Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

CDWOW: The Return - Discounts, Vouchers, Bargains, & Discussion

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

CDWOW: The Return - Discounts, Vouchers, Bargains, & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koloughlin
I actually remembered your request last night and emailed our DVD buyers to see what the story was.
I heard this morning that we are waiting for suppliers and will then have the MoC section looking healthy again. The sooner the better as I am waiting to run a Masters Of Cinema giveaway for you guys. I'm sure you won't argue with the chance to win a few free titles!
I'm waiting for an updated list of our BFI titles and I'll post this here when I get it.
I'll check out the situation with Tartan titles now and let you know.
Fantastic news, Kevin. (This and the release of "In Rainbows" have made me one happy camper, media-wise, for the past 36 hours.)

I'd also vote for Second Run, and I believe you guys did carry at least a couple of their titles at one time. I don't seem to remember ever getting any Artificial Eye releases from CD-Wow!, but they'd be welcome, too. Optimum's burgeoning catalogue is worth keeping up with, too. As a matter of fact, one of my happiest purchases in the past 12 months was Optimum's 8-disc Bunuel set, which I got from you guys.
Old 10-11-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey Brent,
I was just about to email you to see if you had heard from our customer service team. Delighted to see they got back to you so quickly.
Also great to hear CD WOW! are being so generous... makes me wonder if the powers that be are familiar with the phrase 'holiday bonus'!
Cheers, Kevin
I e-mailed them about the exact same problem requesting the correct version in lieu of a refund. "Michelle" has assured me that she e-mailed the DVD department to find out what is going on but I haven't heard any news since Tuesday. I'm thinking I may go for the refund at this point, too bad because that Scanners disc was high on my want list and I'm pretty disappointed.
Old 10-11-07, 09:41 PM

Thanks to Kevin for inviting our opinions, and welcome back to a revamped CD WOW. I second the suggestions of BFI and Madmen Region 4, and would love to see more R3 releases from Korea and Japan. Japanese DVD's with English subtitles are often prohibitively expensive from other retailers. It would also be great to find options for otherwise-expensive imports such as the upcoming Angelopoulos DVD's from Greece and Frank Borzage from Germany.
Old 10-11-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
My DVD arrived today. Gotta give the renewed CDWow a big .
Old 10-11-07, 11:50 PM

Location: on my couch watching dvds of course .. where else ???
i ordered a couple of dvds but they have yet to be despatched after 2 days

but they customer service is not that bad as they answered a couple of my queries very quickly and politely.
Old 10-12-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2 buck voucher doesnt work
Old 10-12-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love an easier way to browse your International Films from other regions. I'm sure you have titles I would be interested in - but they are hard to find.

When I filter by R2 - I get mostly the R2 version of American blockbusters.

It would also be nice to search by actors or directors.
Old 10-12-07, 01:48 PM

CD-Wow has Five Elements Ninjas up for pre-order!
Old 10-12-07, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by pjflyer
I would love an easier way to browse your International Films from other regions. I'm sure you have titles I would be interested in - but they are hard to find.

When I filter by R2 - I get mostly the R2 version of American blockbusters.

It would also be nice to search by actors or directors.
In the same vein, I would like to see "R3" added to the "Region Filter" pull-down menu in the Bargain Basement listing.
Old 10-12-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Well, I received 4 of my 6 ordered DVDs today. All are fine, except the expected incorrect version of Scanners. I've e-mailed their support about it.

The other 2 outstanding are Borat, and The Wind That Shakes The Barley, which was last listed as delayed until Oct. 8th, so maybe it's on the way. No biggie, anyway. As long as I'm kept informed, and it doesn't take 6 months.
Old 10-12-07, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cine
In the same vein, I would like to see "R3" added to the "Region Filter" pull-down menu in the Bargain Basement listing.
Thanks for the suggestion cine.

There's a list of things that our IT guys are working their way through... but feel free to make suggestions like this one and I'll see what we can do.
Not promising they'll be done instantly (we're a pretty small company) but all suggestions will be taken on board.
Old 10-12-07, 05:15 PM
Banned

Thanks to everyone who suggested particular collections and categories for us to stock.
I think this list covers everything so far, but feel free to continue adding to it.
I'm sure our buyers will be delighted to hear your thoughts... I'll post here when we have further info for you.

BFI
MoC
Second Run
Soda Pictures
Madman's Directors Suite Collection
Artificial Eye
Optimum
Angelopoulos DVD's from Greece
Frank Borzage from Germany

and more R3 releases from Korea and Japan.
Old 10-12-07, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brent L
Kevin, how about some new titles for the "Bargain Basement"?
I'll do my best Brent!
There are plenty of titles scattered throughout the site priced lower than many of the Bargain Basement titles... but I'm working on getting this section updated at least every couple of weeks.

In the meantime; check out the CD WOW! Blog and follow the link to a disounted CD WOW! site - all items reduced by $2.
Old 10-12-07, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion cine.

