Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Star Wars DVDs - Reviews

Star Wars DVDs - Reviews

Old 04-26-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received mine in the mail yesterday and have only watched New Hope so far. While I have no previous experience with bootlegs I was pleased overall but did not think this equaled the early non-anamorphic DVDs I own such True Lies etc.

The image is soft throughout, however the early Tatooine scenes are the worst in this regard to the point of being blurry in places. It gets better toward the end and the space battles are actually quite good and fairly sharp. I viewed this disk on a front projection system (w/HTPC) at about 109" display on the screen but that is the way I view all my disks so it is a fair comparison. New Hope is a step below DVD IMO.

I was pleasantly surprised with the DD audio. Some have said this is a pro-logic mix but I could have sworn I heard several instances of discrete panning in the rears. The LFE is pretty weak if it exists at all. I have bass shakers installed in the seats and rarely did they rumble. The DTS track is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than the DD track IMO. I thought the DD mix was fairly enveloping and, again, I was pleased.

I hope to watch the other two this weekend. Like others here, these will suffice for me until the "real" disks come out - in '06 if at all .

EDIT: Watched ESB tonight and it seemed less soft and more consistent from beginning to end. This one seemed more on par with early (97-98 vintage) DVD. As others have said, no audio sync problems at all and sounds pretty good although I was really listening close this time and maybe it is pro-logic. Whatever it is it fills the sound field well but not too flashy like a modern track for this type material would be.

EDIT: Just to complete my review. I have now watched all three disks and am quite pleased with them. I don't believe the audio is discrete 5.1 but it sounds good. The video is soft but very watchable even on a front projector (VERY large screen). The video on ROTJ is the best of the three and New Hope the worst but still watchable. Especially if you have a regular size TV, these will do nicely until until George finally gives us the real thing.

Last edited by moocher; 05-05-02 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-27-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RoboDad

Frank,

While I can certainly sympathize with you, I think the agreed upon rules for maintaining this thread are that no links to sellers be provided. Even though your link is a negative one, it still (I suspect) goes beyond what we agreed to abide by when the thread was started.

Also, I'm curious how badly scratched your discs are.
RoboDad, you are correct! I wasn't even thinking about links etc... when I made the post. I altered the eMail somewhat to make it less useable.

The discs ESB and ROTJ were pretty bad but SW:ANH was rediculous! It looked like someone used a brillopad to clean the disc!

Last edited by Frank S; 04-27-02 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-27-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by moocher
I just received mine in the mail yesterday and have only watched New Hope so far. While I have no previous experience with bootlegs I was pleased overall but did not think this equaled the early non-anamorphic DVDs I own such True Lies etc.

The image is soft throughout, however the early Tatooine scenes are the worst in this regard to the point of being blurry in places. It gets better toward the end and the space battles are actually quite good and fairly sharp. I viewed this disk on a front projection system (w/HTPC) at about 109" display on the screen but that is the way I view all my disks so it is a fair comparison. New Hope is a step below DVD IMO.
I have to ask, what version DVD do you have? there is a BIG difference from one to the other.
Old 04-27-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Frank S
I have to ask, what version DVD do you have? there is a BIG difference from one to the other.
Mine are the SEs and all have the DTS banner across the top. They only include a trailer even though the ESB claims to have an "Interview with Ben Butts" and "The Flight Through The Asteroids" whatever that is. ROTJ claims to have 3 trailers but only has one that covers all 3 films. The trailers on each disk are in 5.1 (at least that is what my receiver tells me).

These disks appear to fit the descriptions I have seen of the newest releases but I guess I can't be sure.

EDIT: Edited out info about my purchase so as to not upset the mods.

Last edited by moocher; 04-27-02 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-27-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moocher,
Would you please eMail me so I can ask you a question in private please! [email protected]

Thanks
Old 04-27-02, 04:33 PM

Moocher I would also like to speak privately with you. Can you please e-mail me at [email protected] ?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-02, 05:17 PM
Banned

Hey all,

I know this may be a bit off topic but I feel it would be best if we started here. Is there any way I could start a similar thread on the Indiana Jones movies? They are all over Ebay and I'm sure that a lot of people are curious about them. I'm not sure of the politics of doing something like this. Can anyone help?
Old 04-27-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Hey all,

I know this may be a bit off topic but I feel it would be best if we started here. Is there any way I could start a similar thread on the Indiana Jones movies? They are all over Ebay and I'm sure that a lot of people are curious about them. I'm not sure of the politics of doing something like this. Can anyone help?
I think if you start a thread purely to discuss the technical aspects of the discs (descriptions, reviews, questions and such), and guarantee that no links to potential sellers or buyers are posted to it, it will probably be OK with the moderators. That is how this thread has survived as long as it has.
Old 04-30-02, 09:55 AM

Star Wars Trilogy Five Star Collection. Anyone know anything yet about this version of the Trilogy.? Just appeared (removed info on where to buy bootlegs) yesterdday. Covers and DVDs look completely different than others I've seen. The seller claims the quality is outstanding. Seller claims no sound delay. Less compression because the discs are dual layer. Could this be the version we have been waiting for?

