Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

For Anyone Who Has or Has Seen the Scandinavian DVD for "The Big Lebowski"

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-06-04, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help here. I just imported what I thought was the new version of this DVD from www.dvdsverige.com and I'm confused. Here's the deal:

I got the DVD and it has the new cover with the DTS logo on the front (see scan):

...as opposed to the old 1998 version seen here:

The thing is, I don't think the disc that was in the case is really the new version. Nowhere on the disc is the DTS logo or year of production printed, and the disc art looks like the old cover art, with the beige background behind Jeff Bridges & John Goodman as opposed to the new cover art, which as you can see, has a grey, cloudy background.

As for the disc content itself, there is no option for DTS sound. All it has listed in the options is "Dolby Stereo" and "AC-3 Sound." I don't even know what "AC-3 Sound" is, unless it's Swedish for DTS. Furthermore, according to the back cover, there are supposed to be interviews on the DVD. These are listed separately from the "featurette" as you can see in this scan:

Dvdcompare.net also has the following other features listed for the new DTS version:
Exclusive 15 minute cast & crew interview about the making of the film
Theatrical trailer
"White Russian" recipe (text)

However, none of these things is on the DVD I got. It only has one 6-minute featurette with snippets of interviews spliced in. Meanwhile, the old version is listed as having the following:
Making-of featurette
Cast & Crew bios
Bonus trailers

Am I crazy or did they put the old DVD in the new case? It was sealed in plastic, so perhaps it was a factory error. Otherwise, dvdcompare.net has faulty info and the back cover is misleading.

Anyone have either the new or old Scandinavian disc who can confirm this before i spend MORE money to send it back? And if anyone has any advice on the best way to go about returning this, please let me know.
Old 07-06-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as it is still 'Skruvad Skrattfest' that should be all that matters!
Old 07-06-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly!
Old 07-07-04, 12:14 AM

I have the Swedish New Edition and it seems you got the disc of the older version. The new disc has DTS printed on it and it has a gray background like the cover.

You better contact dvdsverige.com and ask to get it replaced.

Btw - Did it arrive shrinkwrapped?
Old 07-07-04, 01:47 AM

Thanks Mikkis. Yes, it was shrinkwrapped. So does yours have all the features I listed above from dvdcompare.net?
Old 07-07-04, 02:39 AM

Yes, it has all the features you listed.

Cast & Crew bios
Featurette (6 min)
Interviews (14 min)
Trailers (Big Lebowski, G.I. Jane, Good Will Hunting, Boondock Saints)
White Russian recipe
Old 07-07-04, 04:16 AM

Thanks, I'm gonna get this taken care of or dvdsverige.com is entering a WORLD OF PAIN.
Old 07-07-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: For Anyone Who Has or Has Seen the Scandinavian DVD for "The Big Lebowski"

Originally posted by Whitebeard
I don't even know what "AC-3 Sound" is, unless it's Swedish for DTS.
AC-3 is the old name for Dolby Digital 5.1 that Dolby used in the laserdisc days. Some people still use the term.
Old 07-19-04, 07:33 PM

bring this topic back up to the top....

same deal as the OP. just received lebowski dts from dvdsverige and the disc is the old version. looks like the distributor, Jupiter, really screwed up. i shot an e-mail off to dvdsverige. we'll see how they handle this production problem. not real excited having to spend even more cash to mail the disc back to them.
Old 07-19-04, 08:24 PM

I am still in the process of getting this thing replaced. After several emails back and forth, dvdsverige has told me they are "checking with the distributor" to see if this is a problem with all the new versions. However, since Mikkis apparently got the right disc, I told them I didn't think it was. I figured it was just mine, a random mistake. They still wanted to confirm it with Jupiter or whoever the distributor is, so I have yet to mail mine back. Looks like they might be onto something after all.