There's a list of things that our IT guys are working their way through... but feel free to make suggestions like this one and I'll see what we can do.
Not promising they'll be done instantly (we're a pretty small company) but all suggestions will be taken on board.
Also, it would be nice for those of us who shop at cd-wow.us to be able to check our order status on this site rather than having to go and log onto cd-wow.com for it.
Old 10-12-07, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cine
Also, it would be nice for those of us who shop at cd-wow.us to be able to check our order status on this site rather than having to go and log onto cd-wow.com for it.
That's one of the most important tech issues we're working on at the moment. Almost as important as getting that search engine working 100%

Go Sox!
Old 10-12-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's one of the most important tech issues we're working on at the moment. Almost as important as getting that search engine working 100%

Go Sox!
Yeah, there are some strange search engine features. As an example, searching for 'Still Game' for the Scottish comedy series brings up Girls Gone Wild: Doggy Style. It doesn't have the words 'still' or 'game' anywhere in the title or description. Possibly there are hidden keywords that aren't correct?

Also, another search, like "IT Crowd", just doesn't hit, even though it's an exact title. I know it's available because clicking on the Region 2 link brings up IT Crowd Series 2 as one of the featured titles.

You probably are aware of these issues, but I wanted to be sure as not finding what you want obviously limits the ability to make purchases.
Old 10-13-07, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I´m happy that CDWOW are getting back to what is known for. Low prices and fast shipping. Still, there is work to be done.

More Region 3 titles.
More International titles.
Better Seach Engine.
More titles in the "Bargain Basement" - older titles.
More cracking prices of "This Weeks Specials" - should be a handfull special selected titles at a very, very good price.

...and most importantly: No delay mails.

If CDWOW can do this they will be the worlds best online retailer.
Old 10-13-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to see Bellissima and Silence in stock. CD-wow had the best prices for Masters of Cinema and I'll continue buying from them if they bring in the new releases.
Old 10-13-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin, how about some sort of feature so that we could sort all of the DVDs on the site by price - highest to lowest or lowest to highest?
Old 10-14-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sent an email to CD WOW about the Scanners issue, and they told me to keep the DVD they sent me to "keep or dispose of the item", and they sent me two new e-voucher codes.

This is indeed the CD WOW we all used to know and love.
I received a request to return the DVD to the UK and they would credit me for the DVD cost and send me an e-voucher to cover the postage cost. Hmmm... for a $5 DVD I'm supposed to package it up, go to the post office and send it to the UK. That's hardly worth my time. It'll probably cost more to return it than it did to buy it. Actually, I just checked and it costs $7.60 to send it back.

This is NOT the CD Wow I used to know and love.

Last edited by andicus; 10-14-07 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-14-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
I received a request to return the DVD to the UK and they would credit me for the DVD cost and send me an e-voucher to cover the postage cost. Hmmm... for a $5 DVD I'm supposed to package it up, go to the post office and send it to the UK. That's hardly worth my time. It'll probably cost more to return it than it did to buy it. Actually, I just checked and it costs $7.60 to send it back.

I'm in the same situation. I'm not sure what other reasonable outcome there would be or should be, but it does seem strange to return the thing at this point.
Old 10-14-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you send them an email through the site using the form? I first emailed them about the Scanners DVD using that method, and as expected, they told me exactly what they told you. From my experience, 9 out of 10 times when you contact CDWOW using the actual form on the site, they'll respond in a manner which will not make you happy - I take it that they just respond to inquiries made through the site with form letters, just to save time.

In order to really get help, you need to personally email one of the people that work there, such as Kevin that's been posting in this thread. It's been that way for me almost since I first started buying at CDWOW, and that's been years ago.

Try one of the following:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

EDIT:

For what it's worth, Kim is the CDWOW CSR that told me to keep or destroy the DVD and that they would send me e-vouchers to make up for the problem, and Samantha is the CDWOW CSR that actually emailed the e-vouchers to me. Both of the emails came from [email protected] as well. I'm not sure if those bits of info helps you guys, but there you go.

Last edited by Brent L; 10-14-07 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 07:02 AM

Did you send them an email through the site using the form? I first emailed them about the Scanners DVD using that method, and as expected, they told me exactly what they told you. From my experience, 9 out of 10 times when you contact CDWOW using the actual form on the site, they'll respond in a manner which will not make you happy - I take it that they just respond to inquiries made through the site with form letters, just to save time.

In order to really get help, you need to personally email one of the people that work there, such as Kevin that's been posting in this thread. It's been that way for me almost since I first started buying at CDWOW, and that's been years ago.

Try one of the following:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

EDIT:

For what it's worth, Kim is the CDWOW CSR that told me to keep or destroy the DVD and that they would send me e-vouchers to make up for the problem, and Samantha is the CDWOW CSR that actually emailed the e-vouchers to me. Both of the emails came from [email protected] as well. I'm not sure if those bits of info helps you guys, but there you go.
I got the same "we don't give refunds unless you return the discs" spiel, even after mentioning that I know of someone else who didn't have to go through all the trouble. I'm just going to eat this one, but I am NOT happy. This is the second time I've received the wrong item.
Old 10-15-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 8-Disc Die Hard 4 movie collection recently released in Region 3 does not show up on cdwow. Will you be carrying it any time soon?
Old 10-15-07, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by andicus

Actually I had this happened with the CDWow "we used to know and love". In many cases it's hard to imagine the cost of the DVD involved is worth its return shipping cost and the e-voucher value; it seems that this practice is meant to be a deterrence measure against potential abuse.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.