Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 12-07-09, 07:25 AM   #126
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixtime View Post
A South Korean horror film to keep an eye out for (no DVD announcement as of yet) is POSSESSED; it has received good reviews.
YesAsia just listed for pre-order (releasing on January 6th) a 2-disc, English-friendly, Korean DVD for a movie called FAITH. The entry was rather a mystery to me, but after a little clicking around, it seems that FAITH is indeed the well-received (koreanfilm.org, twitch) Korean horror film POSSESSED (aka LIVING DEATH).
Old 12-08-09, 03:26 AM   #127
Dane
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What´s HOT in Asian cinema right now?

City of Life and Death - a highly recommended war movie from China. Available on an english friendly DVD from Buyoyo from $4.50 + other various releases.

http://www.buyoyo.com/buyoyo/eng/Pro...rfnbr=11328816
Old 12-09-09, 04:55 PM   #128
Rypro 525
DVD Talk Hero

anyone heard of a movie called "Frozen Flower"? seems interesting, was wondering if it was worth checking out
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
Old 12-09-09, 05:01 PM   #129
Rypro 525
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by newginafets View Post
The Chaser is AWESOME!
i actually rented that one from Blockbuster, since it was an IFC release. I really enjoyed that one too
Old 12-09-09, 08:20 PM   #130
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
anyone heard of a movie called "Frozen Flower"? seems interesting, was wondering if it was worth checking out
Watched it a while back (via the Korean DVD)...I think I might have mentioned it somewhere...for what it's worth, it scores an easy thumbs up in my book.
Old 12-10-09, 09:35 AM   #131
toddly6666
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would Frozen Flower be catagorized as a bisexual-historical-royalty-epic martial arts film?
Old 12-11-09, 01:49 PM   #132
newginafets
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
City of Life and Death - a highly recommended war movie from China. Available on an english friendly DVD from Buyoyo from $4.50 + other various releases.

http://www.buyoyo.com/buyoyo/eng/Pro...rfnbr=11328816
how much is the total including shipping?
Old 12-11-09, 02:15 PM   #133
dleedlee

It depends on what else you buy. Buyoyo is geared towards buying in bulk. Looks like they've changed their tiers again. It used to be 10, 20, 30, etc, then 10, 30, now it looks like smaller tiers have been added, maybe because I wrote to them. 20 used to be my personal sweet spot and I used Courier, since it was actually cheaper then, but now DHL went under, not sure who they use. Box sets tend not to be cost efficient as the DUs (delivery units) are too inflated.

Shipping schedule, US is region C:
http://www.buyoyo.com/buyoyo/eng/showShippingService.do
Looks like +3.80 for 1 unit if you use Air Mail. So, not bad.

For small quantities, I use yesasia, though their prices seem to have risen this past year.
Old 12-11-09, 03:40 PM   #134
Dane
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have used Buyoyo nomourous times, and find them very reliable. Shipping cost is OK considering they both have a wider selection and much cheaper than YesAsia,
Old 12-13-09, 01:30 PM   #135
newginafets
DVD Talk Special Edition

so it's like cheap if we buy in bulk? cos i tried to buy City of LIfe and Death but total cost is $20++ that's just crazy.
Old 12-13-09, 03:30 PM   #136
Dane
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by newginafets View Post
so it's like cheap if we buy in bulk? cos i tried to buy City of LIfe and Death but total cost is $20++ that's just crazy.
That´s because you chose "Courier" that makes the shipping so expensive ($22.70 to Scandinavia).

Use "Air mail" and the shipping cost drops considerably ($3.40 to Scandinavia).
Old 12-29-09, 03:21 PM   #137
Rypro 525
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Almost forgot to mention it...Hong Kong's Oscar submission - PRINCE OF TEARS - is releasing on English-friendly HK DVD on the 15th of this month.
Got this for christmas, also some good news too, the extras actually contain English Subtitles which i know is a rareity in asian DVD releases. From the brief part of the movie i watched, everything looked very good and professional.
Old 01-02-10, 07:52 PM   #138
nitin77

finally watched Good, Bad, Weird last night and overall found it to be above average. While it has perhaps some of the best staged action scenes in the last 5 yrs (the choreography and camerawork during these is stunning), there is not a lot here to maintain a 135 min runtime at all.

