Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Memento really that good?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-02, 02:30 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased Memento back in december (the non SE, but the Canadian version) and I still haven't had an urge to watch it. It looks kinda dull. I've heard good things, but I just think it'll be dumb. Plus, I don't really wanna waste 2+ hours watching it..
Old 08-01-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should really give it a try, especially since you've already bought it. Memento is probably one of the more intelligent movies I've seen in recent memory, as it gives you quite a bit to think about. I certainly wouldn't consider it a waste of two hours...though if you're the type who only wants mindless entertainment, then you bought the wrong film
Old 08-01-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is certainly worth watching, and I recommend you do, although I'm sure I'll be in the minority by saying that it's fairly average. (Most people rave.)

This is one of my "top 100". Not so much because of the acting but because I think it's one of the more original concepts I've seen in a long while. What I enjoy the most is the number it does on my brain...
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Go ahead and watch it. Multiple times. I give you my permission.

(I still can't relate to this "I bought this movie but really don't have a motivation to watch it" concept... )
Old 08-01-02, 02:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
"This movie looks terrible...I'll buy it!"
Old 08-01-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah - I don't quite understand.

If you think "it'll be dumb"or "dull", WHY exactly did you buy it?

Perhaps your answer to MY question will help someone who HAS seen Momento tell you if you'll enjoy it.

If you're afraid of wasting 2+ hours on a truly complex and intruiging film, then sell it and move on to Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch SE.
Old 08-01-02, 03:01 PM
Cool New Member

for me memento went in a kind of bell curve. at first, driving back from the film, it wasnt really on my mind. got the dvd (both of em) and it spiked my interest and oh! oh! i dont know if anybody has noticed this, but if you stop the dvd in a certain scene where leonard is talking about sammy jenkis you will actually see leonard sitting there for a split second!the scene is in like an institution, theses sammy, man walked in front of the camera, theres leonard, and BAM scene cuts. right back to the actual film, when i found this my interest was at its peak. eventually i started going in circles and somehow i came to the conclusion that there were inconsistencies in the film (im probably wrong) and that was the end of my love affair with memento.
p.s. im not joking about the scene with leonard
Old 08-01-02, 03:05 PM

Definitely a good movie that has plenty of rewatch value. The LE also has enough extras to keep you busy for a while.
Old 08-01-02, 03:44 PM

Re: Is Memento really that good?

Originally posted by E-Kane
I purchased Memento back in december (the non SE, but the Canadian version) and I still haven't had an urge to watch it. It looks kinda dull. I've heard good things, but I just think it'll be dumb. Plus, I don't really wanna waste 2+ hours watching it..
*bangs head on desk*

If the movie looks kinda dull and you don't want to waste 2+ hours watching it why did you spend money buying it in the first place?

Seriously, ever heard of renting?

Old 08-01-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uh...then why purchase it at all? I don't mean to be a pain here, but geez...it's not life or death. Just watch it, form your own opinion. It's not like you're going to be facing death and think "man, I wish I'd have watched Ishtar instead of Memento that one night..."
Old 08-01-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WTF
Old 08-01-02, 04:22 PM

I think it could have been one of the best movies of all time if it hadn't been for all the bad language. Now I used to cuss a lot but as I get older I have a hard time listening to characters using the f-word several times in a sentence. To me it sounds like it is coming out of an uneducated teenagers mouth. Of course this is just imho.
Old 08-01-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bshassel
I think it could have been one of the best movies of all time if it hadn't been for all the bad language. Now I used to cuss a lot but as I get older I have a hard time listening to characters using the f-word several times in a sentence. To me it sounds like it is coming out of an uneducated teenagers mouth. Of course this is just imho.
At least you didn't come right out and mention blasphomy or smoking.

JK
Old 08-01-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know if it's my very favorite film in the past 3-5 years, but it's close--and has an extremely high (and unique) replay value.
Old 08-01-02, 05:33 PM
Banned

No.
Old 08-01-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Well, I would say sell it then. If you wont invest 2 hours into something your purchased, then I dunno whats wrong with you..

then again you are located in canada (daily canadian joke met )
Old 08-01-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if it wasn't for the December comment, remember that Memento was going for like $6.00 in Amazon's Gold Box not that long ago. I'd find it hard to pass that up, even if I hated the film.

But, DEFINATELY give it a watch. Well worth it.
Old 08-01-02, 05:53 PM

Memento is awesome, just crack it open. At the very least you will know you want to get rid of it, and you can just be done with it.
Old 08-01-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's really dumb and dull...send it to me and I'll get rid of it!
Old 08-01-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think the first 10 minutes of Momento is better then 99.999999% of all other movies ever made EVER.

it's a great movie, you should really check it out.
Old 08-01-02, 06:38 PM

Why'd you buy it if you won't watch it?
Letting it sit on your shelf collecting dust kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Quite possibly the best film of 2001.
On my Top 10 Film List for the past 10 years as well as All-Time Favorites List.

Watch it...
Old 08-01-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Is Memento really that good?

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

*bangs head on desk*

If the movie looks kinda dull and you don't want to waste 2+ hours watching it why did you spend money buying it in the first place?

Seriously, ever heard of renting?

Hey man! Don't hurt you head, just because someone isn't very smart...

You bought the movie, so you owe it to yourself to watch it, rather than have it collect dust. Do you buy a lot of movies that you think looks dull, and then never watch it?
Old 08-01-02, 07:31 PM

actually the film runs under 2 hours
113 minutes

Guess you dont have any excuse now
Old 08-01-02, 07:38 PM

I have the original US release. Enjoyed it. The SE is supposed to let you watch the film in time sequential order. Has anyone here done that, and what was it like?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.