Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Oldboy UE thread part two: The Revenge!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Oldboy UE thread part two: The Revenge!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 10:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesparrow
What I don't understand is why the dvd sites that sold the UE didn't request the replacement digipacks themselves once they found out about the problem.
Too much work for them perhaps?
Old 12-30-04, 01:10 PM

Yeah, I guess since the set sells out everywhere they don't have to. :/
Old 12-30-04, 03:23 PM

I just got mine today as well and would like to give a huge thanks to Starmax for owning up to their mistakes and replacing the cases for us.. Especially those of us who live in the US. Most other companies would've just said "Oh well, its your problem not ours" and left us empty.

While the damage on mine wasnt bad to begin with, I really do appreciate them replacing it, and even moreso, sending out those liners (I had no clue what it was at first until I checked here). That really make it look nice now, and helps the cases go in/out easier.
Old 12-30-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sofdec
I just got mine today as well and would like to give a huge thanks to Starmax for owning up to their mistakes and replacing the cases for us.. Especially those of us who live in the US. Most other companies would've just said "Oh well, its your problem not ours" and left us empty.

While the damage on mine wasnt bad to begin with, I really do appreciate them replacing it, and even moreso, sending out those liners (I had no clue what it was at first until I checked here). That really make it look nice now, and helps the cases go in/out easier.

Did you receive any sort of response from Starmax when you requested replacement cases? Just wondering because I have not received anything from them yet.
Old 12-30-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I just sent Starmax a request for that liner since my digipacs are only lightly scuffed. My set is 0671 in case anyone's keeping track.
Old 12-30-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still haven't received an email back from them about this.
Old 12-30-04, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

I never had a response from Starmax.
I just emailed them with the info (case # etc) and then sat in limbo for a few weeks.
Old 12-31-04, 01:56 AM

Didnt receive any responce myself, so I just resent them another email the other day (12-22 I think) saying the same thing.. Still havent heard anything other than having this show up this morning.
Old 12-31-04, 02:41 PM

Got my replacements this morning also. The only response I had from Starmax though email was when I first emailed them and asked if they would send replacements to the USA (I did send it with the Korean subject line mentioned in the earlier thread). They replied back asking me to fill out their email form with the details. So I did, and told them I had damage to the first THREE digipacks (movie, supp I and supp II).. and they did indeed send me all three replacements!

I am really digging the insert sleeve they sent too.. now I can rest assured that the contents are well protected and won't catch and tear when going in and out of the case.

Good job Starmax for such a quick turnaround on these!
Old 12-31-04, 04:31 PM

Yeah, Im loving the sleeve. I really do wish I would've mentioned the 2nd case was damaged since mine has a little mark on the top and bottom (nothing bad, but if I had known it would be this easy to replace, I wouldve definately done so, I just didnt wanna 'push my luck' and find out they didnt replace either because I requested too much )

I'm happy though, and loving the sleeve.
Old 12-31-04, 10:58 PM

Gotta question for anyone who might know..

I have the Special Edition and Ultimate Edition.. I'm seeing this at aznfilms.com for the Final Edition:

If you guys lucked out on the 4 Disc Ultimate Edition, here is the next best thing. With all the special features from the UE, but with a better, restored print, this 2 Disc Final Edition is the way to go. Our only gripe is that they took out the DTS audio track so it's a give and take.

I always assumed the Final Edition was just Disc 1 + Disc 2 of the Ultimate edition.. with less extras (Less commentaries and no short films), So am I mistaken, or is aznfilms?

The main thing I'm asking about, is the "better, restored print" which makes it sound like its better than the Ultimate edition.. is that the case, or is it the same?
Old 12-31-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sofdec
Gotta question for anyone who might know..

I have the Special Edition and Ultimate Edition.. I'm seeing this at aznfilms.com for the Final Edition:

If you guys lucked out on the 4 Disc Ultimate Edition, here is the next best thing. With all the special features from the UE, but with a better, restored print, this 2 Disc Final Edition is the way to go. Our only gripe is that they took out the DTS audio track so it's a give and take.

I always assumed the Final Edition was just Disc 1 + Disc 2 of the Ultimate edition.. with less extras (Less commentaries and no short films), So am I mistaken, or is aznfilms?

The main thing I'm asking about, is the "better, restored print" which makes it sound like its better than the Ultimate edition.. is that the case, or is it the same?
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/oldboy3.htm
Old 12-31-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/oldboy3.htm
Old 01-01-05, 12:22 AM

ahh thanks.

I didnt even think of checking there - I figured it would've been too soon for comparisons with the new version

Either way, I'll stick with the UE/SE, and sorry for going off topic there
Old 01-02-05, 10:00 AM

I got my replacements the other day as well...VERY fast service from Starmax...I email´ed them just before dec. 20, and I got my replacements on the 27th
Old 01-02-05, 10:28 AM

So basically the Ultimate Edition is far from Ultimate at all! in fact its the worst!

best to wait for a best transfer and DTS on one version then as this is a joke they messed up it all like this, pahhh what a waste!

rename it

OLDBOY Ultimate packaging and extras, but not sound or transfer Edition!
Old 01-02-05, 02:09 PM
Cool New Member

What about the bloody Hong Kong disc? It's been out for a while but I can't find any comments on it.
Old 01-02-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
harry knowles's commentary was lame. i don't like him
Old 01-02-05, 07:04 PM

harry knowles I hate the big git to start with
Old 01-02-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Romerojpg
harry knowles I hate the big git to start with
Supposedly, Tarantino was to join Knowles in the recording booth... a shame that didn't come to pass.
Old 01-02-05, 08:51 PM

I'm sort of glad the 2 of them didnt go in there together.. I just think it wouldve turned out BAD.

I wouldve loved a tarantino commentary though - All knowles did was read the subtitles throughout it and comment on the wallpaper

I did think some of his stuff was entertaining though.. Just didnt add to the movie much
Old 01-03-05, 01:45 AM

so if i order the UE from one of the sites that still offers it, can i still get the replacement digipaks if i pay for postage? does anybody have direct quotes from starmax?
Old 01-03-05, 02:54 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by royalwithcheese
so if i order the UE from one of the sites that still offers it, can i still get the replacement digipaks if i pay for postage? does anybody have direct quotes from starmax?
I think you'd be SOL.
But you could email them and ask, or ask the retailer if they have ordered replacements.
Old 01-03-05, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by royalwithcheese
Thats what someone said, I'd definately email them about it now ([email protected] or something like that) and make sure.

I think some sites are actually doing stuff to prevent damage though.
Old 01-03-05, 08:18 AM

Just got my replacement digipaks and the protective insert. I am delighted with this purchase, and very impressed with the customer service I received from both my vendor (theDVDetective) and the manufacturer. Thanks to all who made me aware of this fantastic DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.