Star Wars DVDs - Reviews

Community
Search

Star Wars DVDs - Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-01, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw several copies of Phantom Menace DVD at Blowout Video here in San Diego a couple of months ago, for about $30.

Interesting side-note on ESB trailer:
One one of the trailers you will hear some narration. It is Harrison Ford. Soo cool!!

Anyne coming down here to the San Diego Comic-con this year?
Hopefully they will release some DVD news there. Better yet, it's a good place to get your DVDs signed.
Old 04-10-01, 01:16 AM

I think there's a mistake here... my copy of ESB has only one trailer on it, and that's without any narration.

BUT

the trailer has a few scenes that never actually made it in the screen versions. Two that I saw so far: Lando opening the top hatch on the "Falcon" then looking around, presumably for Luke. The second one is C3PO ripping a "Danger" sign from a door. I suppose that's part of the famous scene in which the robot lures some stupid Stormtroopers into a room with hungry beasts.

Apparently, there's more of that scene on a CD-ROM called "Star Wars: Behind The Magic", which was sold only in SW game packs.

Does anyone here have a copy of that CD? is that a Video CD, or an application similar to a game? A friend of mine had this set of games for Macintosh, so I never asked to see it, thinking it won't play on my PC.
Old 04-10-01, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry Playitagainsam, The ESB trailer I was talking about was on the Star Wars ESB Laserdisc, definitive collection box. it had 3 trailes for ESB.
If you live in San Diego, i can get you a copy of the CD-rom. It has all the Biggs scenes and the alternate cantina scene complete and uncut!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-01, 01:44 AM

Alas,
I'm waaaaay up north (Ottawa -> Ontario -> Canada)...

What did you have in mind?
Old 04-10-01, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Addendum to Review

I have added my review for "Return of the Jedi".

I also added some more general comments and started a Q/A section.

I have a little more to put in for the overall review and Q/A but its time to get to work so I'll finish that later.

Great set of DVDs though.
Old 04-10-01, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the reviews and the bit about them not being animorphic. This is just the sort of thing I was looking for.

[Edited by fettclone on 04-10-01 at 05:07 PM]
Old 04-10-01, 09:30 PM

Not to detract from BadAsh's review, but I got my discs today and am less than impressed at the quality. I've not watched them all but I watched about an hour of Star Wars and a couple of bits of Jedi. Video-wise I'd say they're *possibly* VHS quality in terms of resolution. The picture is very soft and looks kind of like you'd expect from a vid capture of an analog source. Color is stable but certainly not eyepopping in terms of saturation. Just so people know, I've watched bits on my Infocus projector as well as on my laptop. To be fair, non-enhanced 2.35:1 DVDs that aren't bootlegs also look a little soft on my projector (eg True Lies) but not this soft. I should watch on a normal TV to see how that compares. As far as audio goes, the surround is nice but overall I found it be on the bright side. The music at the opening was pretty harsh. It's a minor complaint... I think the audio outshines the video by a good margin.

All in all I'd say I was a bit disappointed based on all the very positive reviews, but they're certainly better than what I had before: nothing. For $12.99 each I don't feel cheated or anything.

Anyway, I thought I might just inject a not-negative-but-not-overly-positive opinion just for folks who are maybe expecting more than what these are.
Old 04-10-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the good info.
Old 04-10-01, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by dfriend
Not to detract from BadAsh's review, but I got my discs today and am less than impressed at the quality. I've not watched them all but I watched about an hour of Star Wars and a couple of bits of Jedi. Video-wise I'd say they're *possibly* VHS quality in terms of resolution. The picture is very soft and looks kind of like you'd expect from a vid capture of an analog source. Color is stable but certainly not eyepopping in terms of saturation. Just so people know, I've watched bits on my Infocus projector as well as on my laptop. To be fair, non-enhanced 2.35:1 DVDs that aren't bootlegs also look a little soft on my projector (eg True Lies) but not this soft. I should watch on a normal TV to see how that compares. As far as audio goes, the surround is nice but overall I found it be on the bright side. The music at the opening was pretty harsh. It's a minor complaint... I think the audio outshines the video by a good margin.

All in all I'd say I was a bit disappointed based on all the very positive reviews, but they're certainly better than what I had before: nothing. For $12.99 each I don't feel cheated or anything.

Anyway, I thought I might just inject a not-negative-but-not-overly-positive opinion just for folks who are maybe expecting more than what these are.