The big three from Sth Korea last year (this, Thirst, Mother) were all disappointing for me, although not without merit. Mother probably came out best but I was expecting more from even that.

Must Watch Films
http://www.imdb.com/list/tRA4ZACG66o/
Old 01-06-10, 04:33 PM   #139
Frenzy
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thumbs up for ACCIDENT. Probably my favourite Hong Kong production in 2009. Deals with a bunch of killers who stage accidents to eliminate their targets. Not suprisingly it's a Milkyway movie. I liked it even more than Vengeance.
Old 01-08-10, 02:53 PM   #140
toddly6666
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone get this Mamori Oshii movie yet - KILL (KIRU):

I hear that his movie is okay but the other three are not that good. Can anyone comment on the DVD quality of this "official bootleg?"
Old 01-12-10, 08:56 PM   #141
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't had much luck with recent HK/China crime-type viewings...the high-profile trio of ACCIDENT, OVERHEARD (slow-to-start, though it recovered nicely and impressed after that), and VENGEANCE (recycled, weak ending...a general air of been there-done that...yawn) all fell short of expectations...and other entries such as PLASTIC CITY, REBELLION, and BUTTONMAN were entirely forgettable. Surprisingly, Murderer (2009), a film which seems to have inspired general dislike from what I've read, is one I actually found thoroughly entertaining. Generally speaking, MURDERER is a mystery film with thriller elements. I won't comment too much about it because it is very spoiler-sensitive...in fact don't read the second user comment at IMDb at all because it gives away the major twist. The movie isn't really anything new under the sun...and brief instances might remind the viewer of a couple of very well-known Hollywood flicks...and even the twist will prove familiar viewing to many (though MURDERER likely shouldn't be docked points for that). The film is actually a Hong Kong/U.S. co-production and I actually thought the script might have been written by an American as the movie felt more Hollywood than Hong Kong (but the writer was indeed Chinese). The film would actually adapt quite well as a commercial Hollywood B-movie. The lead performance from Aaron Kwok was rather overblown, and maybe a few of the supporting players came up short it the acting department too. Also, the director should have tweaked a few things...for example when a character on a balcony screams for help, two others who were clearly deeper inside the residence then immediately show up to render assistance. Still, this movie wasn't intended as high art or profound cinema, and I was certainly being entertained throughout the two-hour runtime so I can look past these complaints. And it does excel in other technical areas such as cinematography and delivering a couple of decent jump moments, so that ranks on the plus side of the ledger. On my scorecard, MURDERER ranks as an entertaining and recommended popcorn muncher...and if I hadn't previously seen the movie which shares a similar plot revelation with MURDERER then MURDERER would have scored even better in my book. If I had to choose one film to re-watch tomorrow from a selection of ACCIDENT, OVERHEARD, VENGEANCE, and MURDERER...MURDERER would be my choice.
Old 01-13-10, 01:28 AM   #142
toddly6666
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
..MURDERER would be my choice.
Now would you still want to see MURDERER if it starred all Western non-Chinese actors - or would it just seem like a made-for-tv movie? You said it would do well as a Hollywood flick, but it seems like the type of Hollywood flick that would do well in the mid-1990s.

What a disappointing last year for Asian movies...
Old 01-13-10, 03:25 AM   #143
nitin77

I just cant agree with this sentiment of "made for tv" movie.

Having recently seen The Good, the Bad and the Weird, which is a movie thats been discussed here, I found it to be above average at best but not because it was a "made for tv" movie. In fact, the technical virtuosity on display, particularly the fight scenes, shits on anything Hollywood's put out for quite a while. It was, however, lacking in other areas to be a good film.

