Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kurtlar Vadisi Irak / Valley Of The Wolves Iraq (TURKEY)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-23-06, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Note - I am only posting the info so any unneeded comments will probably force the moderators to close the thread

Official Film Site:
http://www.valleyofthewolvesiraq.com/

Via Tulumba:

A record breaker on Turkish TV for three seasons and now a phenomenon, “Valley of the Wolves” is now preparing to shake the world with the movie…The story begins with a true story: “The Hood Event”… On 2003, the 4th of July, allied American forces come to the unofficial, half-secret Turkish headquarters consisting of eleven people. The Turkish soldiers suppose that this an ordinary visit from their allies. But this time it is different. In the changing conjuncture, America wants to be the only power “calling the shots”. To them, there is no place for Turks in the region any more…That day, eleven soldiers are deported with hoods on their heads with no respect to their soldiership dignity and in front of the region’s people…It’s all truth up to this point in the movie…

In the story based on facts, Suleyman Aslan is one of those eleven soldiers. As first lieutenant, Suleyman, can’t reconcile being insulted and surrendering with his honor. Therefore, he commits suicide and leaves a letter behind. The letter is addressed to Polat Alemdar… Polat Alemdar is a very specially trained Turkish intelligence agent. He has attended several missions in the country and abroad for a secret agency working for the state… Because of his last mission, he has no contact with the secret agency… Living by his missions, Polat Alemdar can’t ignore the will of his friend who committed suicide for the sake of his duty. He is in Northern Iraq with his men now. To die for, if needed…They found a different situation than they expected in Northern Iraq. They were after the man who insulted the Turkish soldiers but they couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw the situation there. The people of Iraq’s values, personalities and history were completely being disregarded. The desired new order was forcing an unacceptable change on the people… The one who is responsible for these unendurable crimes against humanity is a special forces commander called Sam William Marshall and who was also responsible for the hood event.In order to carry out his plan, Sam W. Marshall raids the Arabian wedding where everyone from the region comes together. He kills tens of people. All are civilians. Leila, the bride of the wedding, loses her future groom in the killings. Apart from the people who were murdered there, also a lot of people are declared terrorists and arrested.

Destiny shall intersect the paths of Polat and Leyla later fort he sake of the objective that both had ventured to die for… Sam William Marshall is now being chased by all of his sins, Polat and Leyla… You will not forget the movie “Valley of the Wolves – Iraq” adorned with incredible action scenes and heartbreaking stories of humanity…

DVD Specs:
Available Audio Tracks:
Turkish DD 5.1, Turkish DD 2.0
Turkish, English, Arabic, Kurdish, DD 5.1
Turkish, English, Arabic, Kurdish DD 2.0
PAL/R2
Subtitles: German, Turkish, English
Run Time:120', 1 DVD

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-23-06 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-23-06, 07:15 AM

I've actually wanted to see the tv show/series for a while. Any idea if they plan on releasing that on DVD? In regards to the film, I didn't see a release date unless I missed something, nor a country of orgin (in regards to the DVD). I made an assumption it was a German disc, but didn't see this on Amazon.de. Any idea where/when I can buy this?
Old 05-23-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

splatti. you can get it (pre-order) at Tulumba.com also, the tv series is there as well but I'm pretty sure is only VCD. Can't remember if it has english subs.
Old 05-23-06, 09:39 AM

"Some man are born to be heroes".......
Old 05-23-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

most informative post... .EVER!
Old 05-23-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

anamorphic??