(edited to remove direct reference to where to buy bootlegs -Blade)
Old 04-30-02, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Jamers
Star Wars Trilogy Five Star Collection. Anyone know anything yet about this version of the Trilogy.? Just appeared (removed info on where to buy bootlegs) yesterdday. Covers and DVDs look completely different than others I've seen. The seller claims the quality is outstanding. Seller claims no sound delay. Less compression because the discs are dual layer. Could this be the version we have been waiting for?
Yep, just saw this too and was wondering about this version.

Pictures are below:

Here's a different version that I haven't seen before either:

Last edited by rdodolak; 04-30-02 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-30-02, 01:15 PM

The covers on MoMoStuff look generic and cartoonish.
Old 04-30-02, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Jamers
The covers on MoMoStuff look generic and cartoonish.
They're not the best covers that I have seen but they're still better than some. The covers for the five-star collection look pretty sweet though and the seller claims that the discs are dual-layered. It would be interesting to know more about this version.
Old 04-30-02, 01:23 PM

(please don't discuss the selling of bootlegs -Blade)
Old 04-30-02, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by mdX
and for any of you who have these discs, be sure to grab the great-looking, matching covers over at www.dvdcoverart.com
What happened to your site?
Old 04-30-02, 01:46 PM

(please don't discuss the selling of bootlegs -Blade)
Old 04-30-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by rdodolak
What happened to your site?
it's www.dvdcoverart.net for now, according to mdx
Old 04-30-02, 03:00 PM

five star.

I am one of the people who bought the "FIVE STAR COLLECTION" i will post a review when it gets here.The cases were enuff to get me sold. The seller seems legit thus far.
Old 04-30-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested to know what extras are included on the Five Star Collection. So far, none of them have the Empire Strikes Back Trailer #2 (with Harrison Ford's narration); that's the trailer that started it all. Coming to your Galaxy... next summer.
Old 04-30-02, 03:28 PM

Re: five star.

Originally posted by BernieStolar
I am one of the people who bought the "FIVE STAR COLLECTION" i will post a review when it gets here.The cases were enuff to get me sold. The seller seems legit thus far.
Great! Looking forward to your reviews.
Old 04-30-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(removed discussion about process of buying bootlegs -Blade)

I bought a set myself and will post my thoughts after watching them.

Last edited by Frank S; 04-30-02 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-30-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that these are the same transfers as the other "dts" version out there. But certainly let us know how they compare.

Last edited by new2theplace; 05-01-02 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-30-02, 09:10 PM

Im wondering if someone's going to do a "side by side" comparison with the second-newest verion out there (the one with DTS on the top)

I'll tell you guys one thing- the whole Dual layering issue could be moot- and its quality difference we are interested in here, not "cool covers." When my friend in malaysia mailed me the LOTR screener "dual layered" it looked NO DIFFERENT than the "single layered" version"..
Old 04-30-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by new2theplace
[B](removed discussion about process of buying bootlegs -Blade)In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that these are the same transfers as the other "dts" version out there. But certainly let us know how they compare.

Hey all these DVD's are a crap shoot until you actually get them, so yes I am taking a chance that they are the same as the ones I already have but if they are better.... if not then I have two pretty good sets of Star Wars DVD's!

I will be doing a comparision of this new set and the newest one before it (with DTS and no audio delay) when I receive it so look for it in the near future!

Last edited by Frank S; 04-30-02 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-01-02, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all these DVD's are a crap shoot until you actually get them, so yes I am taking a chance that they are the same as the ones I already have but if they are better.... if not then I have two pretty good sets of Star Wars DVD's!
Yeah, but one of those sets cost you $85! Man, you've got more disposable income than I.

Let us know how they look.
Old 05-01-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by new2theplace

Yeah, but one of those sets cost you $85! Man, you've got more disposable income than I.

Let us know how they look. [/B]
$85 is about average for this set and is definately a lot but I am a Star Wars fan and wil be selling my Star Wars Special Edition Laserdisc set which should pay for 1 1/2 f these DVD sets!

The multiple covers is more due to the fact that there are quite a few different Star Wars Trilogy DVD sets out there and he must be buying what's available and reselling them, not really much different from others who sell these sets all the time.

Last edited by Frank S; 05-01-02 at 01:42 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.