Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

European Cinema

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: European Cinema

Sennentuntschi: Curse of the Alps (2010) - Movie based on Swiss Legend with 1970s setting. As the legend goes, lonely sheepherder in the Swiss Alps create female companion (called Sennentuntschi), a human sized "doll" made of straw and clothing. At some point the Sennentuntschi will turn human and have her revenge for being "misused." In the movie three guys in the Alps make a Sennentuntschi out of fun on a drunken night ...
Days later a beautiful strange mute woman is found wandering a small town in the valley. Her odd and awkward behavior leads villagers to believe she might be possessed. The local police investigates, making a grisly discovery in the Alps.
Rich on atmosphere, great production values. This is quite a gem leaving the viewer in suspense as the film hints at the supernatural and the psychological. Worth tracking down (There is a German region free Blu-ray release with English subtitles option).

Last edited by hbilly; 05-10-15 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hbilly, appreciate very much the review of SENNENTUNTSCHI. It also served as a good reminder to me as I had totally forgotten about this movie. I recall taking note of it when the U.S. Blu-ray came out. But then I wanted some confirmation with regard to the aspect ratio I believe it was, and coupled with the fact that the price never really dipped much, it just fell off my radar completely. Perhaps the German Blu-ray you mention is a good option. Definitely a movie I want to check out.

I've been working my way through Sweden's 2011-12 television series Arne Dahl...about an elite group of six detectives (and their commander). Series 1 of the show is comprised of 5 movies...each one running about 178-minutes (each movie is split into two halves). Basically, each movie is based on a single book from the author Jan Arnald (aka Arne Dahl). Therefore each movie tells a standalone tale with regard to whatever case they are working on. I've watched the first three movies so far and I'm enjoying it. It is fairly standard fare...so I wouldn't label it as something you'd be missing out on if you don't watch it. But as a genre enthusiast, I'm liking it...in a watchable/entertaining sense. The team of detectives doesn't seem "elite" to me really...and I wouldn't really select them to work for me...but for generic television fare they are fine...and the stories/plots themselves are really quite decent...while the nearly three-hour runtime hums along smoothly. There is a Series 2 that looks to be coming out starting this year...another 5 movies. Watching this via the U.K. DVD.

Also finished two-of-four episodes from HBO's OLIVE KITTERIDGE miniseries...so far it is excellent!
Old 05-31-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

La Isla Minima (2014 - Spain) - two disparate detectives tackle a case when teen-age sisters go missing in a small town in the Spanish countryside...the English title is MARSHLAND...of course they soon find themselves sinking into the muck and mire of small town secrets...you've seen this all before. I suspect the first efforts that'll come to mind are MEMORIES OF MURDER and S1 of TRUE DETECTIVE...LA ISLA MINIMA "feels" like the aforementioned in terms of mood, atmosphere, and style. Also, one of the two detectives in LA ISLA MINIMA looks - in profile - a lot like Matthew McConaughey did - at times - in TRUE DETECTIVE. As with the other two mentioned, this too takes place in a period setting...in this case 1980...so you do get some socio-political commentary going on in the background or on the periphery. In terms of plot/story/characters it is entirely too familiar and while it thus never escapes the shadows of more impactful work in the genre, it offers a lot especially in terms of technicals and production values that allows it to rest comfortably as reasonably satisfying genre fare...unoriginal but otherwise well-done. Oddly, I might now pull the rug out from under the previous comment and say that while I enjoyed the journey, I did feel somewhat unfulfilled when things wrapped up...maybe the writing/storytelling felt a bit hazy and I would have preferred some more breathing room given to a number of aspects and characters in the film...maybe another ten minutes added to the 105-minute runtime. And maybe when all was said and done, it felt a little too much like of an effort in "we can do this type of movie just like everyone else can" type of cinema...not saying the story/characters weren't interesting or involving just that they didn't quite spark enough to register significant impact. LA ISLA MINIMA was a quality effort with certain elements worthy of notice...a satisfying enough exercise for genre enthusiasts...yet in terms of writing it was too run-of-the-mill and unremarkable...therefore it never really manages to get under your skin as a viewer.

Watched via the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack from Spain...the Blu-ray actually worked just fine in an ordinary U.S. (aka Region A) player.

