Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Ultimate Versus

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-04, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Versus

Just saw this over at CDjapan.com:
Ultimate collector's edition of Ryuhei Kitamura's cult classic! This edition includes 6.1ch DD-EX and DTS-ES soundtracks. New features include additional music and newly shot cuts that have been edited in and remixed. The bonus disc includes over two and a half hours of extras, including never-before-seen footages (21 mins.), deleted scenes, previously unpublished making-of featurette (10 mins., shown previously only at the preview right after the completion, "Behind Versus Part 1: The Birth of the Darkhero (27 mins.)," new making-of featurette "Behind Versus Part 2 - Versus the Legend (46 mins.)," "Nervous 1 (7 mins.)," "Nervous 2 (16 mins.)," "The Making of Nervous 2 (1 min.)," Trailers, and much more!

DTS-ES... oh, my god...... No English subs? Who gives a rat's ass when you got a DTS-ES track.

Release date is May 21st. Price is about 50 bucks US. About the same time Sky High is supposed to be released. My bank account isn't gonna like me in about 2 months. Those 2 flicks plus the John Woo remasters...

Didn't see this news before here and the search didn't help, so sorry if it's a repeat.
Old 03-20-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you saying the movie won't have english subs or the extras? I would figure the extras wouldn't...
Old 03-20-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
post a pic of the set too.
Old 03-20-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Kitamura as much as the next guy, but I already have the R1 2disc version. I don't think it's that great to warrant spending another $50, but maybe someday. Gotta save my money to keep up with HP releases. BTW, how did they come up with DTS ES? The movie looked kind of budget, I'd prefer to get an original soundtrack as opposed to an upconverted one...
Old 03-20-04, 09:30 PM

The R1 version has a 5.1 mix, which is upconverted. You've seen the movie, so you know a 2.0 track isn't enough for that movie. The 5.1 track on the MB version is good, but I'd still love to have the DTS-ES track. (By the way, it's the same thing for Evil Dead, orginally mono, I think, but Anchor Bay gave it a nice DTS-ES track.) You also get a bunch of extras.

They don't have any subs, but still, that's never stopped me before. The movie won't have any subs, it looks like, but then again many Japanese DVDs don't have English subs.

I don't have any pics, sorry.

Last edited by pat00139; 03-21-04 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-21-04, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suppose you could rip the subs from the R1 if you already have that. It wouldn't be for everything but it would be most of it. At least in the original cut of Versus the dialogue is not terribly important or complicated. Kitamura knows his movies are poular overseas, maybe that's why he seems to not make dialogue terribly important. If you have any translation questions about new scenes and feel like ripping the audio, I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-24-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to let everyone know, it seems that Media Blasters has acquired the rights to the following Kitamura films : Alive, Aragami, and Ultimate Versus.

That was reported over at kfccinema.com
Old 08-05-04, 03:31 AM
Cool New Member

Well, according to this review the edition seems to have English subs!
Old 08-05-04, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by frankieDVD
Well, according to this review the edition seems to have English subs!
Musta reviewed the boot.

IGN should just stick to what they know,video games.
Old 08-05-04, 01:59 PM

Shows you what kind of people they are when they review boots, its not the 1st time they did it and made big mistakes with it.
Old 08-05-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz