Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

1960s Tintin live-action films in English available soon on DVD!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be interested to know that the two 1960s Tintin live-action films (The Golden Fleece and The Blue Oranges) are being released by Umbrella Entertainment in Australia on 5th November 2007, allegedly with English & French audio and English subtitles, and anamorphic!

You can pre-order them at http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/796196

As a big Tintin fan, I can definitely recommend The Golden Fleece. I have the anamorphic Swedish DVD, with no English subtitles, but it's still an extremely entertaining movie. It's worth it to see Captain Haddock dancing with some villagers. This movie is like a cross between Jacques Tati and James Bond. I haven't seen The Blue Oranges, but I heard it's not that good. I'm still going to order both.
Old 11-14-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got the two live action Tintin movies in the mail, and I must warn people - the DVD anamorphic video quality sucks ass! It's like a copy of a VHS tape. Excellent English subtitles though and decent French audio.

I'm extra disappointed with the Australian releases because I have the Swedish anamorphic version of Golden Fleece (it doesn't have English subtitles), in which the video quality of this one is pretty good. I think the Swedish versions were remastered from originals. While the Australian ones look like they copied a VHS tape, it's dark, smeary, dirty, grainy, and looks like it's interlaced rather than anamorphic.

I only recommend buying these Australian DVDs if you are a serious Tintin fan like me, because these are pretty funny movies. But if you are a casual or curious fan, stay away from these!

SWEDISH ANAMORPHIC VERSIONS (no English subtitles):
Video: 7.5
Audio: 8
French subtitles: ? (don't know french that well)

AUSTRALIAN ANAMORPHIC VERSIONS (with English subtitles):
Video: 5
Audio: 7
English subtitles: 9

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-14-07 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-14-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I ordered them last week, they should get here any day now. Oh well, I am still looking forward to watch them. Thanks for all your info. It's appreciated.

Dirk
Old 11-14-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dirk, well it's better than nothing! At least they are old movies from the 60s - that's how I rationalize the video quality of these. If these were newer films, it would have been unnacceptable. You know what the video quality reminds me of? They remind me of old Italian anamorphic DVD version of THE HOLY MOUNTAIN that cost a fortune. I wish I never had the Swedish anamorphic version to have been exposed to good quality, especially since there aren't any DVD reviews anywhere online of the Swedish dvds...
Old 11-17-07, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I got the two live action Tintin movies in the mail, and I must warn people - the DVD anamorphic video quality sucks ass! It's like a copy of a VHS tape. Excellent English subtitles though and decent French audio.

I'm extra disappointed with the Australian releases because I have the Swedish anamorphic version of Golden Fleece (it doesn't have English subtitles), in which the video quality of this one is pretty good. I think the Swedish versions were remastered from originals. While the Australian ones look like they copied a VHS tape, it's dark, smeary, dirty, grainy, and looks like it's interlaced rather than anamorphic.
I'm afraid I have to agree with toddly6666 - my copies of both movies arrived this week, and the video is just about the crummiest I've ever seen on DVD - really unsharp, motion smears, poor and inconsistent color, some interlacing artifacts. Quite disappointing.

And while advance word was that these would come with dubbed English soundtracks (although I'm not sure if that was ever actually confirmed by the release company), they are, as he notes, actually French audio with English subtitles.

Nevertheless, as a big Tintin fan, I've always wanted to see these two movies, and since I don't know enough French to understand the words without the subtitles, I'm glad to have a chance to view them with the subtitles, even in such a poor form...

--Scott M.
Old 11-17-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SMCGUIRE, do you know the dvd quality track record of the Australian DVD company that dealt these two Tintin DVDs out?

The Video quality of these dvds are like a copy of a copy of a really out-of-shape VHS tape. I've seen countless better VHS copies of movies than on these DVDS. Very disappointing.
Old 11-24-07, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
SMCGUIRE, do you know the dvd quality track record of the Australian DVD company that dealt these two Tintin DVDs out?
I haven't personally seen another DVD released by Umbrella Entertainment, but the impression I've gotten from other forums is that their stuff is usually well regarded.

They've released box sets of old UK TV shows, such as The Saint and The Prisoner, and the reviews of those that I've read have been quite positive. So based on that, I was expecting better from them for the two Tintin movie releases, but it seems like perhaps their international film division doesn't have the same high standards as the TV division...

--Scott M.