Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cristian Mungiu 5 DVD Box set

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 12-14-09, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.amintiridinepocadeaur.ro/...d-uri+pret.png

Title: "4 1/2 films and 5 stories"

The last item is the box set including:
a short film (hence the 1/2);
"Occident"= the one film Mungiu made before "4,3,2";
the "4,3,2" itself
and the recent double feature "Memories from the golden age".
It also includes a booklet with five stories which became films between 1994 and 2005 (I suspect it is in Romanian).

So far it doesn't seem possible to order from outside of Romania. Even within the country, they offer the DVDs with COD. It might be possible that at some point the e-bookstore will sell it in their New York store (see the link with international retailers). Anyway, 120 RON is like $50 (give or take), so even I am not even considering a purchase yet.

Edited to add: apparently the discs have French and English subtitles. Don't know the region, or if they have one.

Last edited by CritterYawn; 12-14-09 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-14-09, 03:03 AM

Re: Cristian Mungiu 5 DVD Box set

I have to add that the double feature "Memories/Tales From the Golden Age" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1422122/ ) contains several urban legends from the communist years, each one is directed by someone else, the concept and the writing belonging to Cristian Mungiu, who also directed one of the sections. The stories build up to a comprehensive image of the mental during those years, and, despite of different directorial styles, they must be viewed as a whole in order to get the big picture.
Old 12-14-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Critter, were you able to find a way to order it? or do we need to create some sort of friendly international exchange from people in these countries.
Old 12-14-09, 06:52 PM

So far there is no way to order it from here. As I said, I suspect that eventually it will show up in the NYC branch of the Carturesti bookstore ( see http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9475455-post42.html ).
So yes, for now the only way to get it is through informal contacts, and maybe some eBay auctions (maximum care is needed, but this goes without saying).

I might contact relatives there, beg them to send me one and when I'll get it I'll come back and tell more about total cost, total time and material quality.