Random comment....actor Jesus Castro aka Spain's Paul Newman...at least that is how he looks to me...also has a supporting role in this movie. "Also" meaning, he is also the lead in another Spanish crime film that I want to see - EL NINO. And when I first saw the cover of that DVD, I initially thought it was Paul Newman on the cover...and when he first appears in LA ISLA MINIMA, I initially thought he looked like Paul Newman (mainly because of the eyes) and then of course immediately connected that he was the same guy I will eventually be seeing in EL NINO (whenever the U.K. DVD gets a price drop).
Old 06-06-15, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We Are the Night (2010) - Lena is a lower middle class girl making a living by stealing. One day she is caught by a young police officer with intentions of arresting her, but he shows affection towards Lena. While on a night out Lena finds a flyer for a "secret" underground rave party. She goes there out of curiosity and meets Louise and her two companions, Charlotte and Nora. As it turns out the three women are actually vampires who have adjusted to "modern" living. They live the posh night life granted nightly shopping sprees with bribery after closing hours. Soon enough Louise falls in love with Lena, and Lena agrees to be turned into a vampire. Changing from ugly duckling to beautiful swan, Lena's new lifestyle becomes problematic when she engages in a romantic relationship with the young police officer - Louise is jealous, and demands the cop to be Lena's first victim. After all, they still need human blood to survive.
Big budget German production with international appeal filmed in Berlin, which makes for an interesting setting. Decent acting (the actress playing Louise provides much needed camp without being unintentional funny), characters are likeable, dialogue can be corny at times (not really embarrassingly so) if you are familiar with the German language. Special effects are convincing and gory, with a healthy amount of vampire violence. Stylish but not glossy, also poetic, We Are the Night reminded me of Near Dark (1987) mixed with The Craft (1996) while still being somewhat original.
I own the German Blu-ray which is region free but doesn't provide English subtitles.

Last edited by hbilly; 06-07-15 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was browsing around Amazon UK and "discovered" something new...a 2015 Swedish ten-part television series called JORDSKOTT...the DVD from ITV is scheduled for an August 17th release.

Following is a link to a trailer on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU5pgC54yt0

The amount of "interesting" television coming out of Europe is really starting to overflow my cart at Amazon UK...besides the aforementioned there is stuff like Denmark's ARVINGERNE/THE LEGACY and also 1864, and then LES TEMOINS/WITNESSES out of France, and the U.K.'s JONATHAN STRANGE & MR. NORRELL.
Old 06-11-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No Habra Paz Para Los Malvados (2011 - Spain) - a rogue cop's irresponsible actions result in him operating outside of the law - though too one step ahead of it - as he investigates the deeper and more nefarious connections to a local drug trafficker...the English title is NO REST FOR THE WICKED. The opening set-up to this was rather impressive...however what came after was much more bland and conventional...the vast majority of the runtime alternates between the cop - furtively - peeling away the layers of the case, while also trying to keep off the radar of other law enforcement officials who also find themselves following in his same track. There is some brief action but it is mostly limited to the bookends of the movie. After the opening, the rest of the movie feels much more like television grade fare...and even in that regard it isn't up to par. For example, something like the recently mentioned ARNE DAHL or SHETLAND come across as more impressive to me. Ultimately my reaction is "meh" with regard to this movie...so it rates out as only "fair". Watched via the English-friendly DVD from Spain.

