Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Official DVD Replacement Cover & Case Thread - Part 4

Old 02-21-02, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any cover that is under 150dpi is not really fit for quality printing. So please use you own discretion before printing out any cover!

Feel free to post cover requests and links to other covers in this thread.

Previous Threads

Part 1 is MIA

Part 2

Part 3

DVD Cataloging Programs

DVDProfiler

DVDTracker

DVDAficionado

DVDProTrack
Courtesy of sracer

Cover Printers & Editors

CoverXP (Printer & Editor)

Cover Print (Be sure and download the patch if using a HP printer)

Tutorials on Printing & Scanning Covers

Thread "How to print covers to replace snap cases"

DVDCoverart.com Tutorial (HELP)

DVD Cover Elements

Logos

Logotype Free

Thread "WANTED: DVD cover elements in eps format"

Movie Poster Scans

Hundland Poster Archive

Ultimate Pix-Movies Posters

PostersFAST

Anime Cover Sites

Anime Prime DVD Covers

Wrex Grafix DVD Covers

Escaflowne DTS Limited Edition Cover & Book Region 2

Cover Sites

DVDCoverArt.com Covers and Cover request forum
Courtesy of mdX

realitycrash.com
Courtesy of ckolchak, Disc-Flipper & mdX

Mickey's DVD Covers
Courtesy of Mickey

Evil Dead II LE Cover
Cover courtesy of RoboDad
Web space courtesy of Kagenin

DVD Cover Art by Andrea
Courtesy of Andrea

Richelieu Theater, Dirty Dozen & From Earth to the Moon, 4 Disc
Courtesy of Richelieu

Mr.Moody's Cover Designs
Courtesy of Mr.Moody

Fallen
Silence of the Lambs, Two Disc
Courtesy of kefrank

North by Northwest
Courtesy of ToddSm66

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Series, R2
Courtesy of tezmo

X-Files & Sopranos Covers by Rob Scriva

James Bond Covers

Alien Legacy Cover and Insert

Superman Covers

dvdcovers.20m.com

Total Movie 1-4

ID4 & Roger Rabbit

TransFormers US & Canadian Covers

Hong Kong Cinema, HK DVD Covers by Email!

Doctor Who Covers Regions 2 and 4

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Covers Region 2 Season 2

Blade Runner R2

DellaMorte DellAmore & Hellraiser III German DVD Covers

Cover Sites with Search Engine

www.cdcovers.cc

Coversite French R2 & Some R1

mediaminer.org

mega-search.net

Cover Sites for DVDProfiler

DVD 2001 By Kansas

Coverscans By Trpe

DVD Case Information

DVD Cases and Hub Images

Gods Lab Rat, DVD Cases

Case Sites

DVD Empire - Alpha

DVD Empire - Amaray

inetdvd.com

dddhouse - HK DVD cases

Bags Unlimited
Be sure to check the shipping!

Sleeve City

For large quantities

CDROM2GO.com

C4Component

Custom Collectors Case Sites

Design Paul Champagne

Please report any broken links.

Last edited by RMan360; 03-14-02 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-21-02, 05:20 PM
mdX

a cover for American Pie: Ultimate Edition is now up on my site (available for both single and double sized cases)
Old 02-22-02, 01:54 PM

American Beauty

is anyone interested in producing an alternate cover for this film? I would love the cover image to be mena suvari covered in roses. Y'know the dream sequence image. is anyone interested in this?
Old 02-22-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to attempt to make some of my own DVD covers, and the links above are most helpful. Thanks!

However, there is one link that is not on the list, which I need the most. Does anybody know where I could find hi-res images of poster art? This might not be available anywhere, so I might have to change my strategy a bit...but maybe I will be surprised.
Old 02-22-02, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by ToddSm66
Does anybody know where I could find hi-res images of poster art?
Places that sell posters, like http://www.postersfast.com/ will often have images that work out to about 100-150 dpi, and usually have a logo superimposed in the image. They're somewhat useable if you take the time to get rid of the logo.

I hope someone has a better answer, but I don't think there is one, other than buy the poster and scan it yourself.
Old 02-22-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anybody know where I could find hi-res images of poster art?
Try the newsgroup alt.binaries.pictures.movie-posters
Old 02-22-02, 04:16 PM

I'm going to attempt to make some of my own DVD covers, and the links above are most helpful. Thanks!

