Tidal Waves Kill More Than 120,000 in Asia

Community
Search

Tidal Waves Kill More Than 120,000 in Asia

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 744 Likes on 545 Posts
I really don't care if the President had anything to say or not. The fact remains that aid is being given. Why do I, or the world, need to hear G-dub say, "We're devastated about the losses, but hey lookit, we're giving you guys aid. Please like me."
Old 12-29-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"This week's deadly Asian Quake and Tsunami may have been so powerful, that it changed the rate of Earth's rotation. In a Reuters article, a NASA geophysicist theorizes that the quake compacted the Earth enough to speed up the planet's rotation by 3 microseconds. A second article says the quake moved undersea tectonic plates by up to 98 feet, shifting islands near Sumatra out to sea an unknown distance. Also, a USGS team wants images from commercial satellite operators to help pinpoint coastline damage. Lastly, an interesting article from the Australian Spaceguard Survey about the need for a Tsunami warning system in the Indian Ocean. The author comments that tsunami warnings may not help much, as people often flock to the coastline to see the giant waves."
(copied from Slashdot; many links in article available from original post over there)

- David Stein
Old 12-29-04, 12:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You know, I remember how much money was diverted for personal gain during 9/11 and sure hope we don't see this again.

Bandoman,

http://www.mercycorps.org/home/

They say 91% and more go to the actual people.
Thanks for the info.

They even post a financial statement
Old 12-29-04, 12:20 PM

Salvation Army Annual Rpt

http://www.thesalarmy.com/ab/annualreport2003.pdf
Old 12-29-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing human-interest story:
American diver underwater during catastrophe

(CNN) -- An American woman who was scuba diving with her husband in Thailand as one of Sunday's tsunamis roared overhead said she was oblivious to the disaster until after they surfaced, her mother told CNN on Tuesday.

Faye Wachs, 34, was diving with her husband, Eugene Kim, Sunday morning off Ko Phi Phi Island in Thailand when they noticed the water visibility worsened and felt as though they were being sucked downward, Helen Wachs said.

Their dive master signaled to them to surface, "but we still didn't know what happened," Faye wrote in an e-mail to her mother Tuesday.

The enormity of what was happening while they were scuba diving was not immediately apparent after they surfaced, Helen Wachs said her daughter told her.

"She said she saw a lot of trash in the water. The dive master said it was really rude for people to throw trash. Then they saw large bits of debris and thought there might have been a boat crash," Helen Wachs said.

She said her daughter didn't know what had happened until the dive master got a text message from his wife telling him about the catastrophe.

Soon they saw bodies floating past them, Wachs' mother said in an interview from Oakland, California, where she lives.

Once they returned to shore, the couple did what they could to help, Helen Wachs said.

"I can't describe carrying a moaning person who just saw his girlfriend killed down a hill in the middle of the night," the e-mail said. "I saw more bodies than I care to report. The hotel where we were staying is mostly gone. We lost everything, but our lives."

Faye Wachs said she was impressed by the efforts of the Thai government and the International Committee for the Red Cross, but "she was appalled at the treatment they got" from the U.S. government, her mother said.

At the airport in Bangkok, other governments had set up booths to greet nationals who had been affected and to help repatriate them, she said.

That was not the case with the U.S. government, Wachs told her mother. It took the couple three hours, she said, to find the officials from the American consulate, who were in the VIP lounge.

Because they had lost all their possessions, including their documentation, they had to have new passports issued.

But the U.S. officials demanded payment to take the passport pictures, Helen Wachs said.

The couple had managed to hold on to their ATM card, so they paid for the photos and helped other Americans who did not have any money get their pictures taken and buy food, Helen Wachs said.

"She was really very surprised" that the government did so little to ease their ordeal, she said.

In an e-mailed response from the State Department, the chief of American Citizen Services said the embassy usually meets and greets every flight personally, but acknowledged there had been confusion the first night in setting up the operation.

Still, "anyone needing assistance is guided to our office in the VIP hall, which is the space allocated to us by the airport authority," the e-mail said.

Typically, anyone needing a passport is directed to go to the embassy, it added.