With regard to impressive television crime fare...or at least the other end of things...I am really struggling to get through the final season of JUSTIFIED...while I've felt the show has been on a downward trend for some time, even I'm surprised by how lame, lifeless, and void of budget this final season has been so far (suffered through 7 of 13). Barring some unexpected change...I've so much soured on the series that I'd rate it as thumbs down. While something like SONS OF ANARCHY had a lengthy list of issues, I'd still give it a better overall rating than JUSTIFIED and its semi-constipated hero Raylan.
Old 06-17-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This seems a little different in terms of programming choices...a German television series is premiering tonight - Wednesday - on the Sundance channel here in the U.S. It's a spy show set in 1983 called DEUTSCHLAND 83...slated for 8 episodes. The lead actor is a little on the young side...hope the show isn't too light in tone. Only did a quick check, but didn't notice any German DVD release as of yet. First episode airs at 11pm.
Old 06-18-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gomorra - La Series (2014 - Italy) - started watching this Naples-set gangster television series...through 4 of 12 episodes so far. As of right now, it isn't really as "big picture" as I might have expected...at least in comparison to the 2008 Gomorra film version. I wasn't expecting THE WIRE in terms of scope or anything but I was anticipating that the storytelling might be a little more expansive. At this point it is rather conventional gangster fare...you follow the dealings of a crime boss (his wife and heir-to-the-throne son), and one of the organization's lead enforcers. It is suitably gritty in tone (and rated R type viewing...as you might expect from violent gangster fare). As a genre enthusiast, I'm finding it to be a solid fix...quick-paced and entertaining. At the same time it is all rather familiar and routine...for example episodes 3 and 4 were basically "prison" tales and again quite conventional and par-for-the-course...so fair to say there really isn't anything transcendent about the show (as of right now). Stefano Sollima - as he did with the series version of ROMANZO CRIMINALE - again turns up here as the director of a number of episodes. Watching via the English-friendly Italian release. The first two episodes ran about 55 and 57-minutes each, while the following two came in at around 47 and 45-minutes (with closing credits taking up a few minutes of those runtimes).

Noticed on the intro to the Italian home video release that a DIABOLIK television series is in the works...looking forward to it.
Old 06-19-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by flixtime
This seems a little different in terms of programming choices...a German television series is premiering tonight - Wednesday - on the Sundance channel here in the U.S. It's a spy show set in 1983 called DEUTSCHLAND 83...slated for 8 episodes. The lead actor is a little on the young side...hope the show isn't too light in tone. Only did a quick check, but didn't notice any German DVD release as of yet. First episode airs at 11pm.
I saw this the other day. It's not as deep or serious as The Americans since the circumstances are a bit more different. I found it enjoyable and will continue watching. I would say more but I don't really want to give away any plot points.

One note though--the subtitles for this show stink. They are white and at times it made this really hard to read, especially when it was against a white background.
Old 06-20-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, me too, meaning with regard to the subtitles on DEUTSCHLAND 83...I could have managed with the small font size, but as you said, there were many instances where the subs were just lost against white or lighter backdrops. Agree too with your assessment, not as heavy as THE AMERICANS, but I found it interesting enough that I'll make sure to sample some more. If I like what I see, I'll then likely just wait for a DVD release where - hopefully - the subs are player-generated aka easier-to-read, and not just the same burned-in subs from the broadcast. If we are having a strongly negative reaction towards the subtitles, I can't imagine the reaction of those less inclined to view a subtitled show in the first place.

Watched episodes 5 and 6 of GOMORRA, in terms of storytelling, things opened up to some degree. You do get a glimpse at the fashion designer character from the movie version, but - at least so far - you don't get into his story. I wonder if they are going to hold back on that and explore it perhaps in any following season...like THE WIRE...the same story but shift the focus to other characters.

Random comment: what is going on with Lionsgate home video...Jason Statham's WILD CARD gets an extended version on streaming/VOD, but the U.S. Blu is only the shorter theatrical cut...and yet the U.K. home video release gets the extended cut. And this week, the Michael Douglas movie BEYOND THE REACH again gets an unrated cut on streaming/VOD, but the U.S. Blu is only the shorter theatrical version...don't see a U.K. home release yet. Setting aside that neither movie is supposed to be all that great, I'm going to make sure to keep an eye out for this type of stuff before committing to any future purchases of Lionsgate Blu-rays/DVDs.
Old 06-21-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished S1 of GOMORRA. While there really isn't anything extraordinary or even fresh about it, as far as standard "plays all the right notes" gangster fare goes, it is solid, satisfying, and well done. You aren't really missing out on anything if you choose to bypass it, but if you are a fan of the genre - and don't mind "more of the same" or rather formulaic fare - it should be a pleasing experience. It was quick-paced and entertaining...I enjoyed going through the twelve episodes rather quickly. I'm certainly anticipating a second season. The first four episodes were probably the most intense, the show breathes a little more after those first four episodes. The main focus of the season is certainly on the characters I first mentioned. However, you do get a few episodes that center a little more on other characters who finds themselves caught in the gravitational pull of the main characters. In terms of runtimes, seven of the final eight came in within the range of 43- to 49-minutes, with the other being in the mid 50-minute range.