These turkish DVD sites are good with listing audio and subtitle info, but haven't caught on yet to video info...
Old 05-26-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The disc is most definitely 16/9.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 06-06-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like this is now available and ready to ship, anyone order it yet?
Old 06-06-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no. but I really want to along with d@bbe. maybe next week when I get paid. anyone know if Kebab connection has english subs? (they are not listed on the site)
Old 06-06-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Buddha:

The German disc is most definitely not English-friendly but there is a R1 release coming up this Fall.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 06-07-06, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just browsing through some of the English-subbed DVD's offered by Tulumba.com....anyone familiar with:

Umut aka Hope (1970) at IMDb
Suru aka The Herd (1978) at IMDb
Tabutta Rovasata aka Somersault in a Coffin (1996) at IMDb
Old 06-07-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just about all of Yilmaz Güney's films are worth a look (esp. the ones he directed) the Cannes Palm d'Or winner Yol in particular is excellent. Unfortunately the Turkish DVD's are the only English-friendly versions of his work so far and they are not of the best possible quality. Still I highly recommend that you take a look at Yol.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 06-07-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you have to order the Sci-Fi comedy G.O.R.A...It's an excellent 2-disc DVD. It has excellent english subtitles and is the only Turkish DVD that exists to test out one's home theater! It's funny and has great special effects...

Check out the trailer at:
http://www.moviemaze.de/media/trailer/1491/g-o-r-a.html
Old 06-07-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks (yet again) Pro-B for the recommendation. Lots of interesting films...I went from asking about "Valley of the Wolves" simply out of curiousity, to now, where I'm planning two separate small orders over the next month.

toddly6666, wow....awesome recommendation! "The Fifth Element"-inspired poster art and a trailer that reveals a Turkish "Spaceballs" with clear references to "Star Wars" and "The Matrix". Looks like an absolute ton of fun! From the trailer, I'm really surprised this film didn't make a bigger splash amongst the Internet film community (unless I somehow missed it).
Old 06-23-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well...I watched this a few days ago. You know...it was much better than I had expected (I did not have high expectations). Yes, at times, especially in the first half it does play a lot like those 1980s American B-grade action films, but to its credit I didn't feel that it had the sweeping condemnation of America that those 1980s-type films might have had about Muslims. Actually, I think the whole anti-American/anti-semite controversy is basically everyone getting their "panties-in-a-bunch" over nothing. Frankly, Gary Busey's subplot (which some see as anti-semitic) is rather small and could (should) easily have been left out of the film. The anti-American part.....well, in war bad things happen and I doubt you will find any war where regrettable acts were not committed by all sides involved. If this film chose to point out that the U.S. is not perfect then so be it.

The American bad guys in this film never came across to me as more than a rogue band anyway (in one instance even doing harm to a U.S. soldier)....and Billy Zane's (the main CIA baddie) gang of goons weren't more than D-grade Rambo clones. The film, perhaps to its credit and to highlight that it really is primarily an action entertainer, certainly went over-the-top with its potrayal of Zane's thugs. At the same time, I think that decision (whether intentional or not) helped me to not take great offense at its supposed critique of America. In some way, the film is more about personal vengeance, sort of like an American Western where Wyatt Earp goes after a gang of baddies. To assault the film as some grand high-brow critique of the U.S. seems rather unjust.

On its behalf, the film is not without some depth, especially in the second half. And there are even moments of high caliber, artistic, technically skilled filmmaking, as well as solid acting performances turned in by most of the leads. One short scene with perhaps 15 men performing some form of religious chant is particularly exquisite. It is shot mainly from above as the men step round in circle while chanting....it is a great scene. If you get beyond all the commercial action elements and the characters involved in that portion, there is another character....a religious leader, and this character, if you open your eyes, is truly the backbone of the film.....he forms the moral compass and gives the film true depth so it isn't just some hateful action thriller about violence and vengeance being a solution to the larger problem at hand in the Middle East. The film, when it takes a timeout from the action elements, also shows the complexity of the situation in the area...Arabs, Kurds, Turks, all with valid needs that require satisfaction. I wish I could write more clearly on this but if I don't share my thoughts immediately after watching a film then I start to get things mixed up (especially having watched "Syriana", "The Tiger and the Snow", "Zozo", etc.).

