Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-09-02, 10:59 PM   #1
Israphel

Sandra Bullock

Sandra Bullock must have been very busy last year. She has two movies coming out, Murder by Numbers and Tales from the Ya Ya Sisterhood. Since Hope Floats, I've been waiting for another good movie from her. (I wasn't impressed with Miss Congeneality) Anyone else a Sandra fan???
Old 04-10-02, 03:59 PM   #2
JimRochester
DVD Talk Legend

I would watch Sandra read the ingredients label on my toothpaste. I liked Miss Congeniality and most everything she does although many were pretty poor.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // Panasonic 58" VIERA Plasma, Pioneer Elite vsx91, SONY s590 375 titles, Toshiba A35 79 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Most wanted BD: Bugsy/DieHard 4(R rated)/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(DC)/(an affordable)Sleepless In Seattle/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies(2014?)/While You Were Sleeping.
Old 04-10-02, 04:19 PM   #3
Geofferson

My fav's from her include Speed, The Net and Gun Shy.
Old 04-10-02, 04:26 PM   #4
Abob Teff
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahh, Sandra Bullock. Hollywood's last "girl next door." How could you not like Miss Congeniality?! It was hilarious! And the commentary track . . . I hate to say it, but I really like her in Demolition Man. See, she has turned me into a rambling moron.

dvdjunkie32 forgets how Otterville works: I only asked for some simple advice, not 7 pages of mockery.
Old 04-10-02, 04:30 PM   #5
Groucho

For some reason my wife keeps dragging me to Bullock's movies. I'm shocked that somebody liked Hope Floats. I thought that was one of the worst films I saw that year. It even managed to be worse than Practical Magic.

Miss Congeniality was fairly entertaining. Nothing special, but fine for light material. I liked the digs it took at beauty pagents, but I was disappointed that it backed down from them by the end.

This new movie looks like Silence of the Lambs Lite. Although it's nice to see Bullock in something other than a romantic comedy for once.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 04-10-02, 05:53 PM   #6
palebluedot
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have actually met and spent a little time talking to Sandra Bullock and I must say she is one of the nicest, most down to earth, and naturally pretty women I have ever met.

However, with that said I don't think that she is that great of an actress. She does okay but she has made some real clunkers. Both Speed movies(especially 2) and The Net are IMO some of the worst movies ever made.

So I like Sandra Bullock the person but not the actress.
Old 04-10-02, 06:22 PM   #7
Iron_Giant
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Miss Congeniality was great. That and the NET are the two best movies she has done. I think she should make more funny movies.

I may go see her new movie: Murder by numbers.
Old 04-10-02, 06:24 PM   #8
DVD-Justin

Quote:
Originally posted by palebluedot
I have actually met and spent a little time talking to Sandra Bullock and I must say she is one of the nicest, most down to earth, and naturally pretty women I have ever met.
damn you're lucky

Sandra's got 3 movies comming out in the calendar year of 2002. This after having no movies come out in 2001. (Miss Congeniality as released in christmas 2000 i believe).
Old 04-10-02, 06:46 PM   #9
kian69
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really loved her in Speed.
Old 05-02-02, 08:34 AM   #10
costanza187
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't paid much attention to her in the past few years
Old 05-02-02, 08:38 AM   #11
Geofferson

I'm not a big fan of her, but I liked her on both Gun Shy and Murder By Numbers.
Old 05-02-02, 12:06 PM   #12
JesseCuster
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In interviews and such, she comes across as one of the most genuinely likeable people I've ever seen. While I don't think she's Julianne Moore or anything as an actress, I don't think she's worse than most actresses today and she's definitely better looking and more charismatic than the majority of them. Her problem, at least since early in her career, has been picking bad material. She does a perfectly good job in the films she's been in, they've just been substandard. I noticed 2-3 years ago that she fired her agent so maybe she's starting to get some better roles.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 11-22-02 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 02:07 PM   #13
saoirse
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She makes my ears bleed cause she always seems to be whining. Nope, I can't stand her.
Old 11-20-02, 04:10 AM   #14
FHaggis

I wouldn't say that she's a great actress by any means, but she's overall decent--if not pretty high above average--when it comes to comedies. As we all know there are many sub-categories in the comedy genre, and that is there I think she particularly shines. Although I first noticed her in "Demolition Man" and later "Love Potion No. 9", I think that her best comedy flick so far is "While You Were Sleeping"--which was hilariously good with the great supporting cast. "Practical Magic" was decent for the most part and "Miss Congeniality" was very amusing, but could have been better. However, I'm looking forward to watching "Two Weeks Notice" on December 20th!

