Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Les Vampires (1915) 3DVD

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Les Vampires (1915) 3DVD

Old 12-16-07, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Les Vampires (1915) 3DVD

Courtesy of AE, set to be released on March 24.

Capsule by Jonathan Rosenbaum
From the Chicago Reader

Louis Feuillade's extraordinary ten-part silent serial of 1916, running just under eight hours, is one of the supreme delights of film--an account of the exploits of an all-powerful group of criminals called the Vampire Gang, headed by the infamous Irma Vep (Musidora), whose name is an anagram for "vampire." Filmed mainly in Paris locations, Feuillade's masterpiece combines documentary with fantasy to create a dense world of multiple disguises, secret passageways, poison rings, and evil master plots that assumes an awesome cumulative power: the everyday world of the French bourgeoisie, personified by the hapless sleuth hero, during the height of World War I is imbued with an unseen terror that no amount of virtuous detection can ever efface entirely. (Significantly, as in many of Feuillade's serials prior to Judex, the villains are a good deal more fascinating than the relatively square hero, though a comic undertaker and the leader of a rival gang are periodically on hand to help him out.) One of the most prolific directors who ever lived, Feuillade is arguably a good deal more entertaining than Griffith, and unquestionably much more modern: his mastery of deep-focus mise en scene is astonishing, and its influence on Fritz Lang as well as Luis Buñuel and other surrealists remains one of his major legacies.
Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 12-16-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This sounds interesting - but you've got me confused. A bit. International forum, Chicago newspaper, courtest of AE (AE?). Should I look for this in domestic or european online stores?
Old 12-16-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mammal:

My bad, AE stands for Artificial Eye, so the disc is set to arrive in British shops.

Pro-B
Old 12-16-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmm. I have the flipper, I'm not sure I'll upgrade just yet. It only cost me $7
Old 12-16-07, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. Do we have a price on this?

And yeah, I was confused by AE, too. I guess in the states, we automatically think A&E.
Old 12-16-07, 08:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron G
Cool. Do we have a price on this?
https://www.dvd.co.uk/product.asp?id=ART364DVD
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/35167...s/Product.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Les-Vampires...7859068&sr=8-2
Old 12-17-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pro-B, nothing you do is bad. You're the best resource we have for international things.
Old 12-17-07, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Hmm. I have the flipper, I'm not sure I'll upgrade just yet. It only cost me $7
I was considering getting the flipper disc from Image Entertainment which put theirs out in 2000. Now the Image release has 7 hours of Feuillade's film serial doesn't it, while the upcoming Artificial Eye is only 5 and1/2 hours worth of material, correct? (What's up with that?) I'd be curious as to the difference to bonus material, commentaries, tinting, scoring etc. the UK version presents. (3 discs=Less material?????)
I do have Feuillade's "Fantomas" which was also put out by Artificial Eye.
Old 12-24-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The AE disc apparently contains 4 short films by Feuillade (one of which appeared on the Image edition) and something called "Feuillade at work." I love Les Vampires enough that I'm quite tempted, but I'm not so sure this is going to be worth an upgrade...
Old 01-10-08, 05:45 PM

Fantomas cheap at Amazon.uk

I'm very tempted to order this now that I can watch PAL discs. Have Les Vampires and Judex already.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fant%C3%B4ma...7859068&sr=8-2