Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Old 10-15-04, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any idea if there will be an edition like the R2 'Hero' released?? the one with the figures, will wait for that.
Old 10-15-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: Re: House of Flying Daggers

Originally posted by texaspete
Says it's Region Code 3 DVD.
Since this movie hasn't even come out in the theatres in North America, don't tell me that you thought it was going to be a Region 1 release?
Old 10-15-04, 01:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: House of Flying Daggers

Originally posted by LorenzoL
Since this movie hasn't even come out in the theatres in North America, don't tell me that you thought it was going to be a Region 1 release?
Guess I'm not up and up on what the rules are. I got Hero and Iron Monkey before it hit theaters here so I guess that's assuming too much (and no, those copies are not bootleg).
Old 10-15-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're essentially correct, texaspete... if you'd said "all-region" instead of "R1", I think you'd be entirely accurate.

And I'd be surprised if the GDFACE DVD isn't all-region/NTSC, and even more surprised if all-region/NTSC DVDs don't start flooding the market.
Old 10-15-04, 04:58 PM

I received an email today the House of Flying Daggers DVD I pre-ordered would be delayed until October 18 and that there is a possibility that it could be delayed past that date.

FYI.

A
Old 10-15-04, 05:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: House of Flying Daggers

Originally posted by texaspete
Guess I'm not up and up on what the rules are. I got Hero and Iron Monkey before it hit theaters here so I guess that's assuming too much (and no, those copies are not bootleg).
The Edko release of Hero was Region 3. The House of Flying Daggers DVD being talked about here is the Edko release too, so it's quite natural for it to be Region 3 as well.
Old 10-17-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: House of Flying Daggers

Originally posted by khai
The Edko release of Hero was Region 3. The House of Flying Daggers DVD being talked about here is the Edko release too, so it's quite natural for it to be Region 3 as well.
Word!
Old 10-17-04, 11:19 AM

Just got an email from CDWOW saying my DVD has shipped:

Order #-------------
Just to let you know that
DVD Video House Of Flying Daggers (5.1/ DTS) has been dispatched.

Please allow 5 to 7 days for the goods to arrive.

It was only 11$. Can't wait to get it.
Saw the movie at a screening in New York last weekend. Great Movie.
Old 10-18-04, 01:00 AM

how'd you get it at $11?? It's 7.99 GBP which is over US$14
Old 10-18-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Scaryguy
Anyone have any idea if there will be an edition like the R2 'Hero' released?? the one with the figures, will wait for that.
This movie is being called LOVERS in Japan.And it's still in the theaters.So you have to wait a while to know the DVD details.

Last edited by Kumar J; 10-18-04 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-18-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by glorafiedg
Just got an email from CDWOW saying my DVD has shipped:
Time for me to place an order.
Old 10-18-04, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone in NYC, Chinatown gets it today.
Old 10-18-04, 12:32 PM

Hey iskandam,
I ordered from CDWOW's Hong Kong Web Site... it was 89 HK Dollars which = about $11.41 USD.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-19-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone get shipment confirmation from yesasia yet? Says "ready; in stock" on my account page since yesterday, and no change. WTF?
Old 10-19-04, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by harosa
Anyone in NYC, Chinatown gets it today.
Do you recommend any specific stores?
Old 10-19-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVD review

Here's my take on this movie and the Edko Region 3 DVD:

When buying the HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS Edko DVD, DO NOT look at the images on the back cover. There is an image that gives something away. It didn't ruin the movie for me, but still, they should have been more careful with the selected images for the back DVD cover.

