Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-28-02, 07:55 PM   #26
Assymilator
Cool New Member

The Game's ending was really good!
Old 04-28-02, 08:02 PM   #27
flabio

Quote:
Originally posted by FiveO

I disagree. I thought the ending of The Game was brilliant.
Ageeed. I disagree, too. What was the question again?
Old 04-28-02, 08:09 PM   #28
LBPound
DVD Talk Legend

I think the ending of The Game is great, as well. You might want to use a spoiler in your post, anyway.
Old 04-28-02, 08:24 PM   #29
Groucho

JustinS: which ending of The Abyss didn't you like, the theatrical, the special edition, or both?

LBPound: Better not see More American Graffiti. They pretty much use that ending part of the first film as the script.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 04-28-02, 08:50 PM   #30
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake Plissken
I disagree.

(removed - JustinS)

Thanks for ruining the movie for me, I never saw it
Use spoiler tags thats what they're there for

Last edited by jfoobar; 04-29-02 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-29-02, 01:44 AM   #31
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by FiveO

I disagree. I thought the ending of The Game was brilliant.
I'm sort of between the two of you. What I strongly disliked about the ending was that there really was no way they could have safely controlled...

Spoiler:
where Douglas jumped from the building. Even the line from James Rebhorn's character about how he would have had to push him off if he didn't jump didn't dispel the rather ersatz air of the ending for me.

I still enjoyed the film though.
Old 04-29-02, 01:47 AM   #32
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Groucho
JustinS: which ending of The Abyss didn't you like, the theatrical, the special edition, or both?
Theatrical. I have still not seen the SE, as of yet.
Old 04-29-02, 02:36 AM   #33
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Here's another one: The Contender. This film featured one of the biggest cop-out nonsensical endings in the history of cinema.
Old 04-29-02, 09:35 AM   #34
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you guys are missing the boat with Titanic

PHP Code:
In my endinga fleet of battleships just happen to be making their way through the crash site as the ship begins going down.  They lend a hand and rescue all but those killed in the initial collision
I know this would also change the course of world history, but the fact is, if my ending were fact, there would have been no reason to make this movie. As a result, fewer cover shots of Leo on "Tigerbeat" (not that I read "Tigerbeat"), Good Will Hunting or some other deserving nominee wins the Oscar, and Celine Dion might have actually stayed retired.
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Charles Guiteau, in a letter to General William Sherman in 1881.
Old 04-29-02, 09:36 AM   #35
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oops! Sorry, thought those were spoiler tags. Hope I didn't ruin the ending for anyone.
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Charles Guiteau, in a letter to General William Sherman in 1881.
Old 04-29-02, 10:20 AM   #36
LBPound
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
LBPound: Better not see More American Graffiti. They pretty much use that ending part of the first film as the script.
Yuck. Anyhow, I don't think I'd be in the minority if I didn't see that movie.
Old 04-29-02, 04:54 PM   #37
Rypro 525
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Oops! Sorry, thought those were spoiler tags. Hope I didn't ruin the ending for anyone.
we all know it sinks right. at least you did not say that
Spoiler:
leo dies
Old 04-29-02, 04:59 PM   #38
Groucho

Quote:
Originally posted by LBPound

Yuck. Anyhow, I don't think I'd be in the minority if I didn't see that movie.
My favorite moment on the Episode 1 DVD is on the documentary when George Lucas himself bags on More American Graffiti. I've seen it, and I agree 100% with you. No need for the titles at the end of the first movie, and no need for sequel. Just end the movie.
Old 04-29-02, 05:15 PM   #39
JuryDuty
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pay It Forward

Spoiler:
I thought it was too forced having the kid die. It was a great movie until then...and then it became such a disappointment.

Proud winner of DVDTalk Survivor Game: Round 4 and DVDTalk Amazing Race Game: Round 7 and Round 8

"24" eats unlikely for breakfast with the whole day left to explore absurd and preposterous. Please accept this before watching the next episode. -- MikahC
Old 04-29-02, 06:01 PM   #40
LBPound
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

My favorite moment on the Episode 1 DVD is on the documentary when George Lucas himself bags on More American Graffiti. I've seen it, and I agree 100% with you. No need for the titles at the end of the first movie, and no need for sequel. Just end the movie.
Yup, I remember that. He's complaining about how More American Graffiti made $200 and that it's unpredictable how much Star Wars will make. I found that interesting, because many filmmakers concern themselves with making good movies. There he was, on the set, talking about how much the movie would gross. Now I suppose he's producer as well, so we should cut him slack, but it was interesting anyway.

If you press stop at the 108 minute mark of American Graffiti or so, I'd consider it a great movie. That damn "Where are they Now" sequence almost makes me take it down a notch.

And his explanation of including it in the American Graffiti documentary is so nonsensical. He says something like "I always find it interesting knowing what happens to characters next". The fact that the whole movie was about this little town atmosphere on one night and what types of things were priorities for the characters is completely weakened by his stupid little Scooby Doo device in the final twenty seconds.

