Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone ever buy from ThaiCDexpress.com?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-12-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking around for some movies that ethaicd.com doesn't have and came across this site. Is it legit? Are they boots? There's nothing i hate more than boots. I ask because prices are on average half of what ethai.com charges although they include shipping. so what's the verdict? thanks.
Old 03-14-05, 01:00 PM

I've bought a few Thai film DVDs from ThaiCDexpress and they were not boots. I really don't think that the non-Thai films are boots either.

I use ethaicd more often because I find the site more user friendly (i.e., cleaner look and more film descriptions in english) and it's nice knowing the total price of a DVD right off the bat. I think that the prices come out about the same once you calculate shipping, although ThaiCDexpress will probably win out on price if you order several DVDs at the same time.
Old 03-14-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks rampo. I ordered from them, we'll see how it works out. It's a little harder, especially since there is no way to see your order or anything like that. I bought 8dvds one being 9.99 and it came out to 60.91 including fed-ex shipping which was 21.99 i believe. UPS was $2 cheaper but fed ex is closer to me. that compared to 7 out of the 8 at ethaicd.com came out to $80+ with the free fed ex.
Old 03-15-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for this thread. Could you update when your order arrives?

I'm tempted to order now, but right now I'm paranoid about not receiving an order from PlanetDVD.com.au. Like ThaiCDExpress.com, there's no way to check the order status and they haven't replied to my one email... If PlanetDVD works out for the best or you receive your order, I may take the plunge with ThaiCDExpress.

Question: if I do order from ThaiCDExpress, I was thinking about AirMail instead of UPS or FedEx. Will I encounter severe delays? I'm a cheapskate and would rather only spend $14.50 for shipping five DVDs.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't worry about Planetdvd.com.au, I never had a problem with them.
Old 03-15-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVDdude. I try to use airmail as little as possible mostly because i don't trust my local post office. but the way i see it, I would spend $5 more and get it in 3 days via ups or Fedex rather than have to wait anywhere between a week and a month. that's just me though. I'll respond as soon as a hear anything or receive my order. is everything is/was in stock i should have it by the end of the week.
Old 03-15-05, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by DVDude!
Question: if I do order from ThaiCDExpress, I was thinking about AirMail instead of UPS or FedEx. Will I encounter severe delays?
My experience has been that Air Mail generally takes about a week longer than when I go the express route. Since I have such a ridiculous backlog of films to watch as it as, I am rarely in a rush.
Old 03-15-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

rampo, when you ordered from them, did they email you saying they shipped or no?
Old 03-15-05, 03:10 PM

Buddhawake - It's been awhile since my last order with them, but I think I did receive some kind of confirmation. Some internet vendors are better than others at offering feedback, but according to ThaiCDexpress' own FAQ:
After you finish order, you will receive 2 emails from us. First is SIPS system email which will show you the payment status (approved or declined). Another one is from ThaiCDExpress.com for your order details. If you receive email from SIPS indicate "declined" payment status, your order is failed. You must re-order by using other cards or try again later.

If you didn't get those emails, I would recommend sending an email to info@thaicdexpress with your order number to make sure that everything is copacetic.
Old 03-15-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah i got those emails. which are order confirmations but i'm refering to shipping notice or confirmation. thanks for the help.
Old 03-15-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
I wouldn't worry about Planetdvd.com.au, I never had a problem with them.
Thanks, Bill. I actually finally received a reply from them today from my initial email last week. They said that the DVDs should ship in 24-48 hours. Both your response and theirs combine to be a welcome relief.

rampo: I tend to feel the same way as you: no rush. As long as I get them eventually within a reasonable (subjective, I know) amount of time, that's fine by me. I take it that you chose AirMail by your response.

BuddhaWake: Thanks for the offer to update. I'm seriously considering an order prior to then. If and when I do order, I'll provide feedback too. Even with the $14.50 shipping for five DVDs, I haven't found better prices for Thai DVDs.
Old 03-17-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just to update, I got a delivery notice from FedEx today. So it did take less than what was expected by a day or so. I haven't gotten a chance to pick it up yet but at least it took less than a week for shipping out and fulfillment. No notice of shipping was sent which is in contrary to what their Q&A says but overall it was a succesful experience. I'll update once I pick up the package.
Old 03-17-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the offer to let us all know how it turns out, BuddhaWake. Hopefully all is well with it.
Old 03-18-05, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up the package, after over an hour of waiting and someone giving my package to another customer. The dvds came in wrapped in bubble wrap and in a Fed Ex "bag" envelope. Of the 8, 3 were loose only one was scratched. As for communication, I didn't received another email past the ordering one but I did send an email yesterday morning and they did reply with a tracking number. overall i'm satisfied and will definately will buy from them again. Like discussed earlier, if you are buying a significant amount they will be cheaper than ethaicd.com. I only bought Thai films but their selection is a little larger than ethaicd.com Didn't really check for other stuff so i can't comment on it.
Old 03-18-05, 09:12 AM

