Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is this Red Cliff I and II DVD release legit?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-07-10, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

$5 seems to be way too good to be true for a quality DVD of both, anyone know anything about it?

I've yet to snag the US release and while I plan to get the Blu-Ray later on, if this is legit and the quality is good, I can't pass it up.
Old 06-07-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is this Red Cliff I and II DVD release legit?

Good sign: HKFlix usually doesn't have bootlegs.

Bad signs: Cheap price, unknown/unlisted distributor, no special features listed at all, region 0 (but actually, there are many Asian Region 0 discs that are OK).

But how are you seeing $5? The link I followed shows $20. Some short-lived deal?

HKFlix has a daily deal, but I check every day, and yesterday was Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi and today is K-20.

You could try asking MichaelHKScott, who works there (site owner?) and recently joined DVDTalk (see the HKFlix Never Again! thread in the Store Forum), for more info about the release.

Last edited by Cheato; 06-07-10 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-07-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cheato

Bad signs: Cheap price, unknown/unlisted distributor, no special features listed at all, region 0 (but actually, there are many Asian Region 0 discs that are OK).

But how are you seeing $5? The link I followed shows $20. Some short-lived deal?

HKFlix has a daily deal, but I check every day, and yesterday was Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi and today is K-20.

You could try asking MichaelHKScott, who works there (site owner?) and recently joined DVDTalk (see the HKFlix Never Again! thread in the Store Forum), for more info about the release.
Yeah, it was $4.95 the other day. At $20, I might as well just buy the standard R1 release.
Old 06-10-10, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato

HK Flix sells bootlegs all the time. They are one of the leading sellers of movies from some of the most infamous bootleg companies out there.
Old 06-10-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
HK Flix sells bootlegs all the time. They are one of the leading sellers of movies from some of the most infamous bootleg companies out there.
That's shocking news to me, especially considering the supporters here on these forums. I've ordered about 8 movies from them, and I don't believe they are bootlegs. Can you give examples, or point me to discussions where other people claim to have received bootlegs?

And if they do it, what about YesAsia and DDDHouse and others that are recommended by people here?
Old 06-10-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was told once Panmedia releases are bootlegs.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/distrib.../qx/titles.htm
Old 06-12-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, reading a bit on various sites, it appears as though there's a case for PanMedia (and maybe Red Sun DVD, Bonzai Media, and HK Video, which all might be the same company) titles being bootlegs.

That's unfortunate. I had 2 of those bootlegs on my list of things to buy (if the prices dropped), as the PanMedia versions were the only source I could find for them that was still in print. I'm disappointed that HKFlix sells them.
Old 06-12-10, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also worth noting is that this version has both films crammed onto one dvd-9.