Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone hate Russell Crowe?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you like Russell Crowe?
Love him
58.06%
Hate him
41.94%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Why does everyone hate Russell Crowe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-02, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though I think he is a good actor, his performance in Beautiful Mind as well as the movie was very overrated. Anyone can shuffle around and stutter.
In real life, he has an ego and thinks that everything is solved by name calling and a punch. He needs to grow up. He isnt in High School even more.
If he doesnt want to be in the public eye, he should get a job in construction.
Old 09-16-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,268 Likes on 846 Posts
I believe that anyone who knows enough about a celebrity to be able to form an opinion on what they are like "in real life" needs to stop watching Entertainment Tonight and work on having a life of their own.
Old 09-16-02, 02:02 PM

My reason for hating him are different. When we were kids, he was the school bully and he stole my Ronald McDonald watch. I never forgave him for that.

Russy! If you still got my watch, I hope you're really enjoying it cause you're going straight to hell for that!
Old 09-16-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by cooper2000
Though I think he is a good actor, his performance in Beautiful Mind as well as the movie was very overrated. Anyone can shuffle around and stutter.
In real life, he has an ego and thinks that everything is solved by name calling and a punch. He needs to grow up. He isnt in High School even more.
If he doesnt want to be in the public eye, he should get a job in construction.
Um, so can you introduce me to him? I mean, you obviously know him very well to make a comment like "he has an ego and thinks that everything is solved by name calling and a punch."
Old 09-16-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
He is an excellent actor, which he proved in Michael Mann's The Insider.
Old 09-16-02, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I hate him since it is the only choice. Mostly he hasn't done enough movies for me to make up my mind. He is only a pretty good actor. He has a apeared in more average to below average movies than he has great movies. He illogically won an Oscar for his worst performance.

Here's how they measure up (I'm only counting movies I've seen:

The One great, truely Oscar caliber performance he has given: LA Confidential

The Really good performance in an otherwise mediocre movie: The Insider

The mediocre (aka anyone can win awards playing a disabled person): A Beautiful Mind

The Awful: Gladiator and that one with Meg Ryan. Both are total garbage.
Old 09-16-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
He comes from a long line of actors with too many moles and facial blemishes. Can't stand 'im.
Old 09-17-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can take him or leave him. . .he's quite a talented actor. As a woman, I don't find him attractive in the least, however, and I couldn't care less about his dalliances with a married woman. It's not for me to judge that. He would not be on my "must see if he's in it" list -- only if the particular project looks interesting on its own.
Old 09-17-02, 06:49 PM

I remember Academy Awards host Steve Martin poking a little fun at Crowe who was in the audience. When they showed Crowe in the audience you could just tell that a**h*** could NOT take a joke.
Old 09-17-02, 08:06 PM

My reply is how can you hate someone you dont know?
Old 09-17-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me see, he's rich, good looking, talented, and he beds movie stars like Hollywood was running out of them. What is there to like??
Old 09-17-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't hate him... just thought gladiator kinda sucked. beautiful mind was good. insider sucked... he's a good actor.
Old 09-18-02, 12:16 PM

I heard that shortly after Denzel Washington won the best actor award at the Academy Awards this year, Crowe approached him to congratulate him and Washington blew him off. Anybody else hear about it or see it on TV?

I think he is an excellent actor who has a big ego, like most anyone else who is really talented and paid well.

Last edited by Kechulater; 09-18-02 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-18-02, 08:18 PM
lxl

I did not think he's that great in acting... then besides that there's not much left to actually like him.
Old 09-18-02, 08:37 PM

According to the poll, it doesn't look like everyone hates russell.
Old 09-18-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
For God's sake, man! He rides a tugboat from country to country, just to beat up innocent bystanders!

I don't care how many Oscars he's won! That just ain't right!
Old 09-18-02, 11:50 PM
Suspended

I think he's a great actor, I've liked him in everything I've seen him in, even Mystery Alaska. He does seem to be pretty grumpy in real life though, but I do think he was robbed at the oscars. Denzel was really great in Training Day but I think Russel's acting in A Beautiful Mind just blew me away, he was great.
Old 09-19-02, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe that anyone who knows enough about a celebrity to be able to form an opinion on what they are like "in real life" needs to stop watching Entertainment Tonight and work on having a life of their own.
Correct. Please people, none of you know the man at all, other than what you've read about him. As an actor, the man is truly one of the best in Hollywod right no. That much is true. His performances in LA Confidential, The Insider, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Romper Stomper, and a couple of other have been phenomenal. As for Washington blowing off Crowe, that's probably BS. Sources please. I saw an interview before the Academy Awards last year where Denzel Washington stated he and Russell have been friends ever since they filmed Virtuosity.

The only thing I care about is this man giving me my money's worth when I buy a ticket to his film. He does that in spades. That's not something I can say about too many actors.
Old 11-25-02, 09:40 PM

Well, I'm glad to see that not everyone dislikes Crowe. It seemed like whenever his name came up in a thread, it was someone saying they hated him, or that he was a prick.

I agree with all those who say you can't judge the man personally based on what you see in the news media. We haven't so much as met him, and we all know that saying "What a nice guy" doesn't sell magazines. Dirt does.

I evaluate an actor based primarily on his movie performances, and by that measure I have to say Russell Crowe is my current favorite.
Old 11-26-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Fielding Mellish •<HR SIZE=1>For God's sake, man! He rides a tugboat from country to country, just to beat up innocent bystanders!

I don't care how many Oscars he's won! That just ain't right!
<HR SIZE=1>

I agree with many ... I have no opinion of him as a person. The media wants us to believe he's a prick, but I have no idea. He seems pretty apathetic about the Oscars, but who can blame him. He gives the best performance of his career in The Insider and doesn't win. Then he gives a very good, but nothing spectacular, performance in Gladiator and gets a "make-up" Oscar for losing the previous year. Then he gives another outstanding performance in A Beautiful Mind and loses because the "make-up" award has already been slated for Denzel. You may not agree with my personal assessment of these awards, but the point is that I can see how a guy like him wouldn't really give a **** come Oscar time.

I typically like those who don't give a **** about the media or what people think of them. I'm a vocal supporter of guys like Barry Bonds and Pedro Martinez who compete in their craft at the highest possible level and don't care whether you like them or not. Crowe strikes me as that type of guy. He wants to act, and he really couldn't care less what we (more accurately, the media) think of him as a person. The media doesn't take too kindly to that and will paint those who don't kiss their ass as a prick. Many of them may very well be complete a-holes, but I'm not going to trust the media to make that decision for me.

Crowe's an incredibly talented actor, and that's the extent of my judgment on him.

das