DAGGERS is a great movie! Yimou Zhang and Siu-Tung Ching and their writers are such a great team. Their good direction, good action, and good story have created another winner after HERO. DAGGERS is a totally entertaining and emotional movie. First off, as good as it is, it is true that this movie is no masterpiece when comparing it to HERO. DAGGERS isn't a masterpiece, but it's a really good movie. I wasn't sure if it was the director or the action director that once was quoted as saying that "House of Flying Daggers is going to be bigger than Hero... Hero was just practice compared to Daggers..." I think it's just the opposite - DAGGERS feels like the type of movie that was made first before HERO, because DAGGERS is more like a smaller, much intimate, film than HERO. Everything - from design, action, story - about HERO is much more grander. It felt like DAGGERS is like the director's VERSUS. But there is nothing wrong with this movie feeling smaller than HERO. The action scenes were amazing and the CGI felt a step better than in HERO. (Although, the final ten minutes of the movie has CGI effects reminiscent of the CGI levels of STORMRIDERS.) I heard a lot of negative comments about the acting of the actors. I think this is Takeshi Kaneshiro, Andy Lau, and Zhang Ziyi's best acting work! I just don't get it when people were saying that Andy Lau and Zhang Ziyi are bad actors. I just don't get it. All three, especially Zhang Ziyi, have great cinematic presence. Once again, since DAGGERS felt like a "smaller" movie, the director uses less respectable actors in comparison to the great Jet Li, Tony Leung, and Maggie Cheung. Those three are great and have extreme depth (even Jet Li), so of course how can Takeshi Kaneshiro, Andy Lau, and Zhang Ziyi compare. But they do a great acting job as much as they are capable of doing. I always thought that Zhang Ziyi was just cute, but in DAGGERS, she is hot! And her acting as a blind person is good. I have worked with blind people, and Im sure that she researched herself how to act "blind" and she did a great job. I thought she was better doing blind than the overacting girl in The Village or exagerated Rutger Hauger in Blind Fury.

The Edko Region 3 NTSC DVD is overall good. No extras, but that's okay, since it came out early. We all know that HOUSE OF DAGGERS will be getting many more releases with better video, audeo, and extras quality, so what Edko gives us here is pretty good for 13 bucks.
The anamorphic video is good. There seems to be some ghosting or motion blurrness during movement, but it's not that distracting from enjoying the flick. This movie has some great colors in it, and it looks great! As I remember, the HERO Edko DVD video quality is slightly better than on the DAGGERS Edko DVD...
The DD 5.1 and DTS Manderin is amazing! And loud!!! Make sure to turn your volume low during the dance drum scene. I wasn't expecting it to be so damn loud - my whole apartment was shaking as I was trying to turn it down lower during that scene. The audio design on this movie is excellent. When daggers and bamboo are chucked around in the movie, the audio design is awsome and the surrounds get some action...
The Extras are just filmography, photos, and an anamorphic trailer.
The English subtitles are very good. I don't remember seeing any mistakes.

Overall, HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS is a great movie. It's the best Asian movie I've seen since HERO and it has another moving story with some surprising twists. It even had some subtle humor in the movie. HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS is basically a well-written romantic film reminscent of a Shakespeare storyline, with some awsome action!

MOVIE: 9
DVD VIDEO: 8
DVD AUDIO: 9
EXTRAS: 2
OVERALL: 8.5

The best NYC Chinatown DVD stores are three stores on Bowery at the corner of Bowery and Canal Street...
Old 10-19-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, for the review, toddly6666.

Hopefully, my EDKO copy of Daggers will arrive from CD-WOW just in time for the weekend.
Old 10-19-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got shipment notification from yesasia. Should have it by Thursday. With toddly6666's review, I have high hopes.
Old 10-19-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Just got my shipping notice from yesasia as well. Can't wait to get this disc in my hands.
Old 10-20-04, 09:40 PM

can someone help me out. does anyone know if this Edko Region 3 version is playable on region 1???

I know the Infernal affairs dvds we're region 3 but was playable on region 1.

Thanks
Old 10-21-04, 12:24 AM

I received shipment notification from DDDhouse last week. It should arrive any day now. I can't wait!!!!
Old 10-21-04, 10:37 AM

piece with link to screen grabs of edko disc at twitchfilm.com now...
Old 10-21-04, 06:42 PM

Bodhi Sarkar has presented us with a full review of this brand new region 3 release of House Of Flying Daggers here.

Snippet:
Zhang Yimou is fully aware on how to paint a canvas full of glorious colours, scenery and action. This wonderful blend is responsible for one of this year’s greatest martial arts spectacular – House of Flying Daggers. Although not nearly on the same scale as Hero, this period piece features all the essential elements to create a fun, entertaining blockbuster that easily rivals a lot of mundane Hollywood efforts.

The Region 3 DVD is tremendous value, offering an admirable presentation of the film at a low price. Where the video transfer suffers, the DTS track compensates with its wonderful array of organised sounds and earth shattering bass. I will be very surprised to discover anyone who is not captivated by the audio capabilities of the DVD. Therefore after reading this, please bag a copy of this DVD and enjoy what one of China’s finest has to offer.
Old 10-21-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
I picked up some funky version on a trip to chinatown in LA. Put out by Zoke Culture.

I knew I should have waited and ordered the EDKO version.

Last edited by devilshalo; 10-21-04 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine today. Watched it. Loved it. Gonna watch it again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.