Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for bargain on Clash movie released only in UK

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Looking for bargain on Clash movie released only in UK

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-00, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to buy "Westway to the World," which is a documentary about the Clash. It was only released on VHS in the UK, and I am trying to find somewhere to get it cheap. I'm wondering if there are any stores that have coupons or good shipping rates.

Also, Do I need to get the video in a certain format? I know there is NTSC and PAL, and I don't know if only one format will work on my "telly."

Thanks,
Dingus

------------------
Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs, and take them down. Just remember: they can buy anything, but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget that.

[This message has been edited by Dingus Khan (edited April 02, 2000).]
Old 04-03-00, 02:27 AM

I can't help you with 'The Clash' on VHS,but I can tell you that the majority of TVs and VCRs bought over the last 3 years will be multi-system.They will generally state loud and clear if they are,and be very quiet about the fact if they are not.I have had older tvs that could not handle an NTSC signal even though my VCR was able to produce it.To make a long story short,you got to check your manual!
If your checking out UK VHS,could I recommend that you try and source Noam Chomskys Manufacturing Consent,best VHS I've ever bought,and it only seems to be available in the UK
Old 04-03-00, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

UK VHS cassettes are infact PAL format, so unles you have a multisystem VCR and TV you will not be able to watch it (this is typically not the case with US VCRs and TVs. The other option is to get it converted, but that is usually expensive.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST
Old 04-03-00, 03:52 AM

Try http://www.blackstar.co.uk

They have it for 14.99 (Pounds), and free shipping worldwide.

It is in PAL format, so take note of cloud's advice above.
Old 04-03-00, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be getting a new TV and VCR!

------------------
Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs, and take them down. Just remember: they can buy anything, but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget that.
Old 04-03-00, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dingus,
If you go that route make sure they are multisystem - NTSC and PAL. They might be hard to find here in the US and/or more expensive.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST
Old 04-03-00, 03:34 PM

Dingus,

Aiwa makes a pretty decent multi-system VCR which will receive pretty much any format and convert it to pretty much any format. So you can play a PAL tape on an NTSC tv. The last time I looked, they ran about $500US.

A friend of mine bought one to take back to South Africa, which uses PAL/I, along with an NTSC tv, so it converts the PAL broadcast for his NTSC tv. Neat!
Old 04-06-00, 01:12 AM
Tec

500$ sounds quite a lot, here you can get a hifi VCR with PAL/NTSC-system starting from under 250$ (samsung etc..) to some over 300$ for better VCR's, like Panasonic, JVC, Sony...

I suppose if you buy (have) TV, which has RGB input (they should have I think, mine has 2), it should show any format as long as your VCR outputs RGB (I suppose they should do).