End rant, but I'm glad to know that someone agrees with me...even if it is you, Groucho!
Old 04-29-02, 06:04 PM   #41
Movie_Man
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mulholland Drive

Spoiler:
Have something happen that actually makes any sort of sense
Old 04-29-02, 06:07 PM   #42
grunter
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remove the cheesy Zamfir master-of-the-pan-flute music and multi-world celebration scenes from the end of "Return of the Jedi:Special Edition" and replace them with the original Ewok Celebration song - dammit.

If you are female, gay, bisexual, atheist, black, immigrant, poor, progressive, intellectual, open minded, open hearted, if you hold alternative views, dress funny, dance, enjoy sex, read seditious literature, believe in peace and funky spirituality and don't particularly care for a sneering angry self-righteous well-armed anti-everything deity, you are about to find out. The hard way. And so is everyone else." - Mark Morford, SFGate
Old 04-30-02, 09:13 AM   #43
KitchenSink
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hannibal.

Even though the movie ending was a little better than the book, it was still cheesy.

Spoiler:
Lecter should have been captured by Starling. If they wanted a sequel set-up (it seems pretty obvious they did), they should have shown Lecter loaded into some kind of vehicle while Starling is congratulated - while breathing a sigh of relief. Then right before the credits rolled, an accomplice causes the vehicle with Lecter in it to be stopped - then the last shot of the movie is the vehicle sitting with all of it's doors open wide ...
Old 10-30-02, 11:17 PM   #44
Gattman

Re: Mulholland Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by Movie_Man
Spoiler:
Have something happen that actually makes any sort of sense
It made sense to me
Old 10-31-02, 01:35 AM   #45
Kudama
Banned

Re: Re: Mulholland Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by Gattman
It made sense to me
Me too! I just saw it today and after hearing all the guff this film caught about being too off the wall, I was surprised at the coherence of the different stories being told. PlusÖ well, it was so amazing to watch. Not boring for a second.

Anyway, the ending that I wish was different was Mimic.
Spoiler:
Jeremy Northam should have died eradicating that colony and they should have made it clear that there were more colonies and there WOULD BE NO SEQUELS because it was OVER!!!! (Goodnight little mammals!)

The rest of the movie was so on as to the capabilities of insect vs mammal (engineering, not size-wise) and then it went haywire (happy ending Hollywood style).

Last edited by Kudama; 10-31-02 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-31-02, 02:09 AM   #46
mookiemeister
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Didn't like Alien^3 ending. Actually I didn't like the whole movie after they kill off Newt and Hicks in the first few minutes of the movie.
We all see what we want to see. He sees hate and fear. You have to look with better eyes than that - Lindsay Brigman
My DVD Collection: DVD Profiler
Old 10-31-02, 02:36 AM   #47
Kudama
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mookiemeister
...Actually I didn't like the whole movie after they kill off Newt and Hicks in the first few minutes of the movie.
I loved that.

(I always thought Jones was much better as the original ďreason Ripley had to go backĒ plot device type thing. Cameron is a rip off artist and putting a human kid in place of a cat was cheap as hell. (IMHO)

Hicks? He was all right for originality if you hadnít seen any other American made action movies in the last 5 years. I liked his character, and was happy to be challenged at the onset with his absence.
Old 10-31-02, 03:26 AM   #48
mookiemeister
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Kudama
I loved that.

(I always thought Jones was much better as the original ďreason Ripley had to go backĒ plot device type thing. Cameron is a rip off artist and putting a human kid in place of a cat was cheap as hell. (IMHO)

Hicks? He was all right for originality if you hadnít seen any other American made action movies in the last 5 years. I liked his character, and was happy to be challenged at the onset with his absence.
But have you examine Alien, Aliens, and Alien^3 together in a larger context and see if it means anything? In the first two movies, Ripley beat the odds in her struggle to survive against the alien(s). Then all of sudden, Newt and Hicks are killed off at the beginning of the 3rd movie, and then at the end Ripley committed suicide. What has Ripley's whole struggle against the alien(s) in the first two movies amount to if at the end everyone she saved died anyways? She could have just gave up her struggle in the middle of first movie and walk up to the alien, 'kill me', because it wouldn't have made any difference between that scenario and the one where she died at the penal colony. All her triumphs against the aliens were all meaningless in the end.
We all see what we want to see. He sees hate and fear. You have to look with better eyes than that - Lindsay Brigman
My DVD Collection: DVD Profiler
Old 10-31-02, 03:29 AM   #49
UAIOE
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Kudama
Hicks? He was all right for originality if you hadnít seen any other American made action movies in the last 5 years.

Huh? He's not a very orginal charater because movies made 10 years after "Aliens" was released had charaters just like him?

I thought the ending to "Aliens" was a nice change from the one at the end of "Alien". Instead of having a single person to discuss the accounts of what had happened now you have three.

I guess thats just two more people for the company to ignore.

I would have kept the ending to Alien 3 (or do something similar) but instead Newt and Hicks would have survived and the two of them could have plotted revenge against the company, and the aliens as well.
Old 10-31-02, 05:14 AM   #50
Calculon
DVD Talk Special Edition

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Spoiler:
The whole "Joker uploaded his mind into a cheesy microchip thing" really ruined the film for me. It would have been so much more effective if Robin was simply driven totally insane by his traumatic experiences.
Sponsored Links