"If people have no funds to get to the embassy, they are offered a $100 emergency loan on the spot," the e-mail said.

Because of the emergency, the embassy has been issuing no-fee emergency passports since the tsunami hit, it said.

But the photo printer was working only sporadically on the day in question, so its use was reserved for those truly in need; others were asked to walk a building away to get their pictures taken, it said.

"Basically, if you had a decent supply of cash, you were asked to go get photos made so we could try to save the camera for desperate cases."

Helen Wachs said her daughter told her they would need "some serious counseling" upon their return to Los Angeles.

Once aboard the plane, Wachs told her mother, the biggest thing they noticed was the absence of the stench of raw sewage that had permeated the air.

"She said the clean smell was amazing."

Wachs, who described herself as "shell-shocked but happy to be coming home," is scheduled to arrive Wednesday morning in Los Angeles, her mother said.

She returns acutely aware that many thousands of others don't have that option.

"The tourists are able to get out, but those there are left with utter destruction," Helen Wachs said.
- David Stein
Old 12-29-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Old 12-29-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah David, that was a page or two back - talk about your close calls
Old 12-29-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I would appreciate it if you would stop your moaning about "we could've done more". It's silly. More WILL be done in time. When more info comes in more will be done. That's how it usually works.

Did I stutter? You did understand that right?
I'm not moaning that "we could've done more". Stop reading into my posts. The only time I came close to saying anything like that was my first post, when the only information to come from our government was a White House statement saying we "stand ready." That, quite frankly, was weak. I don't doubt the generousity of this country, nor do I doubt we are always the leader in humanitarian aid when events like this occur.

I don't think it's "silly" to want my leader to lead. My point is that I would like my President to say something when a disaster like this strikes. That's not too much to ask, and I expect it of the person selected to lead this country. I want to know that my President recognizes the seriousness and tragedy of the situation, and I want him to personally assure me and the world that we're going to be doing something about it. That's part of what makes me proud to be an American, and what makes our country the best in the world. What's so difficult to understand about that?
Old 12-29-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rhoda
https://secure3.salvationarmy.org/do...SC*USE*USS*USW

Surely, we can spare at least $50. Most of us probably spent more than that on entertainment this month.

Sure, I could spare $50, but I'm not going to.

Remember the fiasco over Red Cross donations following 9/11? And what the heck is the Salvation Army doing in Asia anyway? I thought they were supposed to help people here? There is such a thing as having too many charities vying for donations, thus diluting the charities that are really doing something.
Old 12-29-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This can help you evaluate non-religous charities. Religious charities don't file the tax/business paperwork used to evaluate.

http://www.charitynavigator.org
Old 12-29-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
The freaky thing is the night before this happened I had this really scary dream that my husband, baby, and I were being flooded out of our home. We had to quickly seek higher ground and it was a terrifying dream. It was only the next day I heard about this and eerily made the connection.
I used to have a recurring nightmare about being on a beach and watching the ocean recede way way back, almost to the continental shelf. I would notice the lack of birds or any other sound. The air would feel heavy and hot. And then an enormous wall of water would wash over me as I tried to climb up a cliff to the house at the top.

I've had this dream since I was four years old.

I then found out a friend of mine had the exact same dream, including the house.

We figured we both died in the same tsunami in a previous life.

I've always been a little wary of beaches because of that dream.
Old 12-29-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Duran
I'm not moaning that "we could've done more". Stop reading into my posts. The only time I came close to saying anything like that was my first post, when the only information to come from our government was a White House statement saying we "stand ready." That, quite frankly, was weak. I don't doubt the generousity of this country, nor do I doubt we are always the leader in humanitarian aid when events like this occur.

I don't think it's "silly" to want my leader to lead. My point is that I would like my President to say something when a disaster like this strikes. That's not too much to ask, and I expect it of the person selected to lead this country. I want to know that my President recognizes the seriousness and tragedy of the situation, and I want him to personally assure me and the world that we're going to be doing something about it. That's part of what makes me proud to be an American, and what makes our country the best in the world. What's so difficult to understand about that?

I knew you were picking on Bush but I was trying to stay away from accusing you of that. That's why posted in terms of America as a whole including the Prez.

