Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-07-10, 08:18 PM   #1
divemaster

My Oppo took a dump--looking for advice

Ok, so my Oppo DV-980H just up and stopped supporting HDMI and component output. I've got it hooked up through yellow-to-yellow RCA composite video which gets me a picture but of course leaves the visual experience sorely lacking on my HDTV.

(Yes, I tried new cables; tried alternate inputs on the TV; tried resetting the Oppo to factory defaults. Nothing has worked.)

My options:

1) Send this unit back to Oppo for (non-warranty) repair. Have to pay cost of repair + shipping.

2) Look for another DVD player (upconverting; region-free; proper PAL to NTSC; and reliable)

3) Upgrade to Blu-Ray (looking for the same features as listed above)

My normal source to investigate such things is HKFlix. That's where I bought my Oppo (and the 2 previous players). Well, I went to HKFlix to see what they had and they are no longer selling any hardware at all! I don't know the first place to even look for a good region-free DVD or Blu-Ray player. I've been through Sampo and Philips and now Oppo and I don't even know what the next good player and deal is out there. I had really counted on the Oppo to last more than 16 months.

Any advice? I'd rather see what y'all in the forum have to say before heading to Best Buy or Amazon or wherever; or just deciding to send it in for repair.
Old 03-08-10, 02:25 PM   #2
Steve

Re: My Oppo took a dump--looking for advice

have you tried contacting OPPO support? I have found them VERY helpful.

The other thing would be to download the latest firmware and reboot. Ya never know!!
Old 03-09-10, 09:52 AM   #3
divemaster

Yeah, I called Oppo and that's where I got the information for my "option 1." I was hoping they had authorized service centers in my area, but evidently all units needing repair have to be sent to Oppo HQ (in California if I recall). I'll have to call Oppo service again to take this route. I'll ask about the firmware when I do.

When my Philipps crapped out, I just tossed it b/c it only cost $50, so in comparison I guess it's worth it to get the Oppo repaired rather than look for a new player. I guess that's what I'll do, as I don't have a good idea of "the newest best thing" in region free, PAL/NTSC compatible DVD players at a reasonable price.
Old 03-12-10, 10:43 AM   #4
Steve

I haven't found anything that touches the OPPO in the features you are looking for.

Will probably get the BDP83 from them.. though that won't be region free.. so may have to have both around for a while!
Old 03-14-10, 07:13 PM   #5
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Will probably get the BDP83 from them.. though that won't be region free..
There are hardware mods of the BDP83 to make it region free:

http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_oppo_..._firmware.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...-part-6-a.html
Old 03-14-10, 08:21 PM   #6
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I haven't found anything that touches the OPPO in the features you are looking for.

Will probably get the BDP83 from them.. though that won't be region free.. so may have to have both around for a while!
You might also look into the Oppo BDP80, which is more than $200 cheaper, assuming it offers the features you want. Both players are easily modified to be region free and zone free. The mod kits are player-specific and can readily be found on eBay for $60 or cheaper. It only takes about five minutes to install (replacing a data cable is all you have to do).