Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HMV UK - International Order changes (for the worse)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-20-05, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HMV UK - INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING CHANGES

In line with our move to Guernsey, the following changes to our service have now taken place:

o Free UK Standard Delivery

o Per item postage charge for Overseas Mail, UK and Overseas courier

o All items displayed on the HMV web site are exclusive of VAT

o Each item on your order will be charged and shipped separately, which means you will be getting our items delivered to you quickly!
This now means :

- VAT WILL NOT BE REMOVED for non-UK purchases
- and it now costs 3.75 Pds per ITEM - this is TOO EXPENSIVE !!!

I find this policy quiet annoying - as HMV UK is a great source for CD Singles.

The 'only' benefit is now for boxsets (though their prices are still too high !!)

I hope that HMV UK review their international shipping price structures - as they'll loose a lot of Australian purchasers.
Old 10-20-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 718 Posts
Doesn't it mean that the prices won't include VAT? I would take that to mean that their prices will now be 17% cheaper (IIRC).
Old 10-20-05, 02:38 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

do a dummy order, and go to the last page before confiming-and that should show the VAT subtraction-just as Amazon does
Old 10-20-05, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Seashellz
do a dummy order, and go to the last page before confiming-and that should show the VAT subtraction-just as Amazon does
Errr - NO !!!!

As stated in the original post - NO VAT REMOVAL anymore for NON-UK Purchasers.

As for prices falling 17.5% - Hardly - they are still very expensive !!!!! It appears as NOTHING HAS COME OF THE PRICES in any case (so much for VAT EXCLUSIVE. This is what you get from moving operations offshore).

You now get charged PER ITEM for shipping - which is 3.75pds. For us Aussies - that's close to $A9.40 PER ITEM. OUTRAGEOUS - especially for the lousy packaging that they have provide. More is your items cost less than the shipping price.

Incentives to buy at HMV.CO.UK anymore ?????? NONE !!!!

Last edited by tonyjg; 10-20-05 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"All items displayed on the HMV web site are exclusive of VAT" from the original post implies that there is no VAT included in the prices. If the prices have stayed the same, that's more expensive because there's nothing to remove.

Shipping of £3.75 per item is insane. If so, I won't buy anything else there. Eek.
Old 10-21-05, 05:50 PM

I looked at the shipping costs for 6 regular DVD's and they were charging about $40 for Air Mail or $200 for Express Mail!

They have either gone insane, or there is something wrong with their new system.

One thing is for sure, they're going to lose a ton of international business.
Old 10-21-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No doubt. That's nuts.
Old 10-21-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever since I went region-free two years ago, they have been one of my primary sources for UK titles.

It was great while it lasted ....
Old 10-22-05, 08:07 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that the HMV service is aimed primarily at Brits [and maybe continental Europeans]. Siting it in Guernsey means that the prices will be lower for the target market. A lot of e-tailers catering to Brits are setting up operations in Guernsey/Jersey.

Presumably the international market was not sufficiently lucrative for them to be worried about losing it.
Old 10-22-05, 11:43 AM

Presumably the international market was not sufficiently lucrative for them to be worried about losing it.
I can understand that, if that's the case, but there is no need for them to inflate the shipping costs to the point of absurdity.

It makes no sense to offer international sales, and then bump up the shipping so that no one in their right mind would buy there. If that is their goal, what's the point of shipping internationally at all?
Old 10-22-05, 01:13 PM

Although Benedict already hinted at it, the 3.75 postage fee only applies to shipping outside of Europe ... if you're within continental Europe, postage is 1.75/item. Still not too cheap, esp. with play.com shipping free of charge to continental Europe.
Old 10-25-05, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by benedict
I believe that the HMV service is aimed primarily at Brits [and maybe continental Europeans]. Siting it in Guernsey means that the prices will be lower for the target market. A lot of e-tailers catering to Brits are setting up operations in Guernsey/Jersey.

Thats like saying Amazon.com. is only for the US residents.

The FACT is HMV UK online prices have not fallen - especially if the VAT is to be taken out (17.5%).

Oh well - like a few other 'canadian' DVD stores that ruined it customer relations - HMV UK may find the same loss of international business.