Must Watch Films
Old 01-13-10, 04:20 PM   #144
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Now would you still want to see MURDERER if it starred all Western non-Chinese actors - or would it just seem like a made-for-tv movie? You said it would do well as a Hollywood flick, but it seems like the type of Hollywood flick that would do well in the mid-1990s.
Well, I do enjoy crime films so it would come under consideration even if it was a Hollywood-type cast...I guess my level of interest would depend on which former A-list type they cast as the lead and how much effort they put into the film. That new Mel Gibson movie is one I'm going to catch on DVD and it might fall in to the category of something retro (and it's a remake of an 80's BBC miniseries). Any proposed Hollywood remake of MURDERER wouldn't be the type of film you would release in the Summer or during late Fall awards time...but maybe something like the new Gibson film...B-material to release in the Winter or after schools open in early Fall. Just to clarify, when I mentioned it would "adapt well" to Hollywood, I wasn't really pointing towards box-office, but more that the story could quite easily be translated to a U.S.-setting...maybe set in some steamy Southern U.S. locale such as Florida or Louisiana and position it as something with a vibe of sunbaked neo-noir or the like (which I suppose is sort of a throwback to the 90's like you said). The only problem with all this being that a lot of MURDERER's thunder was already delivered by another film...so that'd be a big drawback.

Though a lot of the technicals are quite polished in MURDERER, I suppose it could work as TV material since there isn't a lot as far as big action scenes and such...no shame in that as the made-for-TV RED RIDING films were ones that I enjoyed...certainly a lot more than the budget-waster that was PUBLIC ENEMIES (which too could be said to be made-for-TV material).

To reiterate, I'm not proposing that MURDERER is some sort of great movie, but I did enjoy it consistently throughout (especially as compared to other recent HK crime efforts) and the scene where the twist gets revealed did leave a big grin on my face. Is MURDERER a better piece of cinema than VENGEANCE...maybe not...but VENGEANCE was just a rehash of so much of what Johnnie To has been doing lately (it often felt like I was watching EXILED - PART 2). Director To didn't really do anything to challenge himself in VENGEANCE, and thus it didn't really leave much impression on me as a viewer.
Old 01-13-10, 04:37 PM   #145
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Now would you still want to see MURDERER if it starred all Western non-Chinese actors
Probably an idea for a separate thread but an interesting point...you know that MAMMA MIA movie from not too long back...well I really don't have any interest in ever seeing it (not passing judgment on its quality, just that it doesn't interest me). On the other hand, if it had been done by a bunch of Bollywood performers, I certainly would have checked it out and it might have been something I would have proclaimed as my favorite Indian film of the year. So in that sense, I will readily accept that I do seem to exhibit some prejudices in my viewing choices. I wonder too if I lived in HK or India and was subject to the daily over-exposure of their industry stars, then how that would affect my viewing choices.
Old 01-14-10, 02:04 AM   #146
nitin77

flixtime,

it seems like you watch more bollywood than the average indian so your viewing choice should already be affected

Must Watch Films
Old 01-15-10, 08:59 PM   #147
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin77 View Post
flixtime,

it seems like you watch more bollywood than the average indian so your viewing choice should already be affected

