Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Philips DVP642 - Region FREE & DivX Player (727-killer?)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Philips DVP642 - Region FREE & DivX Player (727-killer?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the firmware upgrade, I cant really tell a difference in anything. However, I think Ive changed my mind on returning it...the DivX function just cant be beat. If nothing else, it will replace my old Apex secret menu player which I might can get $30 for according to past auctions on Ebay (probably because "secret menu" is a great selling point). For region free, although Ive only tried one disc, it cant be beat for that price...now Im just going to consider getting a Region 1 player to play everything else in.
Old 05-19-04, 10:57 AM

I just picked up this player last night. So far, I like it. I haven't done the firmware flash yet, but I've run into one problem. On my friend's City of God R2/Pal when there are subs displayed on the top of the frame, the picture screws up and displays some garbage on the bottom. I'm hoping the firmware might fix this issue, but I don't have my hopes up. duofold said he tried City of God as his test... did you get the same problem or did you get that far into the film? Its just 2-4 minutes in.

Either way, I'm just glad to finally be region free.

Last edited by FreshOne; 05-19-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-19-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by FreshOne
Either way, I'm just glad to finally be region free.
Say goodbye to all your money Welcome to the world of imports

Did you try any divx or xvid files on it?
Old 05-19-04, 11:44 AM

Haven't thrown any divx files at it yet. I don't have too many... I think I have a few Alf episodes, I'll give those a shot
Old 05-19-04, 02:20 PM
Banned

i saw city of god r3 pal and it worked fine, can't say about r2 pal
Old 05-26-04, 09:38 PM

I finally picked this player up today. So far I am very impressed with it. I did the firmware upgrade available on the Philips site and I did not have any of the problems previously posted on this thread with it switching to PAL output. Maybe it is because I ran it before setting the player region free. I have tried several divx files and 95% of them worked, although the ones that didn't work I am not sure that they burned properly. The only problem I have is that on some of my fansubs the subtitles are too low and are getting cut off on the TV screen, I think that is more of a problem with my TV and it's overscan or whatever.

The region free code worked great and I have tried a R2 japanese disc and an R2 UK disc (with anamorphic widescreen) and it worked perfectly. Definitely worth the price of this player.
Old 05-29-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

how is philips warranty?
my philips 726 has sound but no video, and i bought it 4 mths ago.
anyone send any dvd players back to philips for warranty service?
btw, how long is philip dvd players warranty?
Old 06-28-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BUMP
Anyone who has this, do you have any problems with audio dropouts? I hadnt noticed it until recently, but lately there tends to be random audio dropouts where the audio disappears for about a second or less...just enough to cut off a word. Like I said, the spots are random...I can go back and the spot will play fine. Am I the only one with this problem?

Also, anytime I play a DTS title, it gives me a message indicating that it cannot decode the DTS track. It is decoding it of course, but I have to turn subs on and off to get it to go away. Which brings up another problem....if I turn subs on and then back off, anytime there is text on the screen, I will get Spanish subtitles for that, regardless, until I change DVDs.
Old 06-28-04, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by ENDContra
BUMP
Anyone who has this, do you have any problems with audio dropouts? I hadnt noticed it until recently, but lately there tends to be random audio dropouts where the audio disappears for about a second or less...just enough to cut off a word. Like I said, the spots are random...I can go back and the spot will play fine. Am I the only one with this problem?

Also, anytime I play a DTS title, it gives me a message indicating that it cannot decode the DTS track. It is decoding it of course, but I have to turn subs on and off to get it to go away. Which brings up another problem....if I turn subs on and then back off, anytime there is text on the screen, I will get Spanish subtitles for that, regardless, until I change DVDs.
I have not noticed any audio drop outs and I have been using it as my main player in the living room since I picked it up. Did you do the firmware update when you first got it? Maybe that will fix some problems.

The only audio problems I have had is that on a few xvid/divx files that I have tried playing in it sometimes the audio won't work. I am figuring it is a codec issue though, maybe the original authors encoded it weird. 90% or more of my files have played perfectly in it though.
Old 06-28-04, 02:28 PM

I haven't noticed any audio dropouts either. I updated the firmware first thing though, so do try that if you haven't. I have the same problem with the DTS message, what a pain, obviously it can't decode DTS, there should be some way to keep that message from coming up. Oh well. So far I've had no problems with the player that I couldn't fix.
Old 07-06-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did the firmware update as mentioned in the first post on this page...I could not tell a difference in the before and after.

That being said, considering that the main reason I bought this player was for DivX with region free being second and my modded Xbox will take care of both (besides, right now I dont have any non-R1 DVDs), and that I could very well use an extra space or two to keep that disc of King of Queens or X-Files that Im watching when I get the urge to put in a movie, I might take this thing back (90 day return policy at Target ) and pick up a DVD changer. Ive actually started to wonder if the audio problem is coming from $hitty wiring in this apartment, but this player is frustrating to me regardless.
Old 07-06-04, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by ENDContra
Did the firmware update as mentioned in the first post on this page...I could not tell a difference in the before and after.
.........I might take this thing back (90 day return policy at Target ) and pick up a DVD changer. Ive actually started to wonder if the audio problem is coming from $hitty wiring in this apartment, but this player is frustrating to me regardless.
I don't know what to tell you, my player has been working fine. Either something is wrong with the one you got or maybe their is some wiring issue.