I guess we disagree on the importance of words. I don't care what Bush has to say about the tragedy. The truth is anything he says will be the typical political bullshit that any Prez would say in his place. What I DO care about is action and getting shit..oops sorry,things done as far as getting the right aid to the right people.

That to me is far more important than some stupid press conference at "The Ranch".

I hope you could follow the above semi- or even fully ignorant post with much understanding....
Old 12-29-04, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
Sure, I could spare $50, but I'm not going to.
Feel better?

Remember the fiasco over Red Cross donations following 9/11?
Yep. I do. Comparing rotten apples to oranges.

And what the heck is the Salvation Army doing in Asia anyway?
http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/...D?opendocument

I thought they were supposed to help people here?
They do. See http://www.thesalarmy.com/ab/annualreport2003.pdf

There is such a thing as having too many charities vying for donations, thus diluting the charities that are really doing something.

I was not solicited. I happen to know that this is one of the "charities that are really doing something" and has low overhead. I went looking for the link to donate.

It seemed that there were many people on this thread that expressed the desire to help. This is an opportunity to do something other than cast blame or wring your hands. It doesn't have to be the Salvation Army. There are many similar organization with low overhead.
Old 12-29-04, 12:45 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by logrus9
This can help you evaluate non-religous charities. Religious charities don't file the tax/business paperwork used to evaluate.

http://www.charitynavigator.org
That's a great site, thanks logrus9.
Old 12-29-04, 01:00 PM
X
Administrator

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts
That to me is far more important than some stupid press conference at "The Ranch".
Unfortunately to many people it has become more important to hear a leader say "I feel your pain" rather than actually doing something about it.
Old 12-29-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I knew you were picking on Bush but I was trying to stay away from accusing you of that. That's why posted in terms of America as a whole including the Prez.

I guess we disagree on the importance of words. I don't care what Bush has to say about the tragedy. The truth is anything he says will be the typical political bullshit that any Prez would say in his place. What I DO care about is action and getting shit..oops sorry,things done as far as getting the right aid to the right people.

I hope you could follow the above semi- or even fully ignorant post with much understanding....
I'm not picking on Bush because he's Bush. It's no secret that I don't care for him, but that has nothing to do with my opinions on this issue. I don't care who the President is. I want him to lead. Yes, the actual aid is very important - but don't discount the leadership factor. If Bush had gone on TV and asked the American public to donate funds, do you think that would have had an effect?
Old 12-29-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Could we divert this thread back to the issue of the tsunami, instead of arguing over the response of the single largest donor of humanitarian aid on earth?
Old 12-29-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Old 12-29-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sheesh, talk about bikering. Some people can never move on.
Old 12-29-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Could we divert this thread back to the issue of the tsunami, instead of arguing over the response of the single largest donor of humanitarian aid on earth?

Well you took care of all the dial-up arguers, that's for sure
Old 12-29-04, 01:23 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Heard on the radio that the death toll is now over 100,000.
Old 12-29-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, the biggest single-person donation so far seems to be Li Ka-Shing, Hong Kong's (and Asia's) richest man. He's given around US$3.5 million from his own pocket, which is more than many Western countries already.
Old 12-29-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,150 Posts
BTW, how come those satellites "Just happen" to be on that area? Did they belong to those countires? Was somone spying?

That proves it! Someone's government KNEW the Earthquake and the tsunami were gonna happen. Where's Matt Drudge's email addy....
Old 12-29-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
Well, the biggest single-person donation so far seems to be Li Ka-Shing, Hong Kong's (and Asia's) richest man. He's given around US$3.5 million from his own pocket, which is more than many Western countries already.
So what is that suppose mean? US citizens are stingy?
Calling Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Larry Ellison, or George Soros
Old 12-29-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are all the Dead Animals?
Weird story
Giant waves washed floodwaters up to 2 miles inland at Yala National Park in the ravaged southeast, Sri Lanka's biggest wildlife reserve and home to hundreds of wild elephants and several leopards.

"The strange thing is we haven't recorded any dead animals," H.D. Ratnayake, deputy director of the national Wildlife Department, told Reuters on Wednesday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.