Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Panasonic DMP-BD60 is Capable of Playing Region B and C Disc.

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Panasonic DMP-BD60 is Capable of Playing Region B and C Disc.

Old 03-15-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Panasonic DMP-BD60 is Capable of Playing Region B and C Disc.

Originally Posted by clckworang
List updated.

That's what I figured. Someone might want to know before ordering if something will work. Made sense to me.
No problem with that . Just thought that with so many titles working you'd have a lot of work keeping the list updated. But if you don't mind, I'm all for keeping a running tally of working titles.
Old 03-19-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you LosingMyMind, most helpful, greatest post I've seen in a long, long time. Just finished watching Touch Of Evil on my ancient BD-30.
Old 03-22-12, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

I just tested my player, DMP-BD65, with the only Region B Blu-ray I have, Shaolin Soccer.

It worked! I had to press 3 and OK though.
Old 03-27-12, 07:22 PM

Just tried it on my Panasonic DMP-BDT110 and it works! The player doesn't do PAL, so it loaded EL CID with a black screen until the movie started...worked flawlessly from then on.
Old 06-20-12, 07:54 PM

Buyer beware...I have an all region blu ray player in my living room-I also have over 200 region B locked discs. So I figured I'd give the Panasonic DMP BD60 a try to have an extra all region player in our bedroom...hooked it up, used the exact directions given by the original poster and it DOES NOT Work.
Old 06-20-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darryl
Buyer beware...I have an all region blu ray player in my living room-I also have over 200 region B locked discs. So I figured I'd give the Panasonic DMP BD60 a try to have an extra all region player in our bedroom...hooked it up, used the exact directions given by the original poster and it DOES NOT Work.
What discs did you try?

Depending on the disc, you may have to use a different button combination. Also, some discs apparently don't work at all.
Old 07-23-12, 05:55 PM
Cool New Member

For the person that posted, I have a BD70V (the VHS model which I bought on sale on amazon for $100 & now sells for over $1,000 used) & it works just as stated.

Worked for main title (most times extras would play sound only):
Before the Revolution
Blue Velvet (French Digibook)
Bound (French)
Brazil (French Digibook w/ Director's cut)
Le Beau Serge
Les Cousins
Medea

So far the only title I couldn't get to play at all:
Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot
Old 08-18-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Subway (Luc Besson) worked on my Dmp-BD65. yay!
Old 11-16-12, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'll try to keep up a list of the titles that have worked for people. Maybe that will be useful to some.

Successful Discs

Animals
The Bedsitter Room
Cabin Fever 2
Coeur Fidele
Dracula, Prince of Darkness
Epic Movie
Futureworld
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Martyrs
Messengers 2: The Scarecrow
Mulholland Dr.
My Blueberry Nights (extra features may be a problem)
Navajo Joe (but extra features won't play)
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
A Perfect Getaway
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva
REC2
Rolling Thunder (but bonus trailer wouldn't play)
Sammy's Adventure (3D Blu-ray)
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
Silent Running
Stir of Echoes 2
Thirst
Touch of Evil
Two Lane Blacktop
2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams
The Unknown Woman (but extra features won't play)
Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

Problem Discs

Candy
Don't Look Now
Garden State
The Pianist
REC
Saw 3D (3D Blu-ray)
A Very Long Engagement

I purchased "Sammy's Adventure" on 3D Blu-Ray based on the success reported in this Forum but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. I get the screen saying this Disc can only be played in Region B. I then hit "stop" followed by "1" and then "enter" and it does take me to the movie but all I can do is play the movie in 2D, not 3D (although it does look really good even in 2D!).

If anyone has figured out the workaround for successful playback in 3D, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jplawman
I purchased "Sammy's Adventure" on 3D Blu-Ray based on the success reported in this Forum but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. I get the screen saying this Disc can only be played in Region B. I then hit "stop" followed by "1" and then "enter" and it does take me to the movie but all I can do is play the movie in 2D, not 3D (although it does look really good even in 2D!).
What model player are you using? Most of the models mentioned here are only 2D players. You're never going to be able to play the 3D version in a 2D player, regardless of version.
Old 11-30-12, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent thread. I'm going to have to get a Region B or C Blu and check it out on my BD60. My question is: Will it still work if I've put in all the firmware updates? There hasn't been one in a long time and they are probably done with them for this player, but I did put in all the prior ones to date. Would it affect this unlock capability?

And any new titles to add to the list?
Old 01-05-13, 06:45 PM

Does anyone know if the hack works on DMP-BDT220?
Old 03-07-13, 01:11 PM

I can confirm that MoC's Passion of Joan of Arc and Arrow's Black Sunday both worked.

Reading through this thread, it appears that every MoC release tested has worked. I will be receiving Arrow's Lisa and the Devil in about a week, and I will report back.
Old 03-11-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell is bikini spring break and is it worth importing it from a foreign land?
Old 03-11-13, 08:30 PM

Received my copy of Arrow's Lisa and the Devil and I can report that it also works.
Old 04-21-13, 05:36 AM

First post here,
Just really could do with knowing which Panasonic players this 'hack' works with? I need to get one as I have plenty of US blurays, and my US PS3 wont play them without an update to the firmware, which I dont want to do.
Many thanks in advance...
Old 05-06-13, 01:41 PM

I have a BD80 but haven't tried this method on that player but according to this thread it should work. Instead I now keep that player as a backup.

But, I also have a DMP-BDT220 and the method definitely works on that player. Since that player is a lot cheaper than the BD80 and has 3D capability I use it for any blu rays now until I get to the point in the future where I need the multi-channel analog feature of the BD80. Right now I just listen to all movies in analog stereo.

