Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers [Part Two]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [Part Two]

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert, but the Starmax looks better to me in these screenshots. Edko looks a little too blue. The Starmax shots look more natural.
Old 02-14-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Those Starmax shots look awful. It appears to be the same lousy transfer as the original 1-disc Edko release, which was a PAL conversion with very badly blown out contrasts.

I'd like to see screencaps of their Hero disc, as I'm tempted by the nice packaging. Most of the supplements seem to be a direct port of the Edko release of that film, though, so I'm expecting the transfer to be as well.
Old 02-14-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Any other region planning to take a stab at transfering the uncut version of the film to DVD or is this as good as it gets?
Old 02-14-05, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Those Starmax shots look awful. It appears to be the same lousy transfer as the original 1-disc Edko release, which was a PAL conversion with very badly blown out contrasts.
OOPS. sorry guys. my dvdprogram was set to vivid instead of original. I knew it looked better on my tv! haha. anyway, here's the correct starmax screenshot...

STARMAX

2-disc EDKO

original 1-disc EDKO

Last edited by sunny crockett; 02-15-05 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-15-05, 12:14 AM

update
Old 02-15-05, 12:20 AM

STARMAX

EDKO 2-disc
Old 02-15-05, 01:31 AM

Not much of a difference but I think the Starmax is better in those new pics...
Old 02-15-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Much better! Very similar looking transfers on these grabs. Is there any apparent ghosting or other PAL-conversion type artifacts when the film is "in motion"?

I think I'll stick with the Edko release for now. Does anyone think it likely that we'll eventually see a superbit transfer in R1?
Old 02-15-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just received the Edko 2-disc from cd-wow and am awaiting the Starmax LE I odered from dvdfromkorea. I watched a fair amount of the Edko and while I didn't think it was the best picture I've seen (R2 Hero) it wasn't bad. The only scene that looked a little washed out to me was the "Echo game" segment. The gallery looked OK but, Ziyi looked more pale than I remembered seeing her in a trailer for the film I saw last month or so. But othert than that, It looked pretty good.
Old 02-15-05, 09:01 AM

They look to the same to me, that is, when the player is set to "normal"
Old 02-15-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OOPS. sorry guys. my dvdprogram was set to vivid instead of original. I knew it looked better on my tv! haha. anyway, here's the correct starmax screenshot...

Sonny do you still stand by your original nod to the Starmax release?

Ron
Old 02-15-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Those look almost identical now. BTW, during the Echo Game, does the transfer get a little shoddy during a few shots here and there toward the faster portions like on the Edko 2-disc or does it stay uniformally good looking? That and a sudden (albeit brief) colour scheme change during the forest battle (when Zhang Ziyi jumps on the back of a horse) are the only bits that really bug me about the Edko 2-disc release. If the Starmax corrects those, it might not be a bad purchase for the price.

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I think I'll stick with the Edko release for now. Does anyone think it likely that we'll eventually see a superbit transfer in R1?
Considering Sony did a Superbit release for Crouching Tigger, Hidden Dragon, I'd say it's rather likely. The only question is if the DVD will be uncut, unlike the US theatrical release.
Old 02-15-05, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Those look almost identical now. BTW, during the Echo Game, does the transfer get a little shoddy during a few shots here and there toward the faster portions like on the Edko 2-disc or does it stay uniformally good looking? That and a sudden (albeit brief) colour scheme change during the forest battle (when Zhang Ziyi jumps on the back of a horse) are the only bits that really bug me about the Edko 2-disc release. If the Starmax corrects those, it might not be a bad purchase for the price.
I don't have the Edko for a good comparison but I just checked those 2 scenes on the Starmax and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Looked all good to me. No shoddiness or coulour scheme changes.
Old 02-15-05, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by RonBoster
Sonny do you still stand by your original nod to the Starmax release?

Ron
Run, No, that's when I watched it on my pc with the settings all fucked up

on the big screen it looks great to me. no mixed bag anymore.
Old 02-15-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sunny crockett
Run, No, that's when I watched it on my pc with the settings all fucked up

on the big screen it looks great to me. no mixed bag anymore.

thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. I bought the 1st release from Edko. Bought the 2nd LE from Edko-returned due to bad pressing. Was traveling and saw that Starmax was getting good review(s) last week, so I ordered while on the road. Then I saw your post yesterday. So I reorded the Edko 2 disc last night and was going to return the Starmax.....then saw your correction, so I cancelled the Edko 2 disc order and will not return the Starmax when it arrives......I'm exhausted.

Ron
Old 02-15-05, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RonBoster
thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. I bought the 1st release from Edko. Bought the 2nd LE from Edko-returned due to bad pressing. Was traveling and saw that Starmax was getting good review(s) last week, so I ordered while on the road. Then I saw your post yesterday. So I reorded the Edko 2 disc last night and was going to return the Starmax.....then saw your correction, so I cancelled the Edko 2 disc order and will not return the Starmax when it arrives......I'm exhausted.
Maybe you should order the Japanese Version too...just in case . I wonder how come there are no reviews on the japan version? Is it because no English subs?
Old 02-15-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fourizonly
Maybe you should order the Japanese Version too...just in case . I wonder how come there are no reviews on the japan version? Is it because no English subs?
I probably would have gone the R2 route, but as you speculated, no english subs. I was just hoping for an "Elite type" transfer similar to "Hero." I guess that will ahve to wait.
Old 02-16-05, 04:05 PM

I was able to order the Korean LE set from koreapop.com (asiandb.com). Ordered on Monday night and got my shipping confirmation today. This was the only place I was able to find it still in stock. It came to $59.98 total.
Old 02-16-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare8/houseofflyingdaggers2.htm

Verdict: The Starmax is minutely sharper.
Old 02-16-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
Good news. The extras seem to be better also. Now, if it would only get here... I'm waiting very (im)patiently.
Old 02-17-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there's already 2 threads now about this..& many replies...& with all the versions are out well almost...what do u think is the ultimate version now?
Old 02-17-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
The R1 is coming out on 04/19
Old 02-18-05, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by animatedude
there's already 2 threads now about this..& many replies...& with all the versions are out well almost...what do u think is the ultimate version now?
i've been wondering the same thing. i'm not region-free so i can't really get one of these good versions, but i am curious all the same
Old 02-18-05, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by animatedude
there's not really an ultimate version yet.
the Edko 2-disc and the Starmax are kinda tied.

Edko 2-disc: best sound / good image.
Starmax 2-disc: best image / good sound.

I'm happy with my Starmax. packaging is real nice too.
Old 02-18-05, 07:08 AM
Cool New Member

is the Starmax set still available anywhere(fr under $50 w/shipping)?? or am i too late?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.