Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

why can't I get Shaolin Soccer region 0 to play?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-06-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put the disc in to play, and all it does is keep on saying that its a disc error and that it was unable to read the disc. I have the region 0 Universe U333.com dvd with dts, anamorphic widescreen and the ability to play the movie with more scenes. Oh and my player is a samsung dvd-101 aka a dvd/vcr combo. the disc played fine on my jvc player. the only other dvd that doesn't play is a boot i got from ebay of iron monkey. (Oh and i got Shaolin Soccer from dddhouse.com
Old 03-06-04, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange. If there aren't any scratches on the DVD, then I have no idea why it wouldn't play. I really don't like combo players, though. Too many things can go wrong with them, I think.

Okay, so stupid question: why don't you just watch the movie on your JVC player?
Old 03-06-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the jvc is for my room and i wanted to watch the movie on the big screen.
Old 03-07-04, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
perhaps the player needs cleaning - my Toshiba needs cleaning and will play almost anything, but started giving me errors on HK dvds before anything else. You could try boiling the disc.
Old 03-07-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think several players have trouble with this particular DVD. My Panasonic gets about halfway through & then freezes up. I'm forced to watch the movie on my computer.

At least you can take the JVC out of your room & hook it up to the big screen...
Old 03-07-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Yeah, I think this disc is problematic depending on what player you use. My disc freezes like crazy on one of my players (a cheap Curtis one) but works fine on my others.
Old 03-08-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it maybe the manufacturer. I had to return two copies (lucky for me it was local) before I got a copy that played on all my players. I purchased it when it first came out; I don't know if later pressings are any better. Another thing I noticed too was that when I select DTS; the DTS trailer has no sound but the movie audio in DTS played fine.

Last edited by mrhan; 03-08-04 at 11:50 AM.