Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

I highly recommend the player. I've moved my PS3 to my bedroom and kept the Momitsu in the living room. It does take a little while to load and today I had issues with opening up the Ghostbusters menu, but movie played perfectly. I've had no problems with anything else. Region free Blu-ray + region free DVDs is a wonderful thing.
Old 06-22-09, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Now that the Oppo BD-83 can be hacked to play all region DVDs and all Blu-ray zones, there is no other player that can touch it for its quality at its price.
Old 06-22-09, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
Now that the Oppo BD-83 can be hacked to play all region DVDs and all Blu-ray zones, there is no other player that can touch it for its quality at its price.
I told myself I would never spend more than $300 for a DVD/Bluray player, but this will be mine to upgrade over the PS3. I can't wait.
Old 06-22-09, 06:57 PM

BD-83 hacked? Tell us more.
Old 06-22-09, 07:12 PM

Yeah, its price is something like between $499-550 dollars. The Momitsu seems like a bargain. I know Oppo's are rolls royce of Universal DVD players but they are pricey.
Old 06-22-09, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by samper
BD-83 hacked? Tell us more.
See here
Old 06-22-09, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheDoug
Yeah, its price is something like between $499-550 dollars. The Momitsu seems like a bargain. I know Oppo's are rolls royce of Universal DVD players but they are pricey.
Not between $499--550, it's $499. The Denon DVD-A1UDCI:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4760.asp

is the Rolls Royce of universal players at $4500. The Oppo is the very reasonably priced and well-performing Honda. The Momitsu is the Hundai/Kia of the group.
Old 06-22-09, 10:29 PM
Banned

The Momitsu is the Hundai/Kia of the group.
More like Toyota. I would never buy a Hundai/Kia.
Old 06-23-09, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I take it the dvd playback of the oppo blu ray player is upscaled and really good like their regular dvd players?

And do you have to be a genius to apply the hack or is it actually fairly straightforward?

Last edited by nitin77; 06-23-09 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 06:58 AM

Thanks you CINE. I may have to consider the BD-83 now.
Old 06-23-09, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ted Kontos
I won't have a chance to perform any critical analysis this week (one son going to China, the other graduating). But by this weekend, I intend to A-B it against my Oppo 983 for SD. I already know that it's a solid BD player from what I've seen (so nice to be BD region-free!).
I finally had the chance in the last couple of days to test the SD upconversion of the Momitsu vs. the Oppo 983. I used a number of discs, but the one that is most telling is my R2 German copy of My Name Is Nobody. This is an anamorphic interlaced transfer that on most players looks terrible. For instance, in the opening credits when Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill exchange long glances, there are pronounced jaggies in the brim of Fonda's hat that the Oppo resolves nicely. So does the Momitsu. After A-B testing this and some other non-R1 and R1 disc scenes, I can happily (and surprisingly) say that I could perceive NO discernible differences in the Oppo and Momitsu upconversion, PQ and AQ on my 61" Samsung LED-based DLP set. I don't know what chipset Momitsu uses, and I do know that the purists will say that in no way could it beat the ABT processor in the Oppo, but I am only saying that I could not see any differences between the two units, period.

Blu-ray performance is stellar. PAL extras on Region B BDs play fine. I use the 1080P setting (to enable PAL->NTSC conversion) and 16:9PB to ensure proper Aspect Ratio playback. Speed lags a bit compared to my PS3, but it is much faster than the Sharp 20U I owned briefly (my only other standalone player). Build quality appears to be about the same as any Samsung or Panasonic unit I've seen in stores. The blue lights that many complain about do not bother me in the least. If I'm watching a movie, I don't look at the indicators emanating from my A/V components.

There you have it. If any issues pop up, I'll keep you posted. But I thought that since many have asked about the player, I'd get a review up as soon as I could. Highly recommended.
Old 06-23-09, 11:34 PM

So disappointed -- My Momitsu arrived 25 minutes ago but is damaged. I could hear a rattling inside the player, then the flap covering the disc tray fell off in my hand.

*edit* OK, on looking closer, it's not a flap, but the extended front of the disc tray which becomes the cover when the disc tray is closed. Looks like it was just glued on.

And on further inspection, the front of the unit is awfully scratched up for a new unit. (Most of the protective film was also peeled away.)

Last edited by rkndkn; 06-24-09 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by nitin77
I take it the dvd playback of the oppo blu ray player is upscaled and really good like their regular dvd players?

And do you have to be a genius to apply the hack or is it actually fairly straightforward?
Yes, the Oppo upscaling equals or excels their latest DVD player.

To apply the hack, download it to a thumbdrive or burn it to a CD and put it in the player like you would if you were upgrading the firmware in the usual fashion.

The one caveat is that Oppo often improves their firmware and supposedly a new hack will be needed each time the firmware changes. You could keep the old firmware and hack if you wanted as they both are very stable or upgrade and wait for a new hack and if the new hack doesn't appear in a timely manner, you can downgrade back to the old firmware and hack.

