Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackie Chan's NEW POLICE STORY

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Jackie Chan's NEW POLICE STORY

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpc
Been wondering how this movie is...

being a pretty big JC fan here. Is NPStory worth the cash overall.
Prob going to order the trilogy for xmas myself but wondering if getting the LEdition of the new police story is worth it. If it is (which it is looking like it is) anyone know a good shop to order it from?
I really liked it. I havent seen the original PS movies though (I just bought the boxset of them the other day though), but I really liked it a lot. I just dont know how long-time fans of the series will like it.

I went for the normal edition (Limited was all preordered out at the store), but from what it has (A little model gun and something else) I just dont see it being worth that much more.

If its just a few bucks, why not though.
Old 12-17-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Quatermass
A-Ha! That little mystery is solved. I almost had it, but I didn't realize the gun was part of the "display", I'll bet the clip is supposed to hold the calendar page up. Thanks.
Maybe. Had I actually received the calendar with my LE I'm sure I'd have a better idea. Still no word from HKFlix regarding the missing items.
Old 12-17-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ytrez
The "little metal bit" goes into the slot on the base with the notched end up. The butt end of the little gun goes into the indentation on the base and the nose goes into the notch on the "little metal bit". I have to assume the cable & clip is to hang the base onto something though that doesn't seem workable to me.

Update: I found a pic: http://aznfilms.com/product_info.php/products_id/1464
The roach clip thing is a mystery to me too... I figured it was to hold the insert that's too large to fit inside the keepcase. I clipped that to it and it just looked dumb. So I don't know. I tried holding the thing by the roach clip, but the wire pulled out of the base so I figured that wasn't it.
Old 12-17-04, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ytrez
Just got the LE from HKFlix & I'm disappointed. Not in the movie, I haven't watched it yet. But the 2005 mini-calendar & the memo pad were missing from the package and the hub for disc 2 was broken & the DVD loose.

royalwithcheese, my package was not shrinkwrapped at all. The flap on the plastic exterior case had a little circular sticker that was too hold it down but that was loose.
the hub for both disc 1 and 2 was broken on mine, both discs were loose all over the place inside the case, and both are scratched all to hell!!! argh, you and me both...is the regular 2 disc dvd available outside of the LE the same as the one that comes in the LE? i'm gonna get another copy so i can pretend like nothing happened...
Old 12-17-04, 07:11 PM

I dont know if theyre the same, but heres what my regular 2 disc set looks like:

Slipcover front:

Slipcover back:

Slipcover + Case (Front/back look the same as the slipcover):

Open case:
Old 12-17-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Been wondering how this movie is...

being a pretty big JC fan here. Is NPStory worth the cash overall.
Prob going to order the trilogy for xmas myself but wondering if getting the LEdition of the new police story is worth it. If it is (which it is looking like it is) anyone know a good shop to order it from?
I'm working on a full review now, as well as a review of the Police Story Trilogy box.

For New Police Story, if you're a big Jackie fan I'd say buy the standard edition for around $15. The movie isn't awful, but it's not worth spending more than that, and frankly I think the packaging of the Limited Edition is kind of goofy.
Old 12-17-04, 09:56 PM

Ok , will wait for your reviews on these products then i will order them. A little late xmas present for myself i think ...
Old 12-17-04, 10:32 PM

thanks for the pics! my slip cover is different...on the back it has Nicholas Tse and the Twins girl, and no text...it's like an alternate cover...but the discs look the same..*sigh, looks like i'll have to buy the regular version and then switch the discs with mine...such hassles. thanks for the pics though!
Old 12-18-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got finished watching it - and I liked it alot. It had some flaws and whatnot, but it was classic HK action. Glad I didn't listen to the bad reviews.
Old 12-18-04, 04:22 AM

I've got a quick sort of unrelated question.

I just bought the "Police story" boxset the other day (With police story 1, 2, 3).

Including NEW POLICE STORY, are there only the 4 movies? I'm seeing stuff like "Police Story 4" online, and "New Police Story" from about 10 years ago, as well as "Supercop 2" from about 10 years ago.
Old 12-18-04, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's how it breaks down... someone may correct me if I'm wrong...

This is the official Police Story series in which he plays Chan Ka-Kui:
Police Story - 1985
Police Story 2 - 1988
Police Story 3 - 1992 (aka Supercop)
Police Story 4 - 1996 (aka First Strike) - this film almost doesn't count as it doesn't have Maggie playing his fed-up girlfriend May. I still consider it a part of the series though. Regardless, the first 3 can be considered a complete trilogy.

In 1993 he made 2 other movies that are sometimes referred to as Police Story 4 or New Police Story, but his character's name wasn't Ka Kui (although both times it was Inspector Chan).

Chao ji ji hua - 1993 - playing Inspector Chan (aka Once a Cop, Police Story 3 Part 2, Police Story 4: Project S, Police Story V, Project S, Supercop (UK), and Supercop 2) this is most often referred to in the US as Supercop 2 or Project S. This one is good, but Jackie only has a cameo appearance and this is more of a Michelle Yeoh movie and is a spinoff sequel from Police Story 3 just for her character.

Zhong an zu - 1993 - playing Inspector Eddie Chan (aka Crime Story, New Police Story, Police Dragon, Police Story IV, and Serious Crimes Squad) This is referred to in the US as Crime Story and is darker and more serious than the Police Story series. It was originally supposed to have Jet Li starring.

This new movie called New Police Story has him playing Inspector Wing which is a completely different character. I chalk it up to them lacking the ability to come up with creative titles and settling on one. He plays a pretty dark character here as well - think Bruce Willis from Die Hard 3.

