Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Layer Cake Defective DVD?'s

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-12-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I have 2 copies of Layer Cake one from Amazon UK the other from CDnow. I didn't return the Amazon UK one because shipping would have been about almost more than I paid. So I ordered one from CDnow which came today. The same thing happens with each one. I press play it goes to the Columbia logo then to a warning about copying etc... then back the the menu. I have a Jaton PSD 7611K and in my computer DVD rom.

Anyone have this problem? Or it there a way around this??

Thanks
Old 08-12-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its probably your player as my cyberhome does the same thing with some Fox dvds where it gets stuck on the "these commentaries do not reflect.... blah blah" screen. Have you tried on another player or on a PC?
Old 08-12-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes I tried it in my computer DVD rom also. The same thing happens...
Old 08-12-05, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha, there was a thread some time ago about this title (I can't remember which forum).

The upshot is that the title is problematic with a number of players. Someone back then provided a link to a new form of copy protection that apparently was on the disc.

I have a Malata 996 and several hundred non-R1 discs. This is the only disc I haven't been able to play. Its a real shame, as the upcoming R1 looks like it might cram all the material from the UK 2-disc set onto one disc, which might produce some nasty side-effects.
Old 08-13-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...

OK, I contacted Amazon UK and CDnow, they are going to replace the DVD's... they sent them out before I could test it on my kids DVD player. I got my kids a Phillips DVP642 and it works like a charm on there, only problem with that one is it has some issues with my widescreen TV.

Now what to do with the 3 extra copies??? If anyone is interested in a trade etc... let me know.
Old 08-13-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Wow...

OK, I contacted Amazon UK and CDnow, they are going to replace the DVD's... they sent them out before I could test it on my kids DVD player. I got my kids a Phillips DVP642 and it works like a charm on there, only problem with that one is it has some issues with my widescreen TV.

Now what to do with the 3 extra copies??? If anyone is interested in a trade etc... let me know.
ygm
Old 08-15-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The same problem happened with my MALATA dvd player...I couldn't play the movie, even jumping to different scenes, it would still go to that warning page and then back to the menu...I was able to watch the Extras disc at least...
Old 08-20-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just as a note, the DVD does not work on my Malata DVP-520 (first I have ever seen!). It does however play fine on my Phillips DVP642.
Old 08-20-05, 03:26 PM

Same here, works perfect on my Phillips DVP642