Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any other BRIT TV fans out there?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Any other BRIT TV fans out there?

Old 03-13-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much. I am thinking of buying Teachers. I believe they have all three series for $70 at CDWOW.
Old 03-13-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
does "Spaced" also have dramatic elements, so it is not just slap stick comedy, but there is real emotion? if that is true it sounds fantastic!! i love a good sitcom with comedy and emotion, "Friends" was like that and I loved it.
I don't know who this "source" you have about Spaced, but I think you should listen to the guy

I wouldn't say Spaced has "drama" but it has loads of heart. I would classify it as Friends but for movie geeks & if friends was directed by Sam Raimi, b/c Spaced has been directing than most mainstream American films. There is romance & unrequited love & I guaranty by the end of the series you will fall in love with the characters (especailly Mike for me) & be sad the series is over.

And as I always say when talking about Spaced, it also has the greatest gun shoot-out ever filmed
Old 08-26-05, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by buckee1
Sid I just checked out the new Captain Scarlet web site and all I can say is WOW! The animation looks great. I still love the marionettes but this definately looks cool. You said it's coming to DVD in October, any ideas on where to pre-order this? I tried amazon.uk and they don't even have it listed as yet.

Thanks
Ahem!
Old 09-10-05, 07:37 PM

HELP NEEDED/CLARIFICATION ON "HAMISH MacBETH"

Hi--

Can anyone help me with this? I recently found out "Hamish MacBeth" was coming out on Region 1 DVD, but in the reviews on Amazon.com someone said ep #4 couldn't be included. (Why? I ask, but anyways).
I checked Amazon.co.uk and they had *seasons 1 and 2* available (2 sets), didn't look like any eps. were missing.
Does *anyone* know what's up?
Any recommendations for which set to buy, since I have a multi-region player?
(I'd normally go R1, but I'm thinking R2 might be a better deal).
Thanks,

--Brit TV Fan
Old 09-11-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Many Thanks Sid!!!!!
Old 09-12-05, 12:06 PM

Old 09-12-05, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
Question #2: A while back I saw a comedy series on British Airways that was insanely funny but I can't recall what it was called. From what I remember the show is comprised of a series of varying timed skits all revolving around word play and innuendo's. I know that's a vague description, but that's all I can remember.
its probably early nineties show 'the high life' with alan cumming (of X2) :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108803/

'catterick' is out on R2 UK. 'french and saunders' have a dvd of movie parodies theyve done called 'at the movies' which is out there...
Old 09-12-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone have this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009HBN5U/

It was released a couple months ago, but I can't find much info.

Is it just a repackaging? I'm wondering how it stacks up against the R1 set.
Old 09-12-05, 04:22 PM
Dai

Has anyone seen the Phoenix Nights spin off, Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere?

The release date is Oct 3 and I was wanting to get some reviews before buying the set.

Cheers!
Old 09-14-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am a Brit living in Puerto Rico and i mis my English TV dearly. I have tried getting a nice collection together on DVD and so far have gotten:

Bottom the Complete Series
The Young Ones Complete Series
Filthy, Rich and Catflap
Brasseye
Knowing Me Knowing You
I'm Alan Partridge Series 1 and 2
The Day Today
Only Fools and Horses Series 1-3
Blackadder The Complete Collection
The Comic Strip Presents Complete Collection
The League of Gentlemen Series 1
The Office Collection
Phoenix Nights Series 1 and 2

I am still waiting to get my hands on the Dennis Pennis collection and the other series of Only Fools and Horses and Extras when that comes out.

I wish they would release some of the Harry Enfield show, the old Saturday and Friday Night Lives and also a show i loved that used to be on Channel 4 called "Who Dares Wins." It was Rory Mcgrath and Tony Robinson from Blackadder and a couple of other people i can't remember. Also not comedy wise, but i would love to see "THe Incredibly Strange Film Show" released on DVD. Great series from Rossie.
Old 09-14-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few episodes of INcredibly Strange Film show have been released. I believe the one on Sam Raimi is on the Evil Dead box set in R2. But I'd love to see the whole series released.
Old 09-21-05, 09:16 PM

If anyone is now interested, I know it's been awhile, but *Catterick*, which I was raving about, is NOW available in Region 2 / PAL (UK Standard). Check Amazon UK or SendIT.com to order. Although it's a plain vanilla release with no extras, it is still an *excellent* comedy, I highly recommend it, especially if you like off-beat, on-the-edge British comedy (such as League of Gentlemen). Stars Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer and also Reece Shearsmith of (LoG).

