Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-19-13, 10:40 AM   #476
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I don't really have much interest in awards-type stuff...maybe...well, maybe things are lined up fairly well for India to get shortlisted for Best Foreign Language Film at the next Oscars...just a gut feeling...unless India bungles their selection like they usually do. But if they submit THE LUNCHBOX or SHIP OF THESEUS maybe they get shortlisted like LAGAAN did over a decade ago. India will announce their selection in a few days.

Pakistan actually submitted a film to the Oscars...first time in fifty years. The title is ZINDA BHAAG...Naseeruddin Shah is one of the actors.
Old 09-21-13, 08:04 AM   #477
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow...okay, why should I be surprised at this point...but still...wow...India picked the Gujarati-language movie THE GOOD ROAD as their Oscar submission. Now, it did just come out on English-subbed DVD and when I checked the trailer at that time it looked certainly good enough that I put it on my list to purchase in my next order. And I realize that the next leader of India very well might be that Narendra Modi guy from Gujarat, so that likely came in to play. But, in terms of the politics/clout/money/etc. to actually win the Oscar, THE LUNCHBOX - especially with Sony handling it - had a lot working in its favor on the International scene. Again, I don't think too much of these awards things because of all the politics and such involved...they aren't just about merit and such...but if that is the way they are then you have to play that game. And THE LUNCHBOX and SHIP OF THESEUS seemed better positioned to do that on the International stage. Again, THE GOOD ROAD does look pretty good to my eyes...from the trailer...more suitable a selection certainly than other stuff India has submitted these past years...but still...it seems it'll have less breeze in its favor...while the other two selections might've been smoother sailing.
Old 09-21-13, 12:07 PM   #478
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if there will be any talk of trying for an independent submission. I don't recall the rules/requirements for that, but I seem to remember it was discussed back when DHARM was bypassed for submission. DHARM didn't have the resources to make it happen, but maybe this time there is enough in place to make a strong push. Perhaps you spin it as...the voting process was influenced by a shady politician who the U.S. won't even allow into the country.

Note: Yes, the above is a result of too much exposure to the dumb and dirty dealings on SONS OF ANARCHY...I am currently watching Season 5.
Old 09-21-13, 06:35 PM   #479
nitin77

Re: Indian Cinema [PART 4]

so The Lunchbox is good then?

I have been meaning to watch Lootera too, just havent had the time.

And speaking of SoA, worth watching I assume?

Must Watch Films
http://www.imdb.com/list/tRA4ZACG66o/
Old 09-21-13, 09:03 PM   #480
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nitin, haven't seen THE LUNCHBOX yet...the trailer seems solid and it seems to gotten impressive reviews from the festival circuit and places like filmbiz.asia and such. Again, I'm not so much discussing the films on merit...again haven't seen them...but more talking about all the other stuff that (unfortunately) goes into winning awards. THE LUNCHBOX coming from Disney-UTV and with Sony handling the U.S. release, along with positive reviews from Westerns critics/festivals, and now positive Indian reviews, the Oscars maybe being ready for a change of pace as the foreign film category has been Euro-centric lately, and other reasons too...just speculating that the stars might've been aligned for India right now. SHIP OF THESEUS too seemed a suitable candidate.

I'm waiting for the releases of LOOTERA, BHAAG MILKHA BHAAG, and ENEMMY...then I'll be kicking off a twenty-eight film slate of recent North Indian movies...twenty-six Hindi, THE GOOD ROAD (Gujarati), and SHABDO SOUND (Bengali).

With regard to SONS OF ANARCHY...I'd advise against it. I sort of dove into the deep end so it is too late for me. Have you watched THE SHIELD yet? If not, there is absolutely no doubt that you should watch THE SHIELD before SONS OF ANARCHY. I've mentioned somewhere around here that I was love it-hate it with regard to SONS OF ANARCHY...I'm approaching the end of Season 5 and the show is more hate it than love it. I can't even call it a guilty pleasure anymore...it's a dumb show...and I watch it...so yeah I hang my head in shame. What is wrong with it? The characters are complete losers, hypocrites, bullies...there isn't a single likeable character on the show for me...in the sense, well, if every single character ends up dying at the end that'd be supremely fine with me. The fact that there are people who think these characters are cool and macho and such...that is a frightening thought...as far as I'm concerned the male characters are about as poor an excuse for "men" that I can think of. It's a moron show...and again, yes I realize I'm watching it too...but it is a moron show...but I do take some pleasure in the train wreck nature of things. The writing too has major issues...the show feels drawn out...they just seem to keep making up whatever they want to keep the show going since it is (I assume) doing well in the ratings...every time you think the writers will take some sort of stand, they just find a way to cop out and extend things again (aka the end of Season 4). A lot...which I can't mention specifically for spoiler reasons just doesn't make much logical sense...the characters react with extreme violence over some minor issues yet don't react against extreme betrayals from their inner circle.

The show is fast-paced and often does move along quite entertainingly...but it is super dumb. I actually have a big issue with Season 5...one of the early episodes show a mysterious group of individuals doing home invasions, and they show one of the guys has a metal prosthetic ankle, and from things later I expected the mysterious group to be working for a particular individual, but that didn't happen, and when they do identify the mysterious group...it just makes no sense because they just never come back to the prosthetic ankle at all...again like the writers changed their minds with regard to the identity of the person responsible for the break-ins...I don't know maybe things clear up in the next few episodes.
Old 09-23-13, 04:16 AM   #481
nitin77

thanks for that, might skip it for now then. There's too much good tv around for me to invest in shows that I might like (as opposed to trying ones I know I will like to some degree).

Must Watch Films
Old 09-23-13, 04:18 AM   #482
nitin77

also havent tried The Shield yet. Like Homicide, another show I want to watch at some stage, there are too many seasons for me to commit to right now.

Must Watch Films