You know, I actually haven't watched a single Indian film in maybe two months. It seems like every high-profile Hindi movie of late has marketing that hits you with a deluge of smiling faces and candy-colors...everything looks the same...featherweight fluff...DIL BOLE HADIPPA, WAKE UP SID, WHAT'S YOUR RAASHEE...though I guess that is how Bollywood has been for a long time. Despite all that, I think I'm going to have to dive back in and catch up with all the stuff I've been...umm, "missing". Maybe I'll start with 3 IDIOTS (and "yes" I was a little surprised to learn that Akshay Kumar didn't have a role in the movie)...but, anyway, the title surely doesn't inspire confidence but I'm a big fan of director Rajkumar Hirani's previous MUNNABHAI films so that gives me a significant amount of hope. And then I guess there's a lot to choose from...PAA, JAIL, TUM MILE, ROCKET SINGH, RADIO and I never caught up with ALADIN either. Maybe I'd better slide in a couple of viewings real soon, and then start to sprinkle the rest in going forward the next couple of months...that is if I survive the first couple of viewings without experiencing one of my semi-regular "worst film of the year" meltdowns (which I would naturally share in the Indian thread).
Old 01-15-10, 09:40 PM   #148
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Caught up with Nobody To Watch Over Me (2008, Japan) via the Hong Kong DVD. This film is Japan's submission for the upcoming Oscars. The story follows two primary characters - a detective and a teen-age girl he is assigned to protect. Protect from whom, you might ask? Well, it isn't the yakuza or some other standard bad-guy type. In this case, it is from society in general. The teen-age girl becomes the subject of a mass-media "instant news" feeding frenzy when her elder brother commits a murder. As depicted in the film (and introduced via on-screen text at the film's opening), when a family member commits a crime, the remainder of the family is also branded as deserving of blame and ridicule. So our character-based drama unfolds upon this set-up. As is rather commonplace, the detective too is restling with his own sense of guilt over past actions and personal shortcomings. Basically, the film is a plain package with a nice center formed on solid characters and basic storytelling. I found it emotionally-moving and I very much felt involved with the plight of our two lead characters. NOBODY TO WATCH OVER ME rates an enthusiastic "better-than-good" recommendation in my book.
Old 01-26-10, 08:35 PM   #149
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Following up on my earlier post (found at the top of this page), I gave a spin to the 2009 Korean horror film Possessed aka Living Death aka Faith (just search "possessed" at IMDb and you'll find it at option number 7). I enjoyed it...I've been rather lax in keeping up with recent Korean horror so I can't wrap my rating up in any context as to how it rates in comparison to other recent entries...but, yeah, I enjoyed the time spent watching it. POSSESSED received some rather praiseworthy reviews from twitch and koreanfilm.org...and while I don't quite share their level of enthusiasm (meaning perhaps I wouldn't rate it as "essential" viewing), it still grades a comfortable recommendation in my book. Actually, what I don't really care for is the title "Possessed", having seen the film, I find "Faith" to be far more fitting. Also, I'm not quite sure how this film would fit with modern horror audiences with a preference for more commercial type horror films...which, if I recall correctly, was similar to how I felt about the Belgian horror flick - LEFT BANK - which I mentioned recently in the European thread. I would even strongly suggest to approach "FAITH" as if you were going to watch a mystery-type film instead of a horror film. Yeah, the horror elements are present in satisfying amount with some jump scares and creepy atmosphere and such, but still maybe set your mind that you are going to watch a film that at its core is a mystery (though certainly wrapped in a horror shell). The mystery involving our protagonist - a college-aged girl - who returns home after learning from her mother that her younger sister has gone missing...coming in to play are the mother who is an obsessive Christian, the investigating detective (with a sick child), and a handful of mysterious neighbors residing in the apartment building that is home to the missing girl.
Old 01-27-10, 02:48 AM   #150
logboy

Quote:

What a disappointing last year for Asian movies...
it's hard to say this for certain, infact , even for fans that follow Asian films this is misleading. not only do large parts of Asian remain largely uncovered or unviewed (it's still largely about japan, korea, hk) but we also simply don't get access to all or most of the films from the most popular of countries.

perhaps, if it was disappointing for you (as with anyone, of course), you were just unlucky in what choices you were able to make? I feel like that, that the 30+ best looking Japanese films of the 200+ I tracked, will probably mostly remain unreleased, or it will be a long time before they suddenly pop up somewhere. this is due to various factors, of course, including a sense of resignation or failure to confidently cover what simply interests us & may not interest others, as both sites & individuals do. it's also to do with being a bit too stuck in the here & now of new releases & not maintaining interst in films you've seen covered which later appear to little or no fanfare due to the amount of sifting that needs doing to follow what isn't collectively covered by varied diverse tastes.
Sponsored Links