corrgion: The Smartest Boy in the World"
Old 10-27-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by William Fuld
I wonder whatever happened to this? The cast seems solid and the trailer/commercial on the Spy Kids dvd looked pretty good.
It's supposed to be finally airing on ABC next month, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh and another movie adaptation I'd like to see is One Fat Summer.
Old 10-27-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy
Old 10-27-02, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by wiz
Timeline - by Crichton

And it is becoming a movie soon...this book had me hooked I finished it in like 2 days...
Funny you should mention that one. I read it on vacation a couple of years ago and wondered outloud to my wife how long it would be before someone turned it into a film (almost a foregone conclusion with any Crichton novel).

It was a decent novel and probably would turn into a fairly good script.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.