I know a lot of people detested "Speed", but I thought was fantastic mindless fun and a worthwhile fix if you're an action flick afficionado. But as for Sandra's role in it, I'd say nearly forgettable.

Drama-wise, her role in "The Net" was just *marginally* better than in "Speed" but I don't blame her for the inanity of the role or the movie overall. Whatever potential she has for drama flicks was stamped out in this movie. It was nicely directed and scored, but hell, not even Jeremy Northam's acting was up to par! Personally, I think that the screenplay should have been written by people with more talent.

Now in *favor* of her ability to act in a drama film, I think that she did surprisingly well as a supporting actress in "A Time to Kill". I have yet to see "28 Days"...

If you watch enough of any one actor's films, you'll get a sense of emerging patterns. This is why I avoided "Two if by Sea", "In Love and War", "Speed 2", "Hope Floats", "Murder by Numbers", and "Gun Shy". Watched "Forces of Nature" against my own will, but that's a different story... FTR, Ben Affleck should--no, strike that--NEEDS to stop acting. His face bothers me.

[Non sequitur: If you're a fan of Sanda Bullock, check out this link:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/News...ock/index.html]

Last edited by FHaggis; 11-20-02 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-20-02, 10:03 AM   #15
mookiemeister
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sandra Bullock is one of my fav actors. Some of her films I enjoyed:
While You Were Sleeping
Speed
Miss Congeniality

Haven't seen some of her latest movies yet.
We all see what we want to see. He sees hate and fear. You have to look with better eyes than that - Lindsay Brigman
My DVD Collection: DVD Profiler
Old 11-20-02, 04:07 PM   #16
JimRochester
DVD Talk Legend

Hey look the Search button does work.

Liked The Net, Speed, While You Were Sleeping, Miss Congeniality.

I could not imagine that Speed 2 could be half as bad as people were saying but I found out just how wrong I could be about that assumption
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // Panasonic 58" VIERA Plasma, Pioneer Elite vsx91, SONY s590 375 titles, Toshiba A35 79 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Most wanted BD: Bugsy/DieHard 4(R rated)/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(DC)/(an affordable)Sleepless In Seattle/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies(2014?)/While You Were Sleeping.
Old 11-20-02, 08:34 PM   #17
jetflair

Speed was awesome, and I think Sandra Bullock did a great job in the role. I'll second FHaggis - Ben Affleck needs to stop acting!

"I know most people think movies are just for killing time, but this is more like tying it up in the basement and torturing it for two hours."
Old 11-21-02, 09:25 AM   #18
matome
DVD Talk Legend

Loved: Speed, While You Were Sleeping, Two if by Sea, Demolition Man

Liked: The Net, 28 Days, Murder by Numbers, A Time To Kill, Wrestling Ernest Hemingway, The Vanishing (1993)

Mediocre: Hope Floats, Forces of Nature, Practical Magic, Miss Congeniality

Bad: Speed 2, Gun Shy, In Love and War

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 11-21-02, 01:52 PM   #19
Real Estate Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by palebluedot

If that had been me, I'd have been like the whole conversation. Just something about her that makes me crazy - pretty face, big gorgeous lips, hot body.....what's not to like? Who cares about the movie?
Old 11-21-02, 05:08 PM   #20
Hokeyboy
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to filter coffee through her soiled panties...
Or 2 headed twins?
- wm lopez
But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!
Old 11-22-02, 01:50 PM   #21
junior

One of my friends has a theory that most guys are into her because she looks like she's "gettable"; like you'd actually have a chance if you ever met her.
Old 11-22-02, 02:05 PM   #22
Jackskeleton
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
all these post and no pictures? Man the forum must be missing something lately.
Old 11-22-02, 03:06 PM   #23
LBPound
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-22-02, 10:46 PM   #24
the narrator
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there is definately something very sexy about SAndra. Most of her movies aren't that great though, but I still watch them. I"ve probably seen 10 or so, and the only three I liked were Murder By Number, The Net, and Speed.
Old 11-22-02, 11:46 PM   #25
SuperJim88
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No offense to you all, but ever since Speed, Bullock has been going down the hill and hasn't had a hit yet. Just like Keanu Reeve, tough luck.....

And the one coming out soon, Two Weeks Notice, doesn't look like will be a hit either...... :-(