Also, Reeves and Mortimer's very first comedy series, "Vic Reeves Big Night Out" Series 1 and 2 (together in a single set) just came out in the UK.

--Brit TV fan
Old 09-22-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

THis week I picked up. Catterick, Big Night Out, Mind Body and Kiss Ass Moves (awsome BBC Three martial arts documentary series) and Alexi Sayle's Stuff.
Old 09-22-05, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
THis week I picked up. Catterick, Big Night Out, Mind Body and Kiss Ass Moves (awsome BBC Three martial arts documentary series) and Alexi Sayle's Stuff.
double post.

Last edited by logboy; 09-22-05 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-22-05, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
cool. good taste. i havent seen alexei sayles 'stuff' since it was shown in the late 80s. 'catterick' is superb - recommend 'early doors' 'nighty night' and 'the smoking room' in the upcoming releases here in the UK...
Old 09-22-05, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
Thank you very much. I am thinking of buying Teachers. I believe they have all three series for $70 at CDWOW.
series 4 : early october 2005.
Old 09-22-05, 11:21 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has "only fools and horses" been mentioned yet? Is there a Region 1 version?
Old 09-22-05, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Has "only fools and horses" been mentioned yet? Is there a Region 1 version?
would doubt there would be an R1 - its probably too 'british' a show. theres an ultimate boxset due in the UK soon though on DVD.
Old 09-22-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dai
Has anyone seen the Phoenix Nights spin off, Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere?

The release date is Oct 3 and I was wanting to get some reviews before buying the set.

Cheers!
It's not bad but not as good as Phoenix Nights IMHO, although if you are a fan of PN and Peter Kay in general, i'm sure it will appeal.
Old 09-22-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by logboy
recommend 'early doors' 'nighty night' and 'the smoking room' in the upcoming releases here in the UK...
Agreed....i'd also add 'Peep Show'
Old 09-22-05, 01:48 PM
Dai

Originally Posted by logboy
would doubt there would be an R1 - its probably too 'british' a show. theres an ultimate boxset due in the UK soon though on DVD.
Series 1 - 3

Series 4, 5 and specials

Series 6

All available from amazon.com
Old 09-22-05, 03:03 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those arent R1 are they?

I only lived in England for about 3 years and didnt see the whole series. Which seasons would you consider the best? I saw a few episodes that had more drama than comedy in them and it was kind of a let down.
Old 09-22-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those arent R1 are they?

I only lived in England for about 3 years and didnt see the whole series. Which seasons would you consider the best? I saw a few episodes that had more drama than comedy in them and it was kind of a let down.
Yes, those are R1. The first two sets have been out for quite a while.
Old 09-23-05, 02:45 AM

Those arent R1 are they?

probably the 1980s shows are the best - they arent too aware theyre popular at that point (though they were very popular). by the time you hit the 90s episodes it gets a bit overblown (particularly towards the last episodes)... still, if you have the money : buy em all.
Old 01-05-06, 10:00 AM

As i was searching for some new quality TV programming (and reading what people thought of Monkey Dust), I stumbled upon this thread. Thought I'd revive it and add a few missing shows from the lists:

State of Play - 6 part "miniseries" that follows a newspaper's investigation of the murder of a MP's aide. Fantastic writing and performances all around. HIGHLY recommended for anyone who enjoys this genre (e.g., Prime Suspect, Cracker, etc)

Edge of Darkness - the inspiration for most of the creative team involved in State of Play. 1985 mystery-drama series that is also fantastic. occasionally tough to follow, but worth the investment

Ultraviolet - a pretty good vampire series with jack davenport (coupling/pirates of the caribbean). short lived though (one series only).

Cold Feet - great drama-comedy with really memorable characters. some of the storylines got a bit melodramatic, but overall this was a great watch (5 series, 6-10 episodes each).

The Book Group - we're just getting into this one. seems to be a quirky, dry, character comedy with some potential

Spooks / MI-5 - took a little bit of time to get into it, but after the first few episodes it really clicked. S2 is probably the best, followed by S1 and S3. the latest series that aired this fall had some really good and really bad episodes -- thank you usenet ;-)

Foyle's War - WW2 historical fiction; it's been on PBS Mystery I think. good stuff also

and a few that others have mentioned that I also recommend:

Spaced - again, great characters
Coupling S1-3 only; once Jeff left that was the demise of the show. . .
The Office, of course
Prime Suspect - Helen Mirren is incredible. . .

Up next:
Wire in the Blood
Monkey Dust
Survivors
Sea of Souls
Black Books
Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.