However, there is one link that is not on the list, which I need the most. Does anybody know where I could find hi-res images of poster art? This might not be available anywhere, so I might have to change my strategy a bit...but maybe I will be surprised.
You're welcome!

Another place to find scans of poster art is http://www.hundland.com/posters/main.htm. Look for the titles with a PIA beside them, these are their best quality scans.

I will add a poster art and logo catagory next update.

-Matt
Old 02-22-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks! I went out to Borders tonight and picked a few books with full page reproductions of poster art that I can scan in as well. Hopefully I can find everything I need.

What I am going to attempt to do (if anybody really cares) is to make an AFI Top 100 DVD Cover set - complete with spine numbers (Citizen Kane = #1, Casablanca = #2, The Godfather = #3, etc) and original poster art on the front covers.

If the set turns out halfway decent, I'll post them up on a site and share them with everyone.
Old 02-22-02, 05:04 PM

Two year old tore-up my Young Guns II case. Can anyone help? Thanks....
Old 02-22-02, 08:02 PM

How are those BMW Films covers coming along?
Old 02-22-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work, RMan360!

after a long breather, i've started to work on another jacket, this one for PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE.
i've never been happy with the image they've used on the video boxes, ever since they first released it on tape back in '86. i've been hoping to run across some form of the original neon-style illustration art and finally found something a couple weeks ago while out of state for my job.
not perfect, but
Old 02-22-02, 08:55 PM

Looking for a cover of Moulin Rouge. I've searched here and the web in general, but found only what must be an R2 on a French site. Please help!
Old 02-22-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
BMW Films DVD and the always requested OPERA please!

Anyone?

Please?

Andrew
Old 02-22-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I need a little advice from all the expert cover designers in here. Like I said above, I'm going to try and design a set for the Top 100 AFI films using the original poster art for each film.

I just threw one together real fast to try and get an idea of how it will look. Keep in mind, I threw this together pretty fast, so it's obviously not my final version.

http://members.cox.net/toddsm66/TaxiDriverSample.JPG

Now, what all would you suggest to make this look better? I don't claim to be an expert graphic designer, thus I need some creative ideas. I think I'm pretty much happy with the front cover - that was the easy part.

What should I do with the spine to make it stand out a little better? It just looks a little plain the way it is. Keep in mind, I will be creating 100 of these, and I would like the look to stay consistant throughout -- and I would like to keep the spine numbers.

For the back cover, I just took the current back from the DVD and used it for now. I will most likely customize this part later on with my own screen shots and text...but I just wanted to get a sample out now.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Todd
Old 02-22-02, 10:10 PM
Cool New Member

Hi guys,

I'm really looking for the following covers, but I have had no luck:
  • Blade Runner
  • GoodFellas
  • Magnolia

If anyone can provide a link, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks
Old 02-22-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Toddsm66,
just a few suggestions...take 'em for what their worth...or not.

-if you are going to be doing, concievably, 100 titles which will all shar the same basic spine-layout,

1) make sure you save a template with the elements tht will be used over and over again, pasted in place, so you can just slip the other new, elements more or less into place.
like regularly saving your work, something everybodys usually knows, but have to get in the practicing of doing at first.

2) i would make a logo for AFI..., this can be something as simple as choosing the proper font and sizes to use, or you can do vector work, if your really industrious. just think simple, but distinctive, in either case . a simple block style like helvetica or whatever just will look unprofessional. you'll probably have to kern the letters a bit for whatever you choose to give it a really pro look.
also you can add a ™ symbol to the final logo, to make it look supremely kosher.

i, personally, wouldn't use a color like the red your using for thoses elements either, or at least at the intensity it is. it's a good idea to tie all the spine elements together thru hue or intensity,
if hue: i would choose
either a much more washed out shade of red to harmonize with the white letters of the logo,
or
change the hue of the afi & # to something else, as long as its fairly low-key , unless you also change the color of the title and any other element with a similar color...

intesity means that since the Taxi Driver title was in white ( if i remember), then the other elements will need to be closer to the white end of the greyscale...etc. right now the red of the afi/# tries to call equal attention to spine, competeing with the movie logo.
really, that should be the first thing you see with the other elements after.
if Taxi Driver were in that shade of red, then the other bits could be in off-white, washed out red, etc...

color sensibilities are very personal, and a great opportunity to express your creativity.
so i would never hand suggestions off with the implication that "THIS is what you HAVE to do"
these are mearly things i thought about when i looked at your cover.

other than that, it looks GREAT so far!
can't wait to see how the rest come out.

yes those Herschenson catlogs and history of cinema thru poster books are a great reference to use...thats how i got a lot of my images.