I think I'm going to revisit the film version sometime in the coming week; I recall very little of the movie version especially with regard to the characters that feature prominently in the series version.
Old 06-22-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Revisited the film version aka GOMORRA (2008). I recall not being too impressed by the film when I first saw it...especially when considering some of the glowing reviews it initially received...aka CITY OF GOD was a great movie...GOMORRA not so much. This second viewing didn't produce any significant change in opinion...if anything, I found the movie quite dull, so I'd probably drop my opinion of it another half-grade.

Anyway, the whole point was to see how it was now that I've seen a series version. Actually the two really don't have much in common at all...yeah the setting (of course) and style are nearly identical...but they both offer separate stories and characters...even the fashion designer character I mentioned is a totally different character...so it was simply poor recall on my part to say he turned up in the series version...actually totally different characters. Even the movie wasn't as "big picture" as I had remembered...yeah you get the fashion designer character who teaches the Chinese workers, and you get the storyline with the trash dumping guy and his assistant, but otherwise the movie was more straight up gangster based. The series version is pretty much a straight up gangster storyline. Both movie and series offer sidebars where you see youngsters getting involved with the gangsters.

Between the film and series, I prefer the series version. Not saying it is "better" in the film critic sense...but I certainly liked it better aka the series would be my "favorite" of the two. Cookie-cutter and overly familiar it might have been, but I found the series more enjoyable and entertaining. Giving it some thought then, I expect any S2 of the series will again be a straight gangster tale...and a total guess but perhaps S2 will be enough to wrap up whatever they had planned for the series version...I don't expect any "big picture" type deviations with any future storyline aka I wouldn't expect to see any of the fashion designer or garbage hauling type stories in the television version.

And...to step back a moment, I mentioned that Mexican movie EL INFIERNO some time back in this thread...I'll just suggest again, it really is deserving of a look. And the U.S. DVD is inexpensive enough for sure...though only 2.0 audio. The Mexican release has 5.1 audio but it isn't English-friendly.
Old 06-23-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Revisited the film version aka GOMORRA (2008). I recall not being too impressed by the film when I first saw it...especially when considering some of the glowing reviews it initially received...aka CITY OF GOD was a great movie...GOMORRA not so much. This second viewing didn't produce any significant change in opinion...if anything, I found the movie quite dull, so I'd probably drop my opinion of it another half-grade.
I have the same opinion of Gomorra too. I only watched it once years ago and came away really bored. I think I probably only liked one of the main storylines. I remember that this film was compared to Traffic, now while I didn't love Traffic, I liked watching it. For me, I don't think the stories intersected or connected enough (with a central theme) that engaged me. To me it was just a bunch of stories involving criminals in an impoverished city.

Slightly OT--I got the movie used at a Blockbuster, so I'm not that peeved at having seen it. But if I had to pay anywhere near full price to watch this I'd be livid.

Asian film question FLIXTIME--have you seen Lessons of Evil from Miike? The bluray seems to be selling for pretty cheap (under $20) on Ebay and I do find the plot pretty interesting.
Old 06-23-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lesson of the Evil (2012 - Japan) - Takashi Miike's latest...I quite liked it though all said and done it felt a little hollow in comparison to something such as CONFESSIONS (2010). Still I enjoyed it...and again you get extended mayhem to occupy the final third of the runtime.

