Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What Russian films are you waiting for on DVD with English subtitles?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Russian films are you waiting for on DVD with English subtitles? There are tons of great Russian films from the 1960s-present, but not too many have English subtitles.
I'm waiting for:
sci-fi comedy classic KIN-DZA-DZA
Old 04-24-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't really contribute much except to say that I've been well satisfied by the classic Russian cinema I have seen...so I'd definitely be interested in the continued release on those sorts of titles.

I will tip my hat to you since I went through a list I maintain to see what I might add to this discussion and I landed upon one title SLUGA GOSUDAREV (2007) aka THE SOVEREIGN'S SERVANT. It was on my list because I once noticed it receiving an un-subbed release. I was going to post that as my wish, but I now see it is available via an English-friendly DVD through the film's official website...pricey though at $34.99 U.S., and maybe not the best quality DVD either.

Here's a link to the site, where you can get a glimpse at a nice-looking trailer (which contains a brief flash of nudity so maybe NSFW), enter the site, click on downloads, then trailer, then try the hi-res Quicktime trailer:

SLUGA GOSUDAREV - official site with trailer
Old 04-24-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually here's one for you toddly since you are a fan of animation - Aleksandr Ptushko's NOVYY GULLIVER (1935) aka THE NEW GULLIVER. It's out on DVD but not English-friendly. Here's a youtube clip that has some footage from the film starting at around the 52 second mark of the clip:

NOVYY GULLIVER footage at youtube
Old 05-07-08, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a few Russian classics I've been waiting for:

Gorod Zero (1988)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095244/

Sampo (1959)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053240/

Cherez ternii k zvyozdam (1981)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0126237/

The latter 2 are available in butchered English-dubbed versions, "The Day The Earth Froze" and "Humanoid Woman", but hopefully Ruscico can eventually get around to releasing the original prints. They've really slowed down their release schedule lately, but it looks like they'll be releasing Kin-Dza-Dza in the not too distant future.