Since a multi-region DVD player is real cheap and easy to obtain I don't bother testing those [non region 1 DVDs] on the Panasonic Blu Ray player or try to get them to work and just use a DVD player for them.

I think the 220 is now out of currency and the 230 is the current model Panasonic 3D blu ray. Amazon reviews indicate owners aren't too happy with this model. I don't know if it will work with Region B blu rays using the method described in this thread.

I tested a copy of Silent Running (Region B, already listed in clckworang's list) and it works on the BDT220 including all of the special features. Zombie Flesh Eaters (Arrow, Region B, not on clckworang's list) also works using "1" (only tested that the main feature will begin play).

I had a bit of trouble with Railway Children (Region B) until I tried "66" instead of "1" and that finally got me into a disk track. Maybe if clckworang is still keeping up the list, add that to the list and the caveat you can't use the "1" key. Once I found "66" worked I didn't bother trying other numbers. I haven't watched the whole film yet; just confirmed I could start the film.

For blu rays, once you are in any disk track, then the main menu should then work for most functions. The "resume" feature will also work. So far I am starting to suspect that pretty much any Region B disk will work once you figure out the correct number to enter to access a track.

I am so excited that this works on my Panasonic blu ray player that now I'm afraid to do a firmware update! Another good thing to add to lists being collated would be tested and confirmed firmware versions for various players but that's a lot of work.

Last edited by WalterK; 05-06-13 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Adding more useful info
Old 05-06-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

A cheap region-free BD player has been made available in the US courtesy of KMart and Sears. Check here for the Seiki SR212S player:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ku=05720042000

It's a cheaply-made Chinese player, but a simple remote control code changes Blu-ray regions on it at will. It also will convert 1080i 50 Hz video to something American displays can handle. It normally goes for $60, but it regularly goes on sale and was very cheap on Black Friday. The build quality is absymal and there is no Internet connection for it (Profile 1.1 only), but it will play any disc thrown at it.
Old 06-03-13, 06:19 PM

Thanks, PhantomStranger, for the heads up, I did go ahead and get the Seiki SR212S for $59.95
It does indeed work with Region B PAL special features (such as those on "Railway Children").
Picture quality and load time are all good.
I didn't test the region 0 DVD capability.
That's all I'm going to really use it for (non-Region A, non-NTSC SD blu ray special features) but that makes it worth the $65 or so (including tax) to me.

I would use it more often perhaps, but the remote control key layout scheme is abysmal and others in other threads have mentioned plenty of times the lack of sensitivity of the main unit for receiving remote control signals at more than short distances. I'm not sure if others have mentioned the unusually short power cord (rather minor drawback).

If later I was to get a universal remote control that might address the issues with the remote control.
Old 06-03-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two Panasonics: DMP-BD60 and DMP-BD755 I've recently picked up the Arrow (Region B) Demons and Demons 2 discs. Tried this method with both (using ALL #'s 0-9), and they will load, but most I can get is a short loop leading up to the menu. Can't get to the actual menu or the films. Any thoughts or workaround?
Old 06-05-13, 05:25 PM

Hi dadaluholla!

I don't have either of those discs or I could maybe help you out more, but I'll say what I can.

Usually once you get to any content (even if its only audio), then from there you can get to the menu.
If this isn't working for you then my guess is you have to find the precise # corresponding to the film.
I am assuming the film is your goal...

I doubt you used ALL #'s 0-9. You couldn't. What I mean is I doubt you tried, say, #859 or some such. And hopefully you won't have to.

For example, to get into Railway Children I had to use #66 (although undoubtedly other numbers would work, but once I tried 1 (didn't work) and then 2 (didn't work) and 3 and 4 and 5 etc (but probably not all the way up to 10), then on a whim I tried 66 and got lucky.

I will say this. I have Zombie Flesh Eaters from Arrow and it loaded up OK (main film, not extras), so my guess is your Arrow disk is playable if you stick with it.
Old 06-05-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, I had only tried the single numbers 0-9, not any combos of numbers. Good lord it could be anything.
Old 06-29-13, 01:48 PM

Actually, the method being discussed is not a "hack", but a kind of backdoor to the disc contents. What it does is access the desired title directly, that is why many times you use a different number for different blu rays. It is simply bypassing certain parts of the BD menu structure. With a hack, you would be able to play any region BD's as if they were from the original player's region (menu, trailers, features, etc)
Old 07-13-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A cheap region-free BD player has been made available in the US courtesy of KMart and Sears. Check here for the Seiki SR212S player:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ku=05720042000

It's a cheaply-made Chinese player, but a simple remote control code changes Blu-ray regions on it at will. It also will convert 1080i 50 Hz video to something American displays can handle. It normally goes for $60, but it regularly goes on sale and was very cheap on Black Friday. The build quality is absymal and there is no Internet connection for it (Profile 1.1 only), but it will play any disc thrown at it.
I have two different Pioneer blu-rays, i tried the recent Hammer Dracula release and the remote code didn't work. Probably the code doesn't work in general on my machines. I saw that the Seiki player was on sale for $50 so I thought I'd try it. Only one Sears in my area had it so I picked it up. Wow, cheap looking player but it played the Dracula blu-ray flawlessly. Extra points that it's also a region free DVD player. I ordered a second for another room. Hard to say no to such a cheap price and free reign on any disc except 3D.
Old 07-14-13, 06:58 PM
BJ

Speaking of the recent Hammer Dracula (58), has anyone been able to play it on their BD60? I'd love to order it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.