I'm hoping they will reimburse me the cost of shipping it back to them, but we'll have to wait and see. If they do, they should be reimbursed by the distributor IMO. Let me know what happens with yours, feloosa.
Old 07-20-04, 03:05 PM

There have been a lot of similar problems of wrong discs here in Finland also. I think the distributor is the same in Finland and Sweden, so this is not an isolated incident. I bought mine several months ago and it's indeed the correct DTS version. It seems there have been some mistake in distributor's end recently.
Old 07-20-04, 03:43 PM

dvdsverige.com has very poor service. The last time I ordered from them they emailed me my DVD was shipped. A month later I received it, only to find out they had really shipped it two weeks later than they told me. When I questioned them about it, they stopped responding to my emails.

I hope you have better luck.
Old 07-28-04, 09:05 AM

We know that there is a problem with this film, and it appears that only one pressing of this film had the wrong disc placed in the case. We have contacted Atlantic and they are currently checking their stock of the film.

Unfortunately, things sometimes go slowly here in Sweden during summer, especially around mid-sommar and most companies including Atlantic close here for summer holidays and stock-take.

Of course, we will send new discs as soon as we get them from Atlantic and Whitebeard and Feloosa can keep the incorrect versions as it is not worth the postage to send them back.

We always try to solve these sort of problems straight away, but as I mentioned, summer is a little slow here sometimes.

Hope this restores faith in us. Sifu, if you give me details of your order, I can look into this for you. Please send an email to us with your order number and I will find out what happened to your order.

Regards

Robert
Customerservice
DVD Sverige
www.dvdsverige.com
Old 07-28-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Always nice to see a retailer posting.
Old 07-28-04, 09:16 AM

Phew, glad you said that... wasn't too sure if it was OK.... som pages delete replies from retailers!

Regards

Robert
Customerservice
DVD Sverige
www.dvdsverige.com
Old 07-28-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just as long as you don't spam the board you'll be okay!
Old 07-28-04, 12:09 PM

Promise! Just wanted to post a reply for all that were concerned with their purchase.

Regards

Robert
Customerservice
DVD Sverige
www.dvdsverige.com
Old 07-28-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by DVDSverige
Promise! Just wanted to post a reply for all that were concerned with their purchase.

Regards

Robert
Customerservice
DVD Sverige
www.dvdsverige.com
Hey....Welcome to the forum....always nice to see more Swedes....

Pro-B
Old 07-29-04, 05:05 AM

Skruvad Skrattfest!
Old 07-29-04, 08:33 AM

Latest news is that Atlantic have temporarily withdrawn the film and have send all back to the factory for a control. They expect a new delivery in the week beginning 16th August.

Regards

Robert
Customerservice
DVD Sverige
www.dvdsverige.com
Old 07-29-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Hey....Welcome to the forum....always nice to see more Swedes....

Pro-B
Svet! We don't need no more stinkin Swedes!!! You arte more than enough!
Old 07-29-04, 09:59 AM

Hope this restores faith in us. Sifu, if you give me details of your order, I can look into this for you. Please send an email to us with your order number and I will find out what happened to your order.
Thank you very much for the offer, but it's a case of too little too late now. As I mentioned, I eventually received the package, but it was not a pleasant shopping experience.

I was told it was shipped, and it wasn't until two weeks later. During the month I was waiting for my package, I had email contact with your company, but not once was I told of any holiday or possible delay problem. Once I received the package and requested information about why it was shipped so late, I suddenly couldn't get a response.

Interestingly enough, I just received a reply to my old emails yesterday, blaming the holiday. Funny how it comes after my post here.
Old 07-29-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Svet! We don't need no more stinkin Swedes!!! You arte more than enough!

.....ughhhh....ok......... ha ha ha.

Thank's Bill.

Pro-B
Old 07-29-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
We don't need no more stinkin Swedes!!!
Born and raised,
blue and yellow.

Old 07-29-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Born and raised,
blue and yellow.

Pro-B

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.