I don't know what chipset Momitsu uses, and I do know that the purists will say that in no way could it beat the ABT processor in the Oppo, but I am only saying that I could not see any differences between the two units, period.
The Momitsu sounds very nice and I'd probably buy one, but I'd be worried if the player malfunctioned or needed repairs. Some of the past Momitsus have not been the most reliable. Oppo has their base of operations in California and are very quick to offer repairs and solutions to problems. Their customer service is one of the best I've ever encountered. When you call their offices, you're talking to a tech or saleperson within a matter of minutes in their Mountain View office.
Old 06-24-09, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks Ted.

You dont by any chance have the r2 version of The Magician (bergman). This dvd has line breaks up on most players I've seen, see chapter 3 or chapter 4 for example. If you have this dvd, could I please ask you to see if the momitsu makes it watchable?

franchot,

cheers, very useful to know.
Old 06-24-09, 06:13 AM

The Momitsu sounds very nice and I'd probably buy one, but I'd be worried if the player malfunctioned or needed repairs. Some of the past Momitsus have not been the most reliable. Oppo has their base of operations in California and are very quick to offer repairs and solutions to problems. Their customer service is one of the best I've ever encountered. When you call their offices, you're talking to a tech or saleperson within a matter of minutes in their Mountain View office.
Momitsu has a U.S. office in California as well and were very responsive to my concerns, since my first unit also had problems.
Old 06-24-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

So does anyone know where the Oppo is for sale?
Old 06-24-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Only official source is direct from the manufacturer...

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

You have to register to get on the waiting list...

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-Register.aspx
Old 06-24-09, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
...or in the UK, available with or without region modification, here.
Old 07-14-09, 09:50 PM
Cool New Member

I can't speak of the Momitsu player but I've replaced my PS3 with the Oppo BDP-83 and am very very happy! I use an external scaler (Lumagen Radiance XE) so can pass video with Direct Source (480i/576i) for DVD and 1080p 24/fps for most Blu-ray. Note that not all BD is 1080p 24/fps so if you don't have a scaler or your television properly calibrated you'll get jutter! It also passes YcBcR 4:2:2 and I don't know if the Momitsu has that capability. I'm running the hacked 0601 firmwar so I can play any DVD/BD from any region in the wold with an easy remote code. Plays PAL or NTSC if your TV or projector can handle it. This is the most beautiful player I've ever owned and only lacks the built in wireless of the PS3: but I never use BD live anyway. The Oppo is whisper quiet and I have a custom soundproof room and ventilated cabinet that during quiet scenes the PS3 fan would became distracting. I can't recommend this player enough for us cinephiles I ordered direct from Oppo and took about a week to deliver...and ten minutes to set up with its easy navigation.
Old 07-15-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

If this is the proper thread to ask:

I have two important questions about the Oppo BD-83

How does its DVD quality upconversion compare to the Toshiba XA2? I can't see it being a night and day difference, as I own the XA2 and am super impressed by its upconversion ability.

Does the BD-83 eliminate PAL speedup when it plays a PAL title on a 24 fps source? Does ANY player sold do this?? This would be the holy grail for me!!

The region-free hack makes the Oppo very attractive, indeed! Of course, a new hack will need to be written with each new firmware release... This hinders its usefulness.
Old 07-15-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Does the BD-83 eliminate PAL speedup when it plays a PAL title on a 24 fps source? Does ANY player sold do this?? This would be the holy grail for me!!
PAL speedup is "baked in" to the transfer on PAL discs. There are some software-based DVD programs that can artificially slow down the image during computer playback, but no standalone disc players will do that.
Old 07-15-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Of course, a new hack will need to be written with each new firmware release...
This is incorrect!

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 07-15-09 at 05:05 PM. Reason: adjusted the quote
Old 07-15-09, 02:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

well wait, no I'm confused - which should I purchase the Momitsu or the Oppo ??

in a way I'm swaying toward the Oppo since it can play SACD's

help?

Pro-B - what are you watching your other region bluray's on?
Old 07-15-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giles
help?
If SACD and customer service are of utmost importance to you, then go with the Oppo. If they are not, contrary to the popular opinion shared on a number of forums, you should go with the Momitsu. At this point, it is the better of the two players. A second generation Oppo player will probably change that.

(Don't ask for details why, I can't post here).

I have a number of players. Region-B native and Region-Free. Thus far, I've found the SONY 550, Region-B, to be the most impressive one.

Pro-B
Old 07-15-09, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

well wait, no I'm confused - which should I purchase the Momitsu or the Oppo ??

in a way I'm swaying toward the Oppo since it can play SACD's

help?

There are some...oops Region Free Blu-ray players that just hit. Sherwood and I believe a Phillips have players that are identical to the Momitsu just with a different display. Both can be easily hacked to be Region Free (remote code).

Though, in both cases, the player does not internally decode TrueHD/DTS MA...so you have to bitstream or listen to the generic track.

Last edited by Gizmo; 07-15-09 at 05:11 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.