Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

ghosts of the abyss dvd (3d!)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

ghosts of the abyss dvd (3d!)

Old 08-04-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAWS 3-D works as well as can be expected. The film wasn't great even in polarized 3-D theatrical showings, but it had its moments. The FS 3-D print is better than watching the film flat, as 3-D is about the only thing the film has going for it.

Back to GHOSTS in ColorCode....it does help a lot if you crank the brightness on your set up...way up.
Old 08-04-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Phillips
You CAN watch FS material on most TVs, but you need to disable the progressive scan feature on your DVD player. I watch stuff on my 16X9 HD set all the time after simply hitting the "off" button on my remote.
This doesn't make any logical sense. An HD display is always progressive scan. If you turn off the progressive feature in your DVD player, the TV's own internal line-doubler will deinterlace the video instead.

Unless you happen to own an RPTV that has an "Game" mode that displays in true interlaced video (I think some Panasonics include this), there is no way to make the DVD image not progressive scan.
Old 08-04-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've got no problem watching FS 3-D on my Philips HD ready 16X9 set, as long as I turn off the progressive scan on the player.

I've also watched this stuff on HD rear projection sets; again no problem. I have heard that LCD and Plasma don't work.

BTW, some of the material I have is anamorphic 16X9 enhanced, still no problem.

I know plenty of other 3-D fans who watch on HD sets as well.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 08-04-04 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In other R2 3-D news; Fangoria's webiste reports that AMITYVILLE 3-D is being released to DVD on Sept 27 in a package that includes both 2-D and 3-D versions, along with 2 pair of glasses.

Obviously this will either be a red/cyan or ColorCode conversion; as the film was released in the superior polarized (clear grey glasses) format in theatres.

Hopefully it will be in the full 2:35 to 1 OAR and not cropped down to 1:78 to 1 as many of the flat only DVD releases of this film have been; and that the 3-D will translate fairly well when converted to the inferior processes.
Old 08-07-04, 04:41 AM

We have our full review of the Japanese Ghosts Of The Abyss Limited Edition here.

If you’re a keen follower of the Titanic story, then you’ll love Ghosts Of The Abyss. It does shed some new light on the secrets of the wreck, but does seem very familiar at the same time. I guess there’s only so much information that can be gleaned from the leviathan in its current deteriorating state, but aficionados will appreciate the level of effort and commitment seen in this documentary.

As for the Japanese DVD itself, it features excellent A/V quality. The attempt at 3-D didn’t really rock my world, but it’s nice to have it if only for the bragging rights over the Western equivalent! The full-rate dts track is another nice addition over the US/European releases - it’s almost worth picking up this set just because of that, because you certainly won’t be buying it for the extras.
Old 08-08-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Finally received this on Friday and watched it with my wife. Interesting documentary but Chet (aka Bill Paxton) tended to give annoying commentary at times.
We watched the extended non 3-D version and then popped in the next disc with the 3-D. With one pair of glasses we just saw a few scenes passing them back and forth.
The 3-D looked OK but started to get the same queasy feeling we got watching Spy Kids 3-D in the theater.
There's information in the packet to order extra glasses but not sure on international shipping.
Overall nice addition to an Titanic interested family. Now to get a decent cut of the movie on DVD....................
Old 08-09-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched some of this over the weekend. The only way to get a watchable picture is to crank Brightness, Contrast, and Color settings to normally obscene levels. Even then, the picture is pretty muddy with very poor colors.

The 3D effect worked suprisingly well in some of the above-water scenes. The dark scenes at the bottom of the ocean not so much.

It's an interesting novelty, but that's about it.
Old 08-17-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Full review here:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ftheabyss.html
Old 03-27-12, 07:44 PM

Re: ghosts of the abyss dvd (3d!)

If anyone is still hunting for this...my copy is up on the bay this week:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251027141097...84.m1555.l2649