Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

EYES WIDE SHUT R2 or R3 - best place to buy?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-29-04, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent a bit of time reading the old forum threads about the different versions of EYES WIDE SHUT.

It seems that the best versions (as far as being uncensored by digital figures and with an unaltered musical soundtrack) are the R2 Japan and R3 Hong Kong.

I usually order from HKFlix, but they don't have EYES WIDE SHUT listed.

Any other suggestions on good retailers for international DVDs?

Also, any news on whether the U.S. will ever see a R1 version of the uncensored version?

Cheers!
Old 11-29-04, 12:39 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...eyes+wide+shut
Old 12-01-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: EYES WIDE SHUT R2 or R3 - best place to buy?

Originally posted by arotolante
Also, any news on whether the U.S. will ever see a R1 version of the uncensored version?
Word is it's coming out within the next year.

Note, of course, that it will still likely have the chant edited, so you may still consider it minorly "censored". [My understanding is that even the R3 does have this change, despite some information floating around which contradicts this; I've seen a few people who have it and say there's no difference, the only people I've heard say there is a difference are going by second-hand information.]

EDIT: Found it in a thread on the R1 forum ... here's the quote, originally from Digital Bits, april '04:
"In his discussion, Mr. Vitali revealed that Warner Bros. is planning to release the uncensored international version of Eyes Wide Shut here in the States, sometime next year."

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 12-01-04 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-15-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For those looking to buy, as Warner still has yet to announce any R1 release, KoreanDVDs.com has the R3 HK disc for $10 right now. Just ordered two copies (one for me and one for a friend).
Old 05-16-05, 09:14 AM

I got the HK version today. DVDcompare says there's a Korean DVD out there, but I've been trying to find a copy for about 6 months. I don't think there IS a Korean DVD now. If there is a Korean version, it's probably the same as the HK DVD (Chinese and Korean subs are present). In any case, my HK case is a keep case. I guess it's a new printing. WB seems to have done away with snappers.
Old 05-17-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is the transfer comparable to the R1?
Old 05-17-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Is the transfer comparable to the R1?
The Region 3 disc is basically identical to the R1 in picture and sound quality, aside from the lack of digital shadow figures during the orgy scene. I'm sure Warner Bros. did both transfers at the same time and just shipped the two different cuts to different regions.
Old 05-18-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even the DTS track isn't much of an improvement? <--That's really the only reason I'd consider going for the R3. If they're the same, a/v-wise, I'd rather have the commentaries on the R1 than the game/cardboard plane in the R3.
Old 05-18-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Even the DTS track isn't much of an improvement? <--That's really the only reason I'd consider going for the R3. If they're the same, a/v-wise, I'd rather have the commentaries on the R1 than the game/cardboard plane in the R3.
Did you post in the wrong thread? Sounds like you're talking about Sky Captain, not Eyes Wide Shut.
Old 05-19-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoops... and you're exactly right about what I thought I was asking! Thanks for the info about "EWS" (no questions there), but if you happen to have an opinion on the R1 vs. R3 "Sky Captain", I'd love to know it! (But, you know, in the appropriate thread I guess.)