Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Focus ~ John Wayne ("The Duke")

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Focus ~ John Wayne ("The Duke")

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to Flixtime and DimensionX for the last two posts.

Im looking forward to Western Month and love Red River

BTW: Remember one simple thing: Don't mess with the Duke
Old 10-31-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by Vampyr
Just wanted to say thanks to Flixtime and DimensionX for the last two posts.

Im looking forward to Western Month and love Red River

BTW: Remember one simple thing: Don't mess with the Duke
So, why don't you answer the question flixtime posed a week or so ago? What are your thoughts on the "controversial" ending to Red River?

BTW: I guess we have the answer to your "What should Vampyr do for Halloween" thread. Go to a neighbor's house and give away candy.

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-31-02 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-31-02, 08:23 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

That DVDfile review reminds me of an audiorevolution(a site that reviews audio equipment and movies) had a headline that said : "Enemy of the Arts Jesse Helms to retire".

The Duke is in a class by himself. Not very many other actors were the main star in a career that spanned more than 45 years.(!)
Old 10-31-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Dimension X
So, why don't you answer the question flixtime posed a week or so ago? What are your thoughts on the "controversial" ending to Red River?

BTW: I guess we have the answer to your "What should Vampyr do for Halloween" thread. Go to a neighbor's house and give away candy.

Well......This may be a bit too simple of an answer, but it's the only one I have. The Duke has always been a hero figure to me. Although most of his film deaths have been quite heroic, I have never been comfortable with him dying at any time. It's hard to see The Duke die Therefore, I agree with Flixtime. I'm glad he lived and feel that live or die Red River is a superior film, which holds up quite well over time.

BTW: The saddest death scene he was ever in remains that in The Shootist, as he was really dying of cancer when he filmed the movie But this has already been mentioned in this thread.

I think it says something of an actor when a fan doesn't want to see him die in a film (even if it may be better for artistic reasons). IMHO
Old 11-03-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Dimension X, and thanks too Vampyr for your feedback on the "controversial" ending of Red River.

I'll add just another brief - or maybe not so brief - comment on the ending:
Spoiler:
Good point Dimension X about the "father/son" relationship between Wayne and Clift. Somewhat akin to Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader from Star Wars. When it came right down to it - even though they were blood enemies - Vader could not see his own son killed. Growing up, some of the most vicious fistfights I ever witnessed were between brothers; though they would have fought till the sun set unless they were stopped, stopping the fight was actually quite easy, just a matter of stepping between the two. It's sort of like they both wanted the fight to end but stubborn pride prevented either from calling it quits, but when given an excuse, they simply stopped. The next day they were back to being brothers again like nothing ever happened. Maybe that is why I readily accept Red River's ending. Wayne and Clift were family for all intents and purposes, and as the saying goes, "there's a thin line between love & hate", Joanne Dru's speech afforded them an "easy out" to step away from hate and over to love. Though I should watch the film once again just to make sure my recollection of the ending fits with the above. Finally for all our speculation, Dimension X is probably right when he wrote "Then again, maybe it was just an audience tested studio ending forced onto the film makers in order to make a more commercial product."

And for those who wish to view Red River so you can finally read - and perhaps also comment on - what's written under the "black veil" above, now's a good time as it airs on TCM (Tuesday, November 5 - but please note, the 12am time shown below is for the midnight between Monday night/Tuesday morning):

12:00 AM Red River (1948) A young cowhand rebels against his rancher stepfather during a perilous cattle drive. John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Joanne Dru. D: Howard Hawks. BW 133m.