While it is certainly a different style film, I wouldn't hesitate to include it in the same discussion as a number of other recent films such as "Munich", "Paradise Now", "The War Within", "Private" and a few others I know I'm forgetting. I'm not claiming it's as exceptional as those films....because there are a lot of B-movie elements....but it is far more deserving and commendable than I had expected. I purchased it only out of curiousity (and because I was ordering other things anyway) and early on in the film I kind of had buyer's regret....but ultimately I am actually quite pleased to have it as part of my collection....it is quite an entertaining film yet not without a message either. I'm not stating it is a balanced assessment of the conflict but it seemingly plays more fair and more enlightened than similar style films from our side which in the past have demonized Arabs, Communists, etc. (though, in fairness, I don't recall many, if any, of such nature in the past many number of years).

Just one note to those who might give it a view, make sure you select the English audio track. I had a brain-lock and chose the Turkish track but actually in this film you want the English track. The Turkish track has everyone dubbed into what I assume is Turkish, but the English track is better with subtitles when appropriate and English also when appropriate...it also highlights the differences in language as I believe the film also contains Kurdish, Turkish, Arabic.
Old 06-23-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for your comments on the film. I'm sure many people were getting upset over nothing (espcially that Joe Scarborough from MSNBC) I will eventually pick this up with dabbe sp?. I see you picked up Zozo, how did you like it?
Old 06-23-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I remember watching that MSNBC "news debate" between Kaiju Shakedown's Grady Hendrix and some other fellow. The best part was Grady's column the following day giving you a little behind the scenes look at how disingenuous the whole thing is. Honestly, most of these "news" shows are far less credible to me than even someone like Howard Stern. The unfortunate part is you know that there are viewers out there who actually buy into it. If it weren't for live sports, TCM, and Rebelde (just kidding about the last one), I'd dump my cable entirely.

I liked "Zozo" a lot; I especially liked the sort of fantasy elements that helped distinguish it from other maybe similar films. That element was surprisingly effective. A very likeable performance from the young actor and I liked the end and the film's ultimate message. I knew I could trust your suggestion. I had meant to write about it but didn't get the chance and like I mentioned since I've watched a bunch of movies lately so everything starts to meld together if I don't post my comments right away (and as I tend to ramble on that sometimes becomes time-consuming). Actually, even though I didn't, I wish I would have posted about stuff like the Russian movies, Peacock, Tiger and the Snow, Daiteiden no Yoru ni, Syriana, etc. It's been a pretty darned good month for me as far as movie watching. That reminds me....

Yikes! I think I just missed my window for the Mongolian BBQ I had planned for brunch, I'd better just grab a quick bite and head out ASAP to catch Krrish.
Old 06-23-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666

you have to order the Sci-Fi comedy G.O.R.A...It's an excellent 2-disc DVD. It has excellent english subtitles and is the only Turkish DVD that exists to test out one's home theater! It's funny and has great special effects...

Check out the trailer at:
http://www.moviemaze.de/media/trailer/1491/g-o-r-a.html
I purchased this from Amazon Germany back when it first came out and I
have a question if you have it as well. Is this disc authored wrong? I have 2
dvd players (a Sony and a newer Cyberhome) that will not play this in the
correct aspect ratio, only an older Cyberhome will play it correctly. Very
strange.
Old 06-23-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the excellent Turkish DVD of GORA that plays fine on my Malata Multi-region dvd player.... I haven't heard anything about this german dvd..sorry!
Old 06-25-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CDWORLDX: you can buy the excellent 2-disc official PAL DVD of G.O.R.A. at tulumba.com:

http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=VI270062WI579
Old 06-25-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very, very strange....what happened to [that person who posted the ebay link] post? Also, I posted a reply to him and I saw it posted in the thread....now it too is gone. I most certainly did not delete my response. Okay, I get it now, I'm a naive idiot and I didn't realize it just might have been a spam post promoting his own ebay auction.