Thanks for the opinion however most of us would be watching on a TV...so I will withhold judgement until mine arrive...

Hey BadAsh what did you watch them on????
Old 04-11-01, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by dfriend
Not to detract from BadAsh's review, but I got my discs today and am less than impressed at the quality.
Are you absolutely sure that you got the same version? I notice that on the "popular online auction website" there are at least 3 versions.

The SEs (usually sold with Ep.1)

The ones that say 'Star Wars Trilogy' on the Ep.4 box

The ones that say 'The New Hope' on the Ep. 4 box (what Ash reviewed)

I'm still not clear which ones have permanently burned-in subtitles, or out of sync audio on Ep.5.

Clarification?
Old 04-11-01, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by d2cheer
Hey BadAsh what did you watch them on????
Nothing all that glamorous. I'm living in an apartment for the time being and will buy a better TV when I get into my new house in September. Here is my setup today:

DVD - Toshiba SD-4205
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V795
TV - Admiral (piece 'o crap) 27"
Speakers - Infinity
Sima Color Corrector Pro

Hookups: Audio is Optical, Video is standard RCA

As I said, nothing special here. The Receiver and DVD Player are the best parts here. I'm waiting to get a Widescreen TV when I get in the house and then I will promptly upgrade my speakers as well.

I haven't checked out the Trilogy through a system running S-Video (or greater) yet but I did check out TPM and I think the extra quality you gain from S-Video or Component Video will reveal poorer quality.

Nocturnaloner, you were wondering how to distinguish between all of the different SW "bootlegs" out there. The first series of DVDs used basic black covers with Special Edition cover art and lots of chinese (or other asian) language titles and descriptions (dead giveaway). The new versions have absolutely no non-English titles or descriptions on them at all. The Trilogy are easy to notice now because the title "Star Wars Trilogy" appears on all of the new DVDs (for ANH, ESB and ROTJ). As for TPM, the cover is all English now and is a lighter color. The older TPM was more black with lots of asian titles and descriptions. Another dead giveaway for all four (4) of the DVDs is the "Digital Cinema Sound" logo on the front cover (bottom right) and the "Dolby Digital AC-3 5.1 EX" logo on the front (bottom left).

dfriend is correct on his analysis of the video, from a certain point of view. The video in all three of the Trilogy DVDs is very soft, especially in the darker scenes. I would recommend though that anyone that notices such should compare the DVDs to the original non-SE and non-THX cuts of the movies (either on VHS or LaserDisc) and then see what you think. I feel that the movies look just the way I remember them from the non-SE days (crappy video transfers all around). I guess that is one good thing we got from the Special Editions (cleaned up video).

[Edited by BadAsh on 04-11-01 at 09:33 AM]
Old 04-11-01, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
kevo

Watch them bootlegs first, then talk. They look better than many "official" DVDs, like Highlander, for instance!
Thanks for the advice, but I'll stick to the originals only. Even if it means waiting a while for them to be released.

I have no interest whatsoever in "unofficial DVDs" and probably never will.

Old 04-11-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kevo
I have no interest whatsoever in "unofficial DVDs" and probably never will.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think alot of people look down on "bootlegs" because of the negative imapct they can have on the industry. I only purchase "bootlegs" when there is absolutely no way of acquiring a film through "official" channels.

In the case of Star Wars, specifically the "original" trilogy, you will never be able to get those movies on DVD. In fact since the "original" trilogy is no longer available in any format for retail sale (only for resale/used), the "original" series released by anyone in any format could be protected under the American copyright law known as "The Berne Act".

The way I see it is that there is a 99.9% chance the "original" versions of the Star Wars Trilogy will never be released to DVD. While I fully understand the implications of "bootlegs", I feel that the release of this particular "bootleg" set does not harm the original copyright owners at all since there is no intention to release them at all. I know that when the "Special Edition" versions of the movies are "officially" released to DVD I (as well as countless others) WILL buy those so Lucas will get his money (again) from me.

This thread has survived so far. Lets try not to turn this into a "good vs evil"/"bootleg vs legit" thread. I am sure such will most certainly lead to this thread being closed.

Thank You!
Old 04-11-01, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Addendum to Review

I posted some information about the "Berne Act" in the "Question and Answer" section.
Old 04-11-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Addendum to Review

Since many LaserDics owners may question why anyone would purchase a "bootleg" DVD rather than going through the expense to purchase a LaserDisc player and out of print LaserDiscs, I added my response in the "Question and Answer" section.
Old 04-11-01, 09:28 AM

I got my disks on Monday and I am very pleased with them....Definately worth te 60 dollars I paid for them.