Last edited by ckolchak; 02-22-02 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-23-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
i would make a logo for AFI..., this can be something as simple as choosing the proper font and sizes to use, or you can do vector work, if your really industrious. just think simple, but distinctive, in either case
AFI has a logo, and it looks like he's using it.
Old 02-23-02, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by new2theplace

AFI has a logo, and it looks like he's using it.
i should have been more precise. i meant the whole "AFI TOP 100"
i would, at the very least make it 3 lines

AFI

and, if it were me, i would probably drop the word "top" and try to integrate the "100" with AFI in some way (maybe like having a rectangular translucent box and having

AFI (the logo your using)

etched out, beveled, etc.
in any case, still keeping it very simple, so it will read easy at such a small size.

if i could just find a free easy image hosting site
i would post an example.
i'm not good at explaining things

again, this is just my opinion. its not a commandment.
Old 02-23-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an AFI 100 question(that will relate to this, so bear with me). So, Will there ever be other movies in the top 100? I understand the need to number the top 100 movies, but that would mean you would have to re-number/re-print the covers in case of new additions, subtractions to the list. I understand that the bulk of the list will not change much, but I'm wondering why the number is such an important thing. Of course, maybe the films will never change(which at that point, would make the list a little less useful to me).

I think I would prefer a case that indicates that the movie has been, or is in the top 100 according to the AFI, and leave it at that. Then, I could put up a nice display sign that goes next to the dvd's stating what the current order is. That's just me, though(for what it's worth, I don't care about criterions being numbered, either.)

Anyway, nice job.

robyn
Old 02-23-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The main reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to collect all 100 of the AFI films. The way my collection is now, they are all scattered around my collection, so it's hard for me to see which ones I still need. If I had all of them lined up in order by spine number, it would be easier for me to see the holes I need to fill in -- kinda of the way people collect Criterions. One quick glance down the shelf, and you can see you need #52, #56, #58, etc...

It's nothing extremely important, just an idea I've had. I've been wanting to create some custom covers for a while, and I finally have some spare time at work to mess with it.

Thanks for the suggestions, ckolchak. I'll play around with the AFI logo a bit more. I'm thinking I might move the title all the way to the top of the spine and put the AFI logo and spine number together at the bottom. Something like this:

Old 02-23-02, 04:50 PM
Cool New Member

Need a little help. I'm not sure this is the right forum, so if it is not be gentle. In my exuberance to open JPIII, I tore off the plastic that holds the cover on. Any suggestions on what I can do?
Old 02-23-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ToddSm66:

i played around with your sunset blvd spine a little and did up an example of an afi logo for you to use or maybe just to spark you off in another direction.
since i can't post any images, if you want to drop me an email at
[email protected]
i'll send you some basic examples of what i was talking about.

nickster: i'm not sure exactly what your talking about, but it sounds like you just need a replacement amaray case. they should sell em at suncoast, best buy, media play, etc.
Old 02-23-02, 08:12 PM

anyone know where I can find a good usable scan for the original poster of "Murder by Death"? the cover for the current release stinks..
Old 02-23-02, 09:37 PM

OK. I resent The BMW Hire DVD cover to Mdx in the format that I think he requested. I hope everything works out fine and that it'll be up on his site in a few days.

Also, does anyone have the cover scan for Rushmore Criterion. I got one but the top is kind of cut off.
Old 02-23-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Official DVD Replacement Cover & Case Thread - Part 4

Originally posted by RMan360
[B
Feel free to post cover requests and links to other covers in this thread.

[/B]
RMan, Thanks so much for putting this info together. I'm sure that it was a lot of work and it is appreciated. Hopefully others will build on it over time.

Thanks Again,

ctyankee

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.