Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stupidest edit for TV (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stupidest edit for TV (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, if you all dont have nothing to watch tonight, there's always a chance to watch reservoir dogs on the bravo network.
Old 03-11-07, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone uploaded Dee Hard 2 dubs on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90Hj9lsEq4
Old 03-11-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Where'd you get that scar from eh, eatin pineapple?"

"How'm I gonna get a scar like that eatin pineapple man?"
Old 03-11-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are all good, but the one that always sticks out in my mind is "Police Academy", for a very specific scene. Remember when they're doing the driving practice and the woman with the mousy voice runs over the one cadet's feet? He then yells a racial slur at her which I am loath to repeat here, though it begins with a "j". Hightower, taking personal offense, then flips the car over in which the cadet has taken refuge.

Well, I caught the movie edited on network television one night and "g*dd*mn*d j*******" was replaced with "goshdarned nincompoop". Which, over course, makes absolutely no sense with Hightower's reaction which follows.
Old 03-12-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shark Attack 3: Megladon was shown on USA which gave a great edit:

Uncut:

Cataline Stone: [sigh] I'm exhausted.
Ben Carpenter: Yeah, me too. But you know I'm really wired. What do you say I... take you home and eat your pussy.

Then cuts to them getting it on in the shower.

Edited version:

Cataline Stone: [sigh] I'm exhausted.
Ben Carpenter: Yeah, me too. But you know I'm really wired. What do you say I... take you home and watch some Lucy.

Then cuts to them in the shower.

So thats why the Lucy show was so popular
Old 03-12-07, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Anchorman was on ABC not too long ago and was mostly left intact. However there was one great edit.

In the original film, as Ron and Veronica are feuding, she changes something in the teleprompter and Ron blindly winds up reading "Go fuck yourself, San Diego" which then gets him fired. I knew this would pose a problem for the TV version, and I wondered what word they'd dub over to make it suitable for television. They couldn't cut the scene entirely, since it is what launches the film into the third act.

What ends up happening is they get to the point where he's about to say the line, then they cut away to people watching the newscast and dub in an entire line from earlier in the film. So in an entirely different voice you hear "You're a dirty bitch" and then they cut back to the original "...San Diego" end to that sentence. No effort whatsoever, and yet I laughed for five straight minutes at how ridiculous the edit was.
Old 03-12-07, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
die hard 2:

yippee ki-yay mister falcon.....
I heard that. It was so funny.
Old 03-12-07, 10:55 AM

I didn't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but American Pie features a pretty funny substitute. Instead of "Suck me, beautiful" they use "Touch me, beautiful", which I think is more creepy.
Old 03-12-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
I saw the faculty on tv no too long ago, and they substituted fuck with phooey.
Old 03-12-07, 11:40 AM

I didnt read all 6 pages, but Blazing Saddles is heavily edited and was shown on the family channel (abc family or whatever it is now). Anyways during the beans/farting scene they completely muted the sound so you just see the guys raising their legs.

Pretty lame.
Old 03-12-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I caught a little of Heat on tv, after the credits and DeNiro stealing the ambulance...they cut to Pacino pulling him over for coffee.
Old 03-12-07, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
I caught a little of Heat on tv, after the credits and DeNiro stealing the ambulance...they cut to Pacino pulling him over for coffee.
How is that even possible? That scene is like halfway through the movie.
Old 03-12-07, 02:40 PM

I remember watching a bit of Forrest Gump on TV and they cut the whole Jenny's father subplot. Talk about butchering.
Old 03-12-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC, in the network version of Star Trek III, a good portion of the opening sequences was chopped up so the movie would fit into a two hour time slot. One key thing that was cut was the scene after Kruge receives the Genesis project data from his lover, who is on another ship. In the TV cut, Kruge's lover bids him success, and they apparently part ways.

What was cut was where Kruge informs her that she was about to be a martyr for the Klingon empire; she accepts this, moments before her ship is blown up.
Old 03-12-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by project86
I didnt read all 6 pages, but Blazing Saddles is heavily edited and was shown on the family channel (abc family or whatever it is now). Anyways during the beans/farting scene they completely muted the sound so you just see the guys raising their legs.

Pretty lame.
Of all the parts I thought would be edited, they edit that one.

That's really, really lame.
Old 03-12-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Apparantly.. asshole is an acceptable word for broadcast however, cockboy, isn't?
Old 03-12-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Apparantly.. asshole is an acceptable word for broadcast however, cockboy, isn't?
haha, a friend complained to me yesterday... COWBOY!
Old 04-02-07, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ENDContra
Blazing Saddles - I believe this was on FOX Family when I caught a bit of it (they might even edit it more than they have to), but ni**er was muted out everytime. Honestly, when the old man says "The sheriff is a--", it just doesnt have the same effect. I dunno...if I was a TV exec, rather than try to avoid offending anyone, I would just offend everyone equally.
This is a somewhat recent phenomenon with this particular film. I know that when this was aired on CBS in the late '70s/early '80s, the N-word was left intact. It's the politically-correct backlash of the late '80s or the 90s that has stations editing this out now, which is really a shame as one of the main points of this movie was to point out the ridiculousness of racism.
Old 04-02-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Jeeze Louise! Jeeze Louise, Doc, you disintigrated Einstein.
Old 04-02-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's what I always assumed Marty was actually saying, because a lot of my childhood I just saw Back to the Future on a videocassette that I had taped off of television.
Old 04-02-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still partial to Biff's immortal line:

"You son of a butthead".
Old 04-02-07, 07:52 PM

The most nonsensical TV edit I've ever seen was from the network TV version of Mallrats.

When Silent Bob does his best Batman imitation, Jay's "FLY FATASS, FLY!" is replaced with "FLY BADASS FLY!"

What the hell? Badass is OK for network TV but Fatass isn't?
Old 04-03-07, 08:08 AM

In the Sci-Fi version of Army of Darkness they changed the line "I'm bad Ash, and you're Good Ash!" by muting the word "Ash" both times.
Old 04-03-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would they do that?
Old 06-02-07, 02:40 PM

I just caught a bit of Fargo on Bravo, and Gaear's (Stormare's) line "I'm fucking hungry now" is changed to "I'm full of hunger now", and later, when Showalter (Buscemi) is pissed at him for never talking, he says "You haven't said one fruitful word this whole time" and then when he's not going to talk anymore, he says "total fruitless silence".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.