Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-10-14, 12:00 PM   #51
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What DVD's 1rst prompted you to get a Region Free DVD player?

Farscape.

The R2 DVDs were years ahead of their R1 counterparts.. I mean literally, you could get Season 1 about 3 years earlier from the UK than from the US. Also, the R1 disc were all issued as "Starburst" editions (or some such nonesense) which were little more than "best-of" collections. The R2 DVDs were released in 4-5 episode sets, the episodes were sequential, each set in a pair of Amarays that themselves came in a beautiful box, and the backside artwork for the 5 boxes that comprised a season made a single image.

Here's S1:

Oh, and they were much less expensive as well.
Old 04-27-14, 10:09 PM   #52
divemaster

Re: What DVD's 1rst prompted you to get a Region Free DVD player?

I don't think it was any one particular title. I got into Korean films in a big way right at about the same time I switched from VHS to DVD (around 2002). I had already rented through the meager selection at my local Blockbuster and through the few Korean titles on Netflix. I knew that many Korean DVDs were R3 and that, along with my love of HK film, meant region free was the only practical option for me to see all those films I was hearing good things about. My first DVD player was a Sampo.

Having said that, it is possible that my very first R3 DVD was Battle Royale.