Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Die Nibelungen--Der Fluch des Drachen

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-29-05, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a German TV movie based upon Das Nibelungenlied, the German national epic that inspired both Wagner's operas as well as writers as diverse as J. R. R. Tolkien and Robert E. Howard. It stars Julian Sands, Alicia Witt, Max von Sydow, and others, and is out on DVD in Germany with both English and German Dolby 5.1 soundtracks as well as subtitles. I see that it is available from Amazon.de, but they tend to take forever and a day; can anyone recommend a quicker source for this title? I'm a great admirer of both the original poem, Wagner's operas, and Fritz Lang's silent epic "Die Nibelungen," so this is a must-have for me! (There is also a version from the 1960s, by Harald Reinl, that doesn't appear to be on DVD yet.) Thanks (or should I say Danke Schoen?)
Old 06-29-05, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Reinl version from 1966 seems to be out on DVD already. Unfortunately it seems to be of very bad quality and is OOP.

Bitte schön.
Old 06-29-05, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frenzy
The Reinl version from 1966 seems to be out on DVD already. Unfortunately it seems to be of very bad quality and is OOP.

Bitte schön.
I saw that after I did my initial posting, even found a couple of copies on eBay.de. It looks as if it is a remake of Fritz Lang's silent version, but Reinl is hardly in the same league. If anyone has seen the Reinl version, could you perhaps give us a brief critique? It is in German only, no subtitles, but I do speak fairly decent German.
Looking over previous threads, it definitely seems as if we need to find a reliable German e-tailer, for a host of reasons!
Old 06-29-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=Scott Connors]
I see that it is available from Amazon.de, but they tend to take forever and a day; can anyone recommend a quicker source for this title?

I'm in Boston and my copy shipped within 24 hours and arrived within
7 days of placing the order at Amazon.de (ordered that and the new
Until The End Of The World set) using the cheapest mailing method.
Old 06-29-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Scott Connors
Looking over previous threads, it definitely seems as if we need to find a reliable German e-tailer, for a host of reasons!
Don't blame the German shops, blame the Deutsche Post. The have the exclusive right to carry letters and so the rule the prices. One DVD to the US is 8.00 Euro!
Old 06-29-05, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Frenzy
Don't blame the German shops, blame the Deutsche Post. The have the exclusive right to carry letters and so the rule the prices. One DVD to the US is 8.00 Euro!
Does that include packages as well? The US Postal Service likewise has a monopoly on first class mail, but as far as packages are concerned, a thousand flowers have blossomed (along with a few weeds, of course). But by the same token, most packages from the States overseas also go by USPS, and while the price is cheaper, it isn't that much cheaper. I know that I spent almost $15 sending a book to the UK.
Anyway, my complaint, if you can call it that, is not so much with the cost as it is with the long time it takes to get stuff from Amazon.de, which
Brooklyn indicates may not be so long anymore. I get packages frequently from the UK, France, Italy, Sweden, and Denmark fairly often, but have trouble getting them from Germany--which is a shame, because I studied there and love the country second only to the USA.
Old 06-29-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Scott Connors
Does that include packages as well?
Nope, but other organizations like UPS aren't cheap, too. BTW the monopol will end at the year 2008.