Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Star Wars DVDs - Reviews

Star Wars DVDs - Reviews

Old 05-13-02, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarification

Sorry about my comment, what I meant was that while some people are paying absorbent amounts of money for these DVDs on various web auction sites, there are deals to be had at various overseas e-tailers.
While the debate on whether people should even buy these DVDs has gone on innumerable times, I think we can all agree on the fact that we should not be lining the pockets of the bootleg sellers. But with that said, I’m a strong believer that the recollection of quality remains long after the price is forgotten – so to each his own.
Old 05-13-02, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Brett

Did you use the Metallic Gold or regular or [url=http://www.inetdvd.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=4833 Regular Gold[/url] cases?

Metallic Regular

-Brett

Brett,

I used the "regular" gold cases but the Metallic ones might look even beter. Give those a shot. --Edward.
Old 05-14-02, 11:07 AM

I just got my 5 Star set today, and I am extremely impressed. The discs aren't perfect, but they are close. Not enough chapter stops and a few speckles here and there, but the packaging was even better than I had hoped for. I highly recommend this set if you are a die hard fan.
Old 05-14-02, 04:12 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No discussion of Episode 2 bootlegs. You can see it in the theater in less than 2 days and a DVD is already promised by the end of the year. And besides, Ep. 2 would be a Movie Talk subject.
Old 05-14-02, 10:19 PM

Another satisfied customer here. I just received my Five Star Collection and am very happy with it. It is much better then my VHS tapes and VCD disks. I only had a chance to watch the first few minutes of "Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope" but if the rest of the DVDs are similiar, and I believe they are, then I will be one happy camper!!!!
Old 05-14-02, 11:20 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ordered the 5 star gold editions and shoudl get them by Thursday from what the e-mail said. I can't wait to check them out, especially with Episode II coming out Thursday and going to see it.
Old 05-15-02, 08:09 PM
dgc

Received mine today. Can't ask for better timing. This feels just like popping in a CD when your on your way to a rock concert so you can get pumped for the big show.

I'll post my reviews after I've watched them all.
Old 05-15-02, 08:12 PM
dgc

Originally posted by Frank S
For Star Wars:ANH DD 5.1, for ESB DD 2.0/DS, and ROTJ DD 5.1. As for black level they all need to have the black level turned down a bit.
So the DTS tracks aren't really DTS? Are they coded just to flag your receiver into thinking it is DTS?
Old 05-15-02, 09:16 PM

I thought the DTS was horrible, it had the voices coming out of the front 3 speakers.
Old 05-15-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the DTS is crap! It is a different audio then either the DD 5.1 or 2.0 so it may be DTS just a horribly done one!
Old 05-16-02, 11:20 PM
dgc

Just finished watching the 5 star version of ROTJ. Overall I'm very satisfied with this set of dvds. No problem justifying the cost over a the 3 year waiting period for the real deal.

Much better than my VHS set and definitley got me pumped for my 2 showings of AOTC later today.

On a side note, I can't believe what they are NOW selling for on the auction sites. And I thought I paid alot.
Old 05-16-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope this is the place to post this....it looks more and more like the original trilogy will not be released on DVD outside of the special editions with tons of CGI and new footage. Are these DVDs being reviewed here possibly the only way people can see the original movies as they appeared in the theater?
Old 05-17-02, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the DVDs reviewed here are made from the Special Editions of the movies. Earlier in the thread, there were reviews of discs made from the original versions, but those discs are getting much harder to find, and, as I understand it, much more expensive.

However, on a more positive note, according to recent statements made by Rick McCallum, there is now a possibility that the original versions will be include on the eventual official DVD release. If this ends up being true, then we will all have great reason to celebrate.
Old 05-17-02, 08:47 AM
mdX

there was only one or two "releases" of the original (non-SE) trilogy on dvd. those discs had al sorts of sound problems, and generally looked worse than the LDs they were mastered from. If you want the original trilogy, your only real option is the widescreen VHS set from 1995, or the THX laserdiscs (either the definitive collection, or the three individual discs with the "faces" on them), also from 1995.
Old 05-17-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RoboDad
Earlier in the thread, there were reviews of discs made from the original versions, but those discs are getting much harder to find, and, as I understand it, much more expensive.
Not true. You just have to know where to get them. They are out there, and they are cheap. However, they do have sound problems.
Old 05-17-02, 09:35 PM

I finally got mine!!! I ordered the Original and Special Editions. The Special Editions are definitly a better quality. They are both better than VHS, but not quite as sharp looking as most DVD's that I own like Phantom Menace, but on right on par to some of the cheaper ones I own. I have a 32' Sony Wega and use the XBox as my DVD player, with Monster Cables for connection. I'm very pleased with these, the sound is great. Totally do recommend this to die hard fans.

I also ordered the 5 Star gold versions and those should get to me next week, everything I've read about those is that they are the best quality. Also got the AOTC coming, but I'm sure that is crap quality. Anyway THANKS ALOT DVDTALK!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-02, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update on the original trilogy

Found this on The Digital Bits:

As for the original Star Wars films, Lucas has himself confirmed that he's filmed additional scenes (during the production of these prequels) that he intends to add into Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi to "complete the Saga the way he always envisioned it". He's also expected to enhance and/or replace more special effects sequences with CGI and make other refinements to the original films. These "ultimate" versions are what will eventually find their way to DVD (there's no word as to whether or not he'll also include the unaltered theatrical versions - those of us who grew up with them certainly hope so). Lucas has also stated recently that he and his crew didn't create as much "making of" material during the production of the original trilogy, so it will take time to compile new material for the eventual DVD release. And while he's working on the prequels, time is something he doesn't have a lot of. What that means, is that you shouldn't expect the original films to appear on DVD until sometime after the release of Episode III in 2005.

And that is, more or less, the best and most up-to-date information available on the subject of the Star Wars films on DVD. We'll be sure to keep you appraised as the production of the Episode II disc continues. You can reasonably expect official details to begin appearing from Lucasfilm later this summer.
Old 05-19-02, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was at a huge comic book convention in Novi, Michigan on Saturday and was astounded at all the bootleg OT Star Wars DVDs (and Spider-Man too). I didn't see any so-called "Fox Five-Stars" - they were the versions with the DTS logo at top and another version (or different cover anyway) that was exactly as the OT SE VHS. The prices ranged from $25-35.00 for each film.

They were playing Jedi on a 20" or so sized screen and I wasn't that impressed by it. What was even more funny is how the guy was telling my brother how these were "anamorphically" enhanced. What do you expect from a bootleg seller though.

Last edited by DavidH; 05-19-02 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-19-02, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DavidH
What was even more funny is how the guy was telling my brother how these were "anamorphically" enhanced.
Well, that is what the packaging states .
Old 05-19-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Since I recieved my set, i've gotten numerous e-mail inquiries about the quality, sound, etc...

I usually tell 'em i'm happy with the discs and give 'em a link to this thread.

Keep up the good work guys.

ps...astro, still waiting on that email. [i'm usually never on AIM.]
Old 05-19-02, 09:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Closing thread due to length. Since this seems to be a topic people want to continue discussing, I have started a new thread on the topic here. Please feel free to continue the discussion at that thread.

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-19-02 at 09:54 PM.