You can always try to exchange it for another one and see if that one works. If you don't need it though, just return it then.
Old 07-08-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update on my situation....I dont know what the cause is, but Ive found a solution. My DVD player was connected via coaxial digital audio, while my set top box for cable was connected via optical digital audio. I never noticed dropouts with the cable, just the DVD player, which is why I originally blamed the DVD player. However, I realized that maybe it wasnt the devices, but the wiring. So I flipped them, going optical with the DVD player and coaxial with digital cable. Watched an episode of King of Queens and Kill Bill Vol 1, absolutely no drop outs. Just a little while ago, noticed a drop out when watching cable. So Im going to switch coaxial cables and try that, and if that doesnt work Ill just get another optical cable.

All that being said, Im still thinking changer or maybe that JVC triple-tray player since I have other options for DivX/region free now. I just didnt want anyone to be mislead and decide to pass on this since apparently I was completely wrong about the audio thing.
Old 07-18-04, 12:57 PM

Philips DVP-642 Hacks
Old 07-26-04, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having a problem with xvid. Tried to play an xvid disc and it says codec not supported although I updated the firmware.

It does play my PAL discs really well though.
Old 08-04-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else recently purchased this?

I've been following several threads for months and finally decided that maybe I should take the plunge with the 642 (it is the only model I can find in town as well).

Now, since I am region-free DVD player stupid, couple questions:

1.) Has anyone yet had problems with any region, PAL/NTSC conversion? I will most exclusively use this just for DVDs, no DivX, etc. Although I might if the occasion arose ... so ...

2.) What formats can't all play well?

3.) What does the firmware all do?

4.) If the hack more or less permanent, so I don't need to enter it every time I watch a DVD?

5.) Any other issues people have with this player?

That should be all, and sorry for retreading old ground.
Old 08-04-04, 06:15 PM

OK

1) I've had no problems with PAL/NTSC conversion. It looks nice to me. I'm watching on a standard 32" through component, and it looks good to me, probably not 100% amazing, but very very nice.

2) Not sure what you mean, but I've been able to play mp3s, I didn't try divx yet, I don't have a lot of divx files anyway. Region free was the important feature for me.

3) The firmware makes some minor improvements to the player. The latest firmware (I think it was a June release) removes this ridiculous message saying that it can't decode DTS when you switch to a DTS track (duh). It also improves on the interface for selecting the player version you are using when switching firmware. There are some minor improvements here and there, and sometimes you get one thats really worth it (the DTS one). They are easy to do, and I'd recommend grabbing them when they come out.

4) The hack is pretty much permanent. I think if you leave it unplugged or flash the firmware, you need to reset the code. Other than that, it stays region free.

5) I don't know of any. I have to admit that the remote is pretty lame. I've gotten used to it, but it still sucks. Similarly, other navagation type things seem a little rough around the edges. But you get a region free player that does a slew of formats (and now I guess it supports txt subtitles with divx files, if you are into that) and its real cheap. Its been completely worth it for me. I've made it my main player now; I thought I might use my old Pioneer for R1 stuff but the pic quality is decent enough on the Philips to make it not worth the hastle.

So overall, it has its drawbacks but its a pretty solid player. Well worth the price, and it gets the job done.
Old 12-05-04, 03:39 PM
Yug

Help Me Decide On A Philips

Used to own a JVC years ago that played beat up rentals very well. than two years ago i switched it out for the Panasonic DVD-RV31S and the thing artifacts dvd's with the slightest smudge or hairline scratch.

1)how's the the philips in this respect

2)and this may be the wrong forum to ask but for you guys who have multiple players is there a region 1 player in this $70 price range that would out perform the philip picture wise and in dependability? I've yet to buy a import dvd yet the concept of have an all region players interests me. i however need something solid first.

Last edited by Yug; 12-05-04 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-05-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Yug
2)and this may be the wrong forum to ask but for you guys who have multiple players is there a region 1 player in this $70 price range that would out perform the philip picture wise and in dependability? I've yet to buy a import dvd yet the concept of have an all region players interests me. i however need something solid first.
A Toshiba SD-3900 or 4900 might be a fine alternative. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued and is harder to find.
Old 12-05-04, 10:45 PM

I'm very confused regarding Philips DVP642 vs 727 issue. Based on this forum discussion I an conclude that 642 most distinguished features is its versatility. Now abotu my main concern, in terms of Video quality (ONLY video, prog. scan capability, how they handle jaggies, jitter, judder, flicker, etc.) how is 642 compared with 727? Which one is better?

Whereas in this discussion most members say that the pic quality is very good, we see that in hometheaterhifi shootout actually 642 is considered as only a mediocre player... Of course, I'm not as knowledgeable as them in hometheaterhifi... I don't know how picky they are either...
Old 12-06-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
so to make this region free it's just a couple button presses on the remote like the 727? I was just wondering since I bought this as a gift for someone.
Old 12-06-04, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
so to make this region free it's just a couple button presses on the remote like the 727? I was just wondering since I bought this as a gift for someone.
Correct. I think it is in this thread somewhere, I don't remember the button sequence off hand right now.
Old 12-06-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
A Toshiba SD-3900 or 4900 might be a fine alternative. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued and is harder to find.
I have a 4900 and adore it. If you can find it for $75 or cheaper it's certainly worth picking up, and has great PQ, although if DivX/XviD is your bag, the 642 is mandatory.

If you really want the absolute best picture you could drop $500 on a high-end player modded to be region free from hkflix.com, but I've not bought any of their hardware before so YMMV. In any case, they do have a modded ELITE DVD player for like $1k or something ridiculous like that.
Old 12-06-04, 08:18 PM
Banned

does anyone know if after the firmware update the FF speed goes higher than 8x? i wish i could FF faster on this machine
Old 12-06-04, 09:31 PM
Cool New Member

i just bought this player over the weekend....havent thrown much at it yet....but im happy with it so far....i have to go to the phillips site and get that update though..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.