I also got the metal case from the Champagne guy...Talk about nice craftmanship.

Happy to have Star Wars on DVD...Until the real version comes out.
Old 04-11-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Collector's Cases

For those that may not know or haven't seen Paul Champagne's latest offerings, check out

http://designpaulchampagne.com/

Paul Champagne makes some beautiful anodized aluminum DVD Collector's cases. These cases will hold a series of DVDs. You will find collector's cases on his site for Clint Eastwood, Aliens, John Woo and even Star Wars.

I purchased the Star Wars case back when I bought the DVDs and oddly enough they both arrived on the same day (lucky me). I am very happy with the case and I have it on disply on top of my DVD rack. Check it out, you won't be dissapointed.

Paul's designs are very affordable and will make a fine addition to your collection. Each case sells for $25 and the shipping starts at $3 (or $5 for priority).

Don't worry about the cases getting damaged upon shipment. Paul wraps each case in tissue then bubble wraps the case before placing it in a cardboard box for mailing.

Check out Paul's designs and see for yourself.

I may have to pick up some more... Evil Dead might be nice.
Old 04-11-01, 09:51 AM

BadAsh,

I would like to second a STRONG BUY on those cases for any collector.

They were very well wrapped. I actually bought the Robert De Niro collection case as well for 5 amaray cases. I am also thinking about purchasing another case for some De Niro snapper cases....i.e. Analyse this, Bronx Tale, and all the rest.

In the end these cases are simply awesome and look very cool sitting on a shelf by themselves.
Old 04-11-01, 11:59 AM
Cool New Member

BadAsh -

I can attest to the wide variations in source quality used for the extras on the LD Trilogy Definitive Collection Black Box. Most of it was originally on VHS or 3/4", and as such, will look very soft, especially by the time it is ripped, then A to D converted for DVD. All of the archival footage will suffer from this even on legitimate releases, as it is simply old video.This thread also discussed this topic.

The transfers on this set, as correctly noted, were not 5.1, as that audio technology was not widely available at the time.
Old 04-11-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patrick_C
The transfers on this set, as correctly noted, were not 5.1, as that audio technology was not widely available at the time.
Yeah, I don't think this set is truly DD 5.1 but it is one hell of a matrixed transfer. As I have said in my reviews, I have heard plenty of matrixed 5.1 soundtracks and they are typically a dead giveaway because the dialogue is rarely centered in the one speaker, it usually echoes in the rears.

If you check out the "extras" on the DVDs your receiver will say DD 5.1 even though you know those "extras" are NOT 5.1 encoded. All I have to say is that the "bootleggers" are getting very good. The sound in this set is phenominal for "bootleg" video and matrixed sound.

Now if those "bootleggers" could introduce a little "Quality Control" we could have a perfect set. Hell, I would love to head up such a team. I am a stickler for quality and standards. I'd make them use "original" cover art and descriptions/copyrights and I'd make them actually WATCH the movies they rip.
Old 04-11-01, 01:26 PM
Cool New Member

And I was the producer for Trilogy Defintive Collection for LD. I might be able to add a bit to that team effort.
Old 04-11-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And I was the producer for Trilogy Defintive Collection for LD. I might be able to add a bit to that team effort.
Are you being serious Patrick?
Old 04-11-01, 01:37 PM
Cool New Member

If you have the Trilogy LD set, look at the credits on the foldout brochure, inside front page. You'll notice more than a passing similiarity between my username and that of the Producer.
Old 04-11-01, 01:42 PM

If you have the Trilogy LD set, look at the credits on the foldout brochure, inside front page. You'll notice more than a passing similiarity between my username and that of the Producer.
Er, hey!

Hook us up with some cool supplemental material

Maybe they'll hire you back to work on the legitimate DVDs someday?

I hope the DVDs have more than the Definitive set. I especially want the Making Of's for Star Wars, ESB, and ROTJ. I have "From Star Wars to Jedi", but I would rather see all the individual ones.
Old 04-11-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, we can all dream that the DVDs will have all the great behind the scenes footage and tv shows we have seen but I have a feeling that the first round of DVDs will only be the tip of the iceberg and the "Ultimate" edition (i.e. the so called final set) will have pretty much everything (including all of our money).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.