Last edited by Trigger; 12-18-04 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-18-04, 11:51 AM

Wow, thats incredibly confusing, but thanks for explaining it.

One short question though, Besides Police story 1, 2, 3 and New police story, should I both with any of the others?
Old 12-18-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First Strike is good... Supercop 2 is pretty good if you like Michelle Yeoh. Crime Story isn't bad. I don't know - I like em.
Old 12-18-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger
This new movie called New Police Story has him playing Inspector Wing which is a completely different character. I chalk it up to them lacking the ability to come up with creative titles and settling on one. He plays a pretty dark character here as well - think Bruce Willis from Die Hard 3.
Trigger, your summary is excellent.

The new "New Police Story" is not a direct sequel but is clearly designed to cash in on the old series. There's a double-decker bus stunt that is meant as a reference to the first Police Story movie, for example.

The English subtitles also alternate between calling his character "Inspector Chan" and "Inspector Wing" (the latter is his actual credited role).

Ok , will wait for your reviews on these products then i will order them. A little late xmas present for myself i think ...
I doubt my reviews will be posted before the new year. I'm actually working on a massive HK action movie slate of reviews that will all go up at the same time, including these two, the Better Tomorrow Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in China I II II, the John Woo Collection, and the Infernal Affairs Trilogy limited edition box (which I haven't even received in the mail yet).
Old 12-23-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way - I've been watching the new boxset for the original PS trilogy... transfers are awesome. The subs on Police Story 2 suck... but so does the movie. I had remembered it being alot better than that. It's actually quite dull and horrible. The first film is awesome and the second film is great. Anyone else agree that PS2 blows or is it just me?
Old 12-24-04, 01:04 AM

Jackie's character's full name is Chan Kwok-Wing. this could be a reason to the switching around between "Inspector Wing" and "Inspector Chan".
Old 12-26-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tinlunlau
Jackie's character's full name is Chan Kwok-Wing. this could be a reason to the switching around between "Inspector Wing" and "Inspector Chan".
Maybe, but longest name the subtitles refer to him as is Kwok Wing, not Chan Kwok-Wing. I don't speak any Cantonese, so it is confusing when people randomly refer to him as "Inspector Chan".

The end credits aren't very helpful either, as they call him Inspector Chan again.

Last edited by Josh Z; 12-26-04 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-26-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of his movies have his character name as either Jackie or Chan - not too creative if you ask me.
Old 12-27-04, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Maybe, but longest name the subtitles refer to him as is Kwok Wing, not Chan Kwok-Wing. I don't speak any Cantonese, so it is confusing when people randomly refer to him as "Inspector Chan".

The end credits aren't very helpful either, as they call him Inspector Chan again.

i'm a native cantonese speaker so i'm pretty sure Jackie's character's name is Chan Kwok-Wing.
Old 01-03-05, 11:24 PM
Banned

i got the limited edition as a blind buy since i'm a fan and i wasn't disappointed

the movie has its flaws but it's good old fashioned jackie chan with a twist

the movie is much more dark and serious in tone than his prior films, there is little comedy, it's mostly serious, and lots of scenes in which jackie has to cry and show a lot of emotion, which definitely is a step in a different direction; there's more "acting" in this movie and less goofiness. it's definitely an R movie unlike his other movies. violence isn't gratuitous but pretty cruel and graphic, especially the first act which sets up the entire plot.

the action and stunts are top notch; some original stuff and execution is impeccable; the bus scene is amazing

there's maybe 2 or 3 fight scenes and they get better and better as the film goes on; the last fight scene in a lego showroom is pretty awesome. hard hitting, less goofy prop work

i guess bottom line the movie is much more "serious" in tone than any other jackie chan movie i've ever seen; i was quite surprised. but it's definitely fun popcorn and worth a watch.
Old 01-04-05, 02:08 PM

NPS switched to a new packaging now that the first release of the 2 disc set has been been recalled due to Jackie's cursing slip on the 2nd disc. the new cover shows Daniel Wu's gang of five and the back cover shows Nic & Charlene this time around.

no details on the revised DVD yet cuz they weren't specified in full detail as the first release was.

i'm glad i have the original release intact with Jackie's cursing.
Old 01-04-05, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i got the limited edition as a blind buy since i'm a fan and i wasn't disappointed
I got the LE as a blind buy too and while I wasn't disappointed w/ the movie I am w/ the LE pack. First off the hubs on the case were destroyed and the DVDs were all scuffed up, fortunately it didn't seem to effect playback. While there were subtitles on the feature the place I purchased it from seemed to indicate there were subtitles on the 2nd DVD as well... and although some of the prompts are in english I haven't been able to find a way to bring up english subs on any of the behind the scenes stuff Finally I'm not sure if there are pieces missing or if I just haven't looked at the long enough or what but I'm not really sure what the display stand is for. There's an alligator clip attached to the end of wire that doesn't seem to have any purpose what so ever and there was another piece of rectangularly shaped metal that fell out of the case when I first opened it that I can't figure out what it is for So for me it was a fun movie but the LE set itself I could have done w/o.
Old 01-04-05, 09:23 PM
Banned

the rectangular clip slips into the wooden base and is for holding the tip of the gun, whose base goes into the circular thing; i have no idea what the alligator clip is for either
Old 01-07-05, 11:02 AM

No-one seems to know what the purpose of the alligator clip is, but the small piece of metal is what the revolver rests on. Place it into the slot with the notched portion facing up.

Here is a pic of the gun sitting in it's display position.

-JR

Old 01-07-05, 02:52 PM

I can't tell from the picture, but is it, I wonder, supposed to replicate those cords used to attach the gun to the belt and prevent it from being separated from the cop by a bad guy? Just a wild guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.