sleepyhead, the above is a copy and paste of what I posted about LESSON OF THE EVIL...but that was a couple years back in the Asian thread. And even then it was posted sort of informally, in the sense that I was posting very short comments about a number of Asian films...in other words my thoughts were brief and I posted them quite some time after watching the movie. So they weren't as detailed or as long-winded as I might usually do when I post just after watching. And now I'm just too far removed from having seen it to offer any more than what I had initially posted. But, yeah, if going just as thumbs up or thumbs down, it was a thumbs up for me.
Old 06-24-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched Borsalino and Co (1974) yesterday. It's an OK film. I think it just doesn't take enough chances for me, in plot development and characterization. It's generally an Alain Delon film that delivers on it's goal but it just isn't that interesting. The characters aren't that interesting at all and as a result I wasn't really emotionally invested at all. The plot is at least a little more interesting with a few twists I didn't expect but it follows plotlines we've seen in previous crime dramas. Probably recommended for Alain Delon completists only. The Sicilian Clan, Any Number can Win, Le Samourai, and Le Cercle Rouge are far more interesting and should be watched before this one.
Old 06-26-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Caught up with the second episode of Deutschland 83...I found it quite enjoyable (and the runtime moves along briskly). While the issue with the subtitles remains, it didn't bother me as much. One (other) thing I still don't like is when they introduce a new location...the text mentioning the place such as "East Germany, etc., etc." or wherever it might be is quite small and it comes up and disappears too quickly...without me having enough time to comfortably process the information. The general tone occupies the large middle ground (between serious and playful). While it is a fairly standard spy show...I do like the period setting (so that also gives it at least a fresh or different/interesting feel), and of course I like the use of 1980's pop music in the show...and "yes" they of course used Nena's 99 Luftballoons (in the first episode). I'm also finding the protagonist to be likeable and easy to root for...and in general the show seems to be developing a nice roster of supporting characters. I've read that we actually got this series before Germany...they get it this coming Fall.
Old 06-29-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Caught up with the second episode of Deutschland 83...I found it quite enjoyable (and the runtime moves along briskly). While the issue with the subtitles remains, it didn't bother me as much. One (other) thing I still don't like is when they introduce a new location...the text mentioning the place such as "East Germany, etc., etc." or wherever it might be is quite small and it comes up and disappears too quickly...without me having enough time to comfortably process the information. The general tone occupies the large middle ground (between serious and playful). While it is a fairly standard spy show...I do like the period setting (so that also gives it at least a fresh or different/interesting feel), and of course I like the use of 1980's pop music in the show...and "yes" they of course used Nena's 99 Luftballoons (in the first episode). I'm also finding the protagonist to be likeable and easy to root for...and in general the show seems to be developing a nice roster of supporting characters. I've read that we actually got this series before Germany...they get it this coming Fall.
I didn't have an issue with the subtitles as much with this episode. I've never really paid that close attention to the text on the side, maybe I should. I wonder where the stuff with the girlfriend (who is now cheating on him) moving in with the mom will lead to.

General impressions are similar to yours. I'm kind of enjoying the fact that we're seeing him screw up once per episode it makes it seems somehow a little more realistic. I did have an issue with the editing during the latter part of the fight scene that took up the last part of the episode. There was a really odd cut that I found distracting. Other than that, I enjoyed the episode.
Old 06-30-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Akta Manniskor (2012 - Sweden) - more familiar by the English title REAL HUMANS (also a U.K. remake version - HUMANS - recently started airing), I'm halfway through S1 (5 of 10 episodes).

It really doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of stories about automatons, androids, cyborgs, robots, or whatever else you want to call them...given it is well-worn territory there is no shame in that I suppose. Apart from that, though it may not be especially challenging or insightful or thematically fresh, it is otherwise quite fine in terms of entertainment value...I'm enjoying it.

The show features a handful of different storylines following a number of characters both human and hubot (as the androids are called on the show, and too in a derogatory fashion by the term "pac man"). Primary to the show are a family (parents and three children...and their new hubot maid), and too the grandfather (and his relationship with his longtime buddy hubot)...you also have a working class blue collar type (who hates hubots) and his troubled relationship with his wife (and her hubot best friend)...and then too you follow a group of advanced renegade hubots who are on the run...unsurprisingly all these storylines interconnect.

In terms of a comparable TV-show, I might put forth something like that 1980s series ALIEN NATION (except without the buddy cop aspect). Thus this show too looks at issues such as "human" rights, discrimination, immigration, what it means to be alive/human, relationships (in general) and between humans and hubots, etc. Again all fairly obvious, but it manages to be engaging fare nonetheless. They did a nice job in casting all the assorted characters, and the show is well-balanced in the sense that all the assorted storylines are interesting in some way or another. I was a little concerned during episode 3 that the show was going the way of an HBO show in terms of plot momentum (or more precisely lack thereof), but then things moved along well in the following two episodes. I'm eager to watch the remaining episodes...as of now, while not essential viewing or anything, I'm certainly enjoying the experience (which is way more than I can say about HBO's LUCK (the horse racing show)...watched that before this, and it pretty much stunk).