Last edited by flixtime; 06-25-06 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-25-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

or maybe that ebay post was for a bootleg dvd?
Old 07-01-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got a copy of the R2 DVD new off of Ebay. Other review covers it rather nicely here. Like Billy Zane said in the half hour extra "Making of" extra, the film is like a cowboys and Indians western, but with the bad guys and good guys reversed. I was kind of thinking back to the war movies I watched as a kid of WWII and how the German Nazis were always very bad guys, which helped me form distorted images of Germans as a little kid (even though I am of German ancestry).

There were a few "good" Americans that tried to put conscience into the main American characters, but all of the main American characters were pretty much bad guys in it, and those Americans that tried to be good seemed to run the risk of getting shot in trying to do so.

A lot of Americans might get angry at this film, but I found myself mostly saddened by the realization that this was one film that was slanted against Americans but had the ring of truth to it, which I'm ashamed for.

I won't champion this as something to widely invite many friends to for a house party as it is a sobering movie, but I think it is one that introspective Americans should seek to get to get a feeling of how those outside this country feel about our actions today, which is hard to get through what we see and hear in this country now.

You could contrast the theme of most if not all Americans being "bad guys" in this film with Midnight Express, which depicted most of the Turks in that film as bad people too, though you weren't exposed to many other aspects of Turkish culture other than the prison Billy Hayes was in. I lived in Turkey about the time that Midnight Express was supposed to have taken place, and there's a lot of nicer things and people in Turkey than what was depicted in it, though the film I have to admit was a very good one about what is probably a very real dark side of that country, much like parts of Iraq are our dark side. I recall a number of friends that were in the American DOD school I was in being rushed out of the country overnight after getting caught with drugs, as people knew that was a part of Turkish justice you didn't want to mess with there.

I also got a copy of Gelibolu (Gallipoli), which is another Turkish made documentary film with English soundtrack narrated by Jeremy Irons, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Additionally got a copy of a Turkish film on Ephesus too.

Last edited by DVDealer; 07-01-06 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw VALLEY OF WOLVES IRAQ too. It's basically a Hollywood-style movie action B-movie with a good preachy political story only that the Americans are the bad guy (it's about time, we need more movies like this). It's sort of preachy in the same way that THE MATRIX or CRASH was, but in a good way, not in an annoying way. This movie not only covers the evil political themes of USA/ENGLAND/ISRAEL in the Middle East, but it also covers the evil themes of islamic extremism/suicide bombing.
If you appreciate movies such as MUNICH, PARADISE NOW, THREE KINGS, DIVINE INTERVENTION, you may like this movie.

The Turkish actors are a whole lot better than Billy Zane and Gary Busy. Those two threw off the movie actually. It would have been better if they had used better or unknown western actors. But then again, it seems that TITANIC was popular everywhere in the world, even in Afghanistan, so maybe it was an amusing and wise choice to choose Billy Zane as the villain again.

If you get insulted by watching the movie, well know you know how muslims may feel when watching a movie like TRUE LIES with some stereotypical muslim terrorists. In VALLEY OF WOLVES, the meat-head Rambo Americans are stereotyped at the same level that muslims have been stereotyped in Western movies.

It's a movie worth seeing to see the controversial acts that the West has done in the Middle East. If people like seeing dramatizations of 9/11, well, watch VALLEY OF WOLVES IRAQ and see true American brutality of US soldiers taking out innocent people at a wedding, humiliating innocent prisoners, or kicking old people out of their homes. The movie should question one's own patriotism to USA, unless you are in denial about these actual acts happening in the Middle East.
Old 07-04-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It also is timely to watch it on the 4th...

... for those that are feeling that they can't really celebrate the fourth today because of what our country is doing overseas, this film also is predicated on an event that actually took place exactly 3 years ago today on July 4th where Turks in northern Iraq were hauled off to the Turkish border in hoods. Kind of puts a different meaning to the 4th of July.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.