Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DONNIE DARKO -- Disussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

DONNIE DARKO -- Disussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definitely thought this was a good movie, but I do believe it is overrated by fans (although it received little publicity initially). I fail to see how this is one of the best movies of this century.

I also own this movie on DVD - it's a great buy for the price, and I recommend it. But I can't say it's a fantastic flick. After watching it several times and reading several threads, I don't believe the director wrapped up everything as nicely as some viewers think. And I think they are stretching what was said in the film (especially the ending).

Still, the artistic direction is top notch, and this film does leave a powerful impression--even if you're not quite sure what the impression is.
Old 08-24-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it at somebody's movie party...it was strange, yet oddly enough, I couldnt move from my seat for the duration of the movie, I didnt want to miss a second.
Old 09-02-03, 10:12 AM

Can someone explain Donnie Darko to me?

I'm just a very confused young man right now.
Old 09-02-03, 10:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Assuming you watched it on DVD, a lot of answers can be found in the special feature with excerpts from the book on time travel. Also, a search on this forum should reveal a few threads about it as well.
Old 09-02-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I hate it when people post that there are many previous posts on this topic but...there are plenty of DEEPLY discussed posts on this topic

Check out the "Search" here.
Old 09-02-03, 03:53 PM

I would try to explain what happens in Donnie Darko, but I lost the plot because it became a pretentious, muddled, disjointed attempt at being profound. I just kept thinking about how hot Jena Malone was for the last half hour of it.
Old 09-02-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great movie...check out imdb's message boards too...some pretty decent info there.
Old 09-03-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
I would try to explain what happens in Donnie Darko, but I lost the plot because it became a pretentious, muddled, disjointed attempt at being profound.
Funny. You’d think someone with “supreme” in their user name would be more cautious about calling something pretentious. ;- )
Old 09-03-03, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by audrey
Funny. You’d think someone with “supreme” in their user name would be more cautious about calling something pretentious. ;- )
You're attracted to me, aren't you? It's okay, it happens all the time. People are just drawn to my extremely creative screename. But now is not the time for worship of the Supreme one. Now is the time to discuss Donnie Darko. Bechman 2000 has been waiting a whole day for someone to explain Darko to him. So many fans of the this film, you'd think one of them would jump at the chance to talk about it.

Might I suggest you change your screename to " Absolute Audrey " ? It has a ring to it.
Old 09-03-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by audrey

Well, include me in the minority of people who didn't care for the movie, either.

Old 09-03-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The movie attempts to be confusing for the sake of being confusing, for the sake of being discussed over the internet. Now if the content of the movie was deep enough within itself to warrant discussion, I'd have no problem with that, but this movie requires outside knowledge, which to some equals "cool" or "extreme!!".
Old 09-03-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
Might I suggest you change your screename to " Absolute Audrey " ? It has a ring to it.
Yes, it does have a certain ring. Not really my style, but thanks for the suggestion. : -)

WRT Donnie Darko, I don’t find it confusing or muddled. The movie portrays a sequence of events that support multiple interpretations; I see the approach as open ended rather than confusing. I also think the movie stands alone and can be enjoyed without reading Roberta’s book or perusing other “outside” references.

Of course, nothing appeals to everyone; some people like Donnie Darko, some don’t—no surprise there. Regardless of one’s opinion on the movie, it is an impressive achievement given the budget.

As noted above, DD has been vigorously discussed; below are a few past threads. You may find what you are looking for in one of them.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...t=donnie+darko

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...t=donnie+darko
Old 09-03-03, 10:49 AM
Cool New Member

The movie attempts to be confusing for the sake of being confusing
No, seems you've gotten Richard Kelly confused with David Lynch.
Old 09-03-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not all questions posed in a film have to be answered by the film itself.

If you're OK with that statement, you're more than likely OK with Donnie Darko.
Old 09-04-03, 12:39 AM

Jepthah, I agree. It seems American audiences especially have a demand for literalism in film, and prefer their films to be Encyclopedia Brown adventures with the answers neatly explained on the back page.

BTW, though I am a big fan of Donnie Darko, there are far more about films out there. The interpretation of this one depends on whether you take the final scenes as literally happening or as part of the main character's psychological state.

Actually, the key to understanding the film is the fat guy in the windbreaker.

Think about it.
Old 09-04-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by mookyman

Think about it.
You know, I've watched this about 5 times and I only just recently noticed his multiple appearances.
Old 09-04-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RevLiver
You know, I've watched this about 5 times and I only just recently noticed his multiple appearances.
I never have. Where else is he?!
Old 09-04-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Jepthah, I agree. It seems American audiences especially have a demand for literalism in film, and prefer their films to be Encyclopedia Brown adventures with the answers neatly explained on the back page.

Ooooh here we go
Old 09-05-03, 09:21 AM

I find it very difficult to believe people watching this movie the first time can follow its plot. The problem isn't so much that things need outside explanations, the problem is that things aren't based in reality/physics in addition to needing outside explanations. In order to understand what happened in the movie you have to read Roberta's book or ask someone who has because its a created science.
Old 09-05-03, 10:23 PM

I must not have been paying attention in all my previous viewings as I have never noticed a fat guy in a windbreaker. Now'll I have to watch it when I get home from work, which won't be till about 1:30 AM, so I can find this fat guy.
Old 09-06-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by Jepthah
I never have. Where else is he?!
I've seen him twice and I'm tempted to watch again and try to ignore the plot and just look for him.

The obvious is when Donnie tells Gretchen there's a fat guy in a windbreaker watching them.

The second is on the lawn during the party at the Darko house towards the end.

Anyone else see any more of him? It's like Where's Waldo.
Old 09-06-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by C Roberts
I find it very difficult to believe people watching this movie the first time can follow its plot. (snip)
You're welcome to believe what you like, but most of my friends didn't seem to have any difficulty.
Old 09-07-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RevLiver
I've seen him twice and I'm tempted to watch again and try to ignore the plot and just look for him.

The obvious is when Donnie tells Gretchen there's a fat guy in a windbreaker watching them.

The second is on the lawn during the party at the Darko house towards the end.

Anyone else see any more of him? It's like Where's Waldo.
Spoiler:
He also shows up at the end of the film after Donnie dies as one of the inspectors from the FAA. Richard Kelly's director's commentary on the DVD points him out several times.

BTW, though I am a big fan of Donnie Darko, there are far more about films out there. The interpretation of this one depends on whether you take the final scenes as literally happening or as part of the main character's psychological state.
Never thought about that before mookyman. May have to rewatch this today under that light.
Old 09-07-03, 08:44 AM

Cool. And by the way, I prefer the literal interpretation.
Old 03-01-04, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Donnie Darko [spoilers]

I just watched this on cable tonight for the first time. It's one of those movies that people always tell me is so great and I gotta see it and stuff. Well, I did like it a lot. yet, I'm totally lost.

So the jet engine came from the future, ripped off the plane Donnie's mom and sister were on, when it hit a "wormhole" that took it to an alternate reality where Donnie was really home when it hit, and he died? So Frank the evil rabbit was warning him about his death, but he was gonna die anyway? Or was it more like Donnie really did die, but this was more a way that he (his spirit) was sort of in purgatory kinda like Jacob's Ladder, and Frank was kind of trying to guide him to the end where he'd know the people who's lived he effected would be happy in the end or something, hence the happy laughing right before he got smushed?

Sheesh I'm confusing myself even more now just talking about it. Anyone else that saw it, what do you think of it and stuff? Did I just miss some vital clue when I ran to the bathroom or is it just one of those confuse everyone kinda movies?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.