Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Got my R2 Casshern -- Initial Thoughts.

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Got my R2 Casshern -- Initial Thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by candyrocket786
I paid $39 over @ Amazon (w/ 500 yen coupon)
Do you know how to get a coupon? Is there anything for a first time customer at amazon.com.jp?
Old 10-28-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it at Bic Camera for 4441Y with the typical 10% back in poiints, so about 4000Y. I know Kiriya is a good music video director, but without Hikaru Utada actually in the movie, I think I'll rent it before I decide to buy.
Old 10-28-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by dullboy
Do you know how to get a coupon? Is there anything for a first time customer at amazon.com.jp?
Looks like it might be expired. Not sure when....considering I preordered Casshern about 2 months ago.

I believe this was the code: AMZNAFCCNCGC
Old 10-28-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That code is still working, as long as you're a first time customer.
Old 10-29-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ehonauer
That code is still working, as long as you're a first time customer.
aka Just make a new account if you've already got one. That's what I did for the Kill Bill Vol 2 box set.
Old 10-29-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is wise to place an order for more than one item. I would suggest the Hero set, very nice slipcase and top notch a/v!
Old 10-29-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any other really good R2J dvd's to order??? I'm kinda wanting to order Casshern, but like DrGerbil said it's wise to order more than one item.
Old 10-29-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here goes some more of your hard earned cash:
Eyes Wide Shut (the R2 is unrated)
Shinji Iwai films (some don't have eng subs)

There are a few others you could get, though, i'm taking into account future releases in R1 that could render them obsolete (such as Leon and Lynch's Wild At Heart).
Old 10-29-04, 07:27 AM

I wish I could order it from amazon, but customs will only get it and charge me a fortune, so no way! will just have to wait and see what other regions dvds are like and hope they are as good as the J dvd but it looks sooo nice....
Old 10-29-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Romerojpg
I wish I could order it from amazon, but customs will only get it and charge me a fortune, so no way! will just have to wait and see what other regions dvds are like and hope they are as good as the J dvd but it looks sooo nice....
How much would they charge you?
Old 10-29-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well the way current things are going, you could see a decent, cheaper Korean release too. I don't have any info, that just tends to be the pattern. But wouldn't customs charge the same no matter which other country it came from? So you're waiting for a UK release?
Old 10-31-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What an absolutely terrible film. Overly art directed, incredibly confused storyline, ultra-preachy "message", with CGs that look straight from a X-Box game. Incredibly inconsistent visuals, sometimes looking like a sci-fi, sometimes looking like it's lifted from Lord of the Rings! Not to talk about the terrible acting and zero character development. And god, the "action" scenes are go overblown and choppy that it's almost unwatchable.

The film is desparately trying to be "Cool", but overdid it by about 1000%. If I saw this at the cinemas, I would have long walked out.
Old 10-31-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
What an absolutely terrible film. Overly art directed, incredibly confused storyline, ultra-preachy "message", with CGs that look straight from a X-Box game. Incredibly inconsistent visuals, sometimes looking like a sci-fi, sometimes looking like it's lifted from Lord of the Rings! Not to talk about the terrible acting and zero character development. And god, the "action" scenes are go overblown and choppy that it's almost unwatchable.

The film is desparately trying to be "Cool", but overdid it by about 1000%. If I saw this at the cinemas, I would have long walked out.
Awesome! I can't wait to watch it.
Old 10-31-04, 03:46 PM

Customs are a bunch of inconsistent bugger, they may charge between 9 and 15 UKpounds for Casherna, which isnt nice anyway you look at it

I had been caught by customs about 5 times in 5 years, and a few weeks ago I started getting seriously picked on and they have had 15 of my parcels! coming to a few hundred pounds

So in the future I am never going to take a chance, places like YESASIA get round customs, they may not be the cheapest for me, but to get around customs is a massive factor for people who may get stung by them evil pigdogs!

Old 10-31-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Did you purchase it?? If so how much did this blind buy cost you?? Opinions vary on it so I am just wondering...
Old 10-31-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Customs are a bunch of inconsistent bugger, they may charge between 9 and 15 UKpounds for Casherna, which isnt nice anyway you look at it

I had been caught by customs about 5 times in 5 years, and a few weeks ago I started getting seriously picked on and they have had 15 of my parcels! coming to a few hundred pounds

So in the future I am never going to take a chance, places like YESASIA get round customs, they may not be the cheapest for me, but to get around customs is a massive factor for people who may get stung by them evil pigdogs!

Probably cheaper for someone in the US to order it from Amazon for $39 USD and then ship it to you. Of course you would have to cover the extra shipping. I think in the end it would come out cheaper.
Old 10-31-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've placed some pretty large orders (one was over $300) at amazon.co.jp and i've never once gotten hit with customs. I suppose the UK is far more anal about this than the US.
Old 10-31-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should sell your copy to Romerojpg.
Old 10-31-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was going to order this through amazon.co.jp but the site's in japanese. When I click on the link to make it all in English it doesn't seem to stick.
Old 10-31-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It worked for me.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...930912-0821116

The site has the exact look of the US version (w/ JPN characters).

Once you click the "Display in English" button, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you're still having issues, you might be able to buy it from www.thedvdetective.com
Old 11-01-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by d2cheer
Did you purchase it?? If so how much did this blind buy cost you?? Opinions vary on it so I am just wondering...
It's part of my job to watch films for possible screening, so no, I didn't buy the DVD
Old 11-01-04, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by jiggawhat
I was going to order this through amazon.co.jp but the site's in japanese. When I click on the link to make it all in English it doesn't seem to stick.
If I remember correctly, to make it stick you have to start by putting an item in your cart, then press 'Show in English'.
Then you make an account (press 'Adress outside Japan' or some such at apropiate points, sometimes link in Japanese on second logon page, use your first name or whatever in the Fugirama (?) field).
Old 11-02-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally was able to order this. It took a few tries but it worked.
Old 11-03-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Review here:
http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/sci.../casshern.html
Old 11-03-04, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by DrGerbil
I've placed some pretty large orders (one was over $300) at amazon.co.jp and i've never once gotten hit with customs. I suppose the UK is far more anal about this than the US.
the UK has different regulations to the USA. over £18 = duty and VAT charge (20%), USA either has no limit or its very high - cant remember which.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.