Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-07, 12:52 PM   #1
Ron G
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 964
Ridicule - Best Version

I need to pick up a copy of Ridicule, which I want to show to my Brit Lit survey class so they can increase their understanding of the cultural landscape in the 18th century.

I see that the Region 1 version is fullscreen only. Amazon.co.uk has an anamorphic version for 7.97GBP. Can anyone speak to the quality of this transfer? Is there a better one that is English-friendly?

Thanks,

Ron
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 02:17 PM   #2
pro-bassoonist
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Blu-ray.com
Posts: 10,380
Your note above is incorrect. The Miramax R1 disc is not full screen, it is in the proper aspect ratio and of very good quality. The SE French disc is the one to get if you don't need English subtitles otherwise I would recommend that you get the R1-US disc. The R2 is essentially of the same caliber.

Ciao,
Pro-B
__________________
Cahiers du Cinema
Istituto LUCE
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 07:30 PM   #3
Ron G
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Your note above is incorrect. The Miramax R1 disc is not full screen, it is in the proper aspect ratio and of very good quality. The SE French disc is the one to get if you don't need English subtitles otherwise I would recommend that you get the R1-US disc. The R2 is essentially of the same caliber.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Really? DeepDiscount lists it as fullscreen. I was going to buy it there, as the 20% off sale should be soon enough for it to arrive in time to show it in class.

I will need the English subtitles, since most of students don't understand much French.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 01:04 AM   #4
pro-bassoonist
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Blu-ray.com
Posts: 10,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron G
Really? DeepDiscount lists it as fullscreen.
Well, they are wrong...Feel free to ignore what I have written but I stand by my previous post. I pretty much own everything Leconte has done so I won't come in here and play with you

By the way the English subs on the Miramax disc are somewhat problematic as they don't exactly depict what is spoken by the main protagonists. If not fluent in French however a lot of the literary references will simply be a non-issue.

Regardless, as I mentioned above Ridicule is presented in the original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, enhanced for widescreen TVs, progressive, etc.

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
Also, since you are planning to show this to your class keep in mind that the penis-shot is all in tact on the R1 and there are no cuts with this specific scene.
__________________
Cahiers du Cinema
Istituto LUCE

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-04-07 at 01:06 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 10:51 AM   #5
Ron G
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Well, they are wrong...Feel free to ignore what I have written but I stand by my previous post. I pretty much own everything Leconte has done so I won't come in here and play with you

By the way the English subs on the Miramax disc are somewhat problematic as they don't exactly depict what is spoken by the main protagonists. If not fluent in French however a lot of the literary references will simply be a non-issue.

Regardless, as I mentioned above Ridicule is presented in the original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, enhanced for widescreen TVs, progressive, etc.

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
Also, since you are planning to show this to your class keep in mind that the penis-shot is all in tact on the R1 and there are no cuts with this specific scene.
Oh, I trust your word, and I was hoping you'd be one of the people to reply, since you know your foreign films on DVD so well.

Is the Miramax version the only one that's been released to DVD? I just want to be sure DeepDiscount isn't selling some older transfer. If so, I have the film on LD and there are still a couple of classrooms with LD players in them. Whether they actually work is another matter . . .

As for the penis shot, they're college students, so I'm going to assume they can handle seeing a penis.

Are the subs better on the UK version, do you know?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 02:52 PM   #6
pro-bassoonist
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Blu-ray.com
Posts: 10,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron G
Is the Miramax version the only one that's been released to DVD? I just want to be sure DeepDiscount isn't selling some older transfer.
There has been only one release for the US market by Miramax. Hence, it is a certainty that if you order this film from DDD you shall receive the disc I described above.

As to the British disc, they copied the old French disc, which was not that bad. I don't own the disc in my collection anymore but there were indeed some notable differences in the translation. This being said, the newer 2DVD Special Edition in France offers a sightly better version of the film (pic quality) with plenty of extras but I don't believe it will work for you since it is not English-friendly.

Hope this helps,

Pro-B
__________________
Cahiers du Cinema
Istituto LUCE
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.