Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I need help identifying a movie

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a movie a few years ago that I cant remember the name of and it is really bugging me. It was an older Japanese movie dubbed in English on VHS. All I can remember is the main character is a samurai that gets followed around anywhere he goes by another samurai that owes him a debt. I think in the end, the guy following him turns out to be an assassin sent to kill him but Im really not sure if Im just confusing this with a different movie. Ring any bells? Sorry I dont have more details. This is all I can remember.
Old 06-04-12, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Re: I need help identifying a movie

Zatoichi? (2002)
Old 06-04-12, 03:10 PM

I dunno. It could have been creative choice but the movie felt much older like maybe from the 70s or 80s. From what I have been able to find out, it doesnt seem like anyone follows Zatoichi around because they owe him a debt either.
Old 06-04-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like a story from the Lone Wolf & Cub comics, but I don't think it was adapted into any of the films. Of course, I could be mixing up different samurai films/comics myself.

If you don't have any luck here, maybe try the more general Movie Talk forum.
Old 06-05-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruno Mayhem
I saw a movie a few years ago that I cant remember the name of and it is really bugging me. It was an older Japanese movie dubbed in English on VHS. All I can remember is the main character is a samurai that gets followed around anywhere he goes by another samurai that owes him a debt. I think in the end, the guy following him turns out to be an assassin sent to kill him but Im really not sure if Im just confusing this with a different movie. Ring any bells? Sorry I dont have more details. This is all I can remember.
It sounds familiar and I'm sure I've seen it, but it could be any number of films with that plot. I've seen a million samurai films but so few are dubbed into English it should be easy to track down the one you saw. Unfortunately, I tend to avoid the English-dubbed versions, so I couldn't tell you which ones were dubbed. The only ones offhand I can think of that were dubbed were LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH and SHOGUN ASSASSIN, both part of the Lone Wolf and Cub series, but I don't recall that plot being part of either.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-05-12 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-28-12, 08:22 PM

It could be one of the films of the Samurai trilogy starring Toshiro Mifune. These movies were well-known internationally and I think one of them won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film. I know for a fact they were released on VHS in the US, which was a relative rarity for any foreign films back then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Trilogy Follow the link for the summary of the first film and see if that leads you anywhere.