To comment on the runtime (what can I say, it's a personality quirk) for REAL HUMANS...so far all the episodes are coming in at just under 61-minutes each...and the opening/closing credits run for no more than a minute total...so there is no fat in the runtime on this show. Watching S1 via the English-friendly, Canadian DVD release (there is also the option of an Australian DVD release). The show was cancelled after S2, and as of now there is no English-friendly release for S2.

Randomness...watched Dan Gilroy's NIGHTCRAWLER the other day...found it quite impressive (though I would've cut the "dot the i's" last couple of minutes of the movie). And the main action scene in the movie is better than anything in MAD MAX FURY ROAD. Jake Gyllenhaal's character struck me as familiar, and then maybe halfway through it came to me, his character reminded me very much of the Nicole Kidman character from TO DIE FOR. While TO DIE FOR was more a very dark comedy, NIGHTCRAWLER is more straight into the darkness (though it does have some very amusing moments).
Old 07-02-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched the third episode of Deutschland 83...and again quite enjoyed it. The show looks like a winner...folks who like THE AMERICANS should certainly give it a shot; they are the same, yet different...THE AMERICANS is grittier and the heavier of the two...though if you look at it in a certain way DEUTSCHLAND 83 actually requires less suspension of disbelief. DEUTSCHLAND 83 strikes a really nice balance in terms of tone...it's straight enough but they also have a lot of fun with it (1980s technology and such in this episode for example). I'm actually looking forward to watching this show now. The subtitles were fine aka no issue with white/light backgrounds in this episode.

Also downed three more episodes of Sweden's REAL HUMANS...solid viewing for sure. Will post again after finishing it, and also doing a quick sample of the remake version.
Old 07-02-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Had the chance to watch the first episode of HUMANS (the British/American remake of Sweden's REAL HUMANS). Following on the failures of other remakes such as THE KILLING, THE BRIDGE, and BROADCHURCH...did the Brits manage to find success where Americans did not...hell no!!! God...HUMANS was awful...really terrible...from the very beginning of the episode, and consistently throughout...they managed to come up well short in every possible way imaginable...didn't like the cast/characters...the storytelling was totally rushed and underdeveloped...it was a punishing experience sitting through this.
Old 07-02-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished S1 of Sweden's REAL HUMANS...things happened quickly over the final two episodes...even a little too quickly for my tastes...and it certainly left me wanting more. The second half of S1 finds our protagonists - both human and Hubot - coming under threat from some less than pleasant types. I quite liked S1, and I'd certainly grab S2 right now (if it were available with English subtitles). If you are a fan of this sub-genre and are looking for a fix, then give this show a go. If your preferences run a little more demanding...if you're looking for something more eye-opening and sophisticated then perhaps the show will leave you wanting (even casual viewers will have to roll with some aspects...such as the use of "Hubot" detectors when at times you'd think it's pretty obvious that the character is a Hubot). For me, in terms of simple entertainment value it rated out well...really liked the cast and characters, and enjoyed the storytelling (familiar as it might have been).
Old 08-02-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon UK has a promo running for August 3rd only...and that is going by British Standard Time of course...so it is currently active. Promo code BIGTHANKS gets you 10 GBP off an over 50 GBP order. Details can be found on the Amazon UK homepage.
Old 11-13-15, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Following on the previous post, now it is Amazon Italy with the coupon code....10 Euro off a 50 Euro order....good for today the 13th only and of course running by the time in Italy so you've got just under 11 hours remaining to use the code.

edited to add: again, details on the Amazon Italy homepage...code GRAZIE1000

Last edited by flixtime; 11-13-15 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-21-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon UK has a promo running for August 3rd only...and that is going by British Standard Time of course...so it is currently active. Promo code BIGTHANKS gets you 10 GBP off an over 50 GBP order. Details can be found on the Amazon UK homepage.
The above deal is active again...for January 22nd only.
Old 02-10-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

O Lobo Atras Da Porta (2013 - Brazil) - watched via the U.S. DVD with the English title A WOLF AT THE DOOR. Actually took this in a little too long back to be more long-winded about it...so I'll go with FATAL ATTRACTION meets SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE, told utilizing a "he said, she said" flashback structure (think maybe something like Showtime's series THE AFFAIR), done in the naturalistic style of a professionally made, low-budget indie. While I wouldn't go so far as to label it as essential viewing, it should make for satisfying viewing for those with an interest in darker fare. I liked it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.