I'm glad that your experience was positive. Since I already own most of the older Thai titles that I want and now order only a new title or two at a time, I tend to use ethaicd the most.

What drives me crazy is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason as to which Thai films wind up with english subtitles. I have noticed that it seems that the films with some international potential (e.g., Beautiful Boxer, Ong-Bak, Fan Chan, OK Baythong, etc.), Thai film companies seem to hold off on issuing english-subtitled versions so that they can make some money off the international/festival showings. The first subtitled versions often wind up being offered from the Hong Kong vendors instead.
Old 03-18-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BuddhaWake: Glad to hear all was well with the order. I'm not too concerned about rattlers. That can happen with any DVD shipments, and they always play. I'll go ahead and take the plunge and probably order 5 DVDs (even though I still haven't received my PlanetDVD order).

THANKS!
Old 03-19-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I learned after my experiences with PlanetDVD (took about 2-3 weeks to get a package once), that I would start using another site. www.empiredvd.com.au is really quick on the shipping. Received an order for 1 dvd in about 5 business day. ezydvd.com.au is probably the most well liked and easiest to deal with.

All that said, don't worry, if you pray, your dvds will come!
Old 03-20-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took the plunge, based on this thread, and placed an order moments ago. Instead of five DVDs, I bought two more. AirMail was no longer an option (probably due to weight), so I did UPS instead. I got:
  • Phee Hua Khahd: Silly horror movie with good reviews.
  • Three: The only one I've seen. Two out of three stories are excellent (oddly not the Thai); any other DVD release is non-anamorphic, I believe.
  • Unhuman: Gory, B-horror with decent review.
  • Six: 2-Disc Special Edition: I know nothing about it, but the cover looked cool and it's a 2-disc SE...
  • Phee Mai Yaak Hai Khon Hen (3D): Another I know nothing about, but hopefully it's good, cheesy fun--plus it's 3D!
  • Bangkok Loco: I couldn't resist, based on the hilarious trailer on the official site. Added to order
  • Headless Hero 2: The sequel to Phee Hua Khahd above, but with less-than-stellar reviews. Added to order

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
I learned after my experiences with PlanetDVD (took about 2-3 weeks to get a package once), that I would start using another site. www.empiredvd.com.au is really quick on the shipping. Received an order for 1 dvd in about 5 business day. ezydvd.com.au is probably the most well liked and easiest to deal with. All that said, don't worry, if you pray, your dvds will come!
Now I'm praying that both PlanetDVD and ThaiCDExpress orders come. I thought about going with empiredvd.com.au, but I think that PlanetDVD was cheaper. I can wait for them, but I do get paranoid with limited communication from any particular site. Plus, neither site has anywhere to check order status. I'll be waiting with baited breath.

I'll post when both orders arrive safe and sound. Thanks to all!
Old 03-21-05, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dvddude. with thaicdexpress.com since you got UPS give it one week, i received mines on a thursday and I ordered saturday afternoon, so less than a week.
Old 03-21-05, 01:48 PM

You guys sure worry a lot.
Old 03-22-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm naturally paranoid because I like orderly fashion. for the next one i'll worry less.
Old 03-29-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good news: My ThaiCDExpress order was delivered on Monday. I picked it up this morning from my apartment office. I haven't even taken a close look at 'em yet; they're still in the bubble wrap, but look intact. In addition, they responded to my email promptly. Very happy with the purchase.

Bad news: I still haven't received my PlanetDVD order and they haven't been responding to my emails. Very disappointed with the service. Even if and when they eventually come, I will have to reconsider the decision...
Old 03-30-05, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVDude! Glad to hear it, it seems that we both had a good and identical expirience with thaicdexpress. Like I said, it only took a week. not too bad either.
Old 04-24-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI: I have STILL not received my DVDs from PlanetDVD and they are not responding to my emails or web form submissions. They charged me on 3/14/05. This is pissing me off.