Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen The Big Swindle (Korean)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Big Swindle

I am considering buying this from yesasia, but I want to know if it is a good film. If you have seen, please feel free to let me know how it is. Also if you have any links besides imdb.com, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

DVD Smurf
Old 07-06-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am thinking about picking this one up blind. Interested in what people thought.
Old 07-07-04, 12:21 AM

more complete story is here:
Removed
Old 07-07-04, 12:40 AM

I was right about to post this, haha.

Anyone seen it?
Old 07-07-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I ordered it... I think. Maybe I put it on my wait list. Anyway - I'll get it eventually and will post a review.
Old 07-12-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just realized this stars Yeom Jeong-Ah - she gave a great performance as the stepmother in A Tale of Two Sisters. Now I'm somewhat interested, although I usually find the faux-Tarantino schtick grating.

Last edited by ehonauer; 08-02-04 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-31-04, 03:44 PM

I just watched this and give it an A+. Kept me guessing; good action, some humor. Fun movie.
Old 08-02-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by divemaster
I just watched this and give it an A+. Kept me guessing; good action, some humor. Fun movie.
Good to know, I have it sitting in a box (just moved over the weekend) and I have been itching to watch just haven't had a chance with everything going on. Maybe tonight I will get a chance.
Old 08-02-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I wouldn't quite give it an A+, but I will agree that it was a pretty fun and enjoyable movie.
Old 08-02-04, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by fnordboy
Good to know, I have it sitting in a box (just moved over the weekend) and I have been itching to watch just haven't had a chance with everything going on. Maybe tonight I will get a chance.
I'd be interested to know what you think. Based on some of the Korean movie picks and pans on this forum, I am out of the mainstream on several popular titles. (For example, I thought Save the Green Planet was really lame and people praise that one to no end.)
Old 08-02-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by paratize
Well, I wouldn't quite give it an A+, but I will agree that it was a pretty fun and enjoyable movie.
That is what I would also say, just watched my copy a couple of days ago...
Old 08-03-04, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet, just ordered this sight unseen a couple days ago. I started to get buyer's remorse, but now you guys have changed all that for me. Thanks!

Jeremy
Old 08-13-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To continue with the handing out of letter grades for the film, I'd give it a "B". I'd call it a professional entry into the genre that delivers what you might expect but doesn't really go beyond that.

The film moves at a rather easy-going pace and focuses a little more on the characters than the action or workings of the various capers/swindles/cons/double-crosses. I wouldn't necessarily call it a character-driven film however. I can't say that I found anything particularly remarkable or memorable about the film; the phrase "by-the-numbers" comes to mind.

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression, "The Big Swindle" was a good movie and a worthy DVD purchase for larger collections but not really something I'd consider essential (in my limited experience) to a "must-have" library of Korean cinema.