Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Coolest-Looking Non-Region 1 DVDs/Boxsets

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Coolest-Looking Non-Region 1 DVDs/Boxsets

Old 03-05-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by pat00139
Amazon.fr

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...875911-8974520

Does anyone own this? Is disc 2 Peter Pan 2 or is it special features
Old 03-05-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Psychlowne
Dude, NO WAY! If you were even THINKING about this, someone needs to wake you up. This box set is like $800 USD (on sale!). In Japan, they believe that we pay way too little for our DVDs, CDs, etc., so any time you import something like this expect to pay huge amounts.

Considering you can get the R1 U.S. version of the series for around $40, I really don't see the packaging as being a debatable issue. No one ever says, "eh, it's only $760" when referring to a DVD.
That is not entirely accurate. You can't compare the $40 series to the $760 price tag. It is not one series that you are getting. You are getting everything Tenchi Muyo except for GXP. It is a 25 disc set IIRC. You are getting the Tenchi Muyo TV, OVA, in Tokyo, the 3 TM movies and like 2 bonus discs.

At that price with all the discs you are getting and the bouns items and sweet packaging, it is actually a damn good deal. It would be well over $1000 going by normal Japanese DVD pricing.
Old 03-05-04, 09:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
besides packaging why are Japanese DVD's relatively expensive to begin with?
Old 03-05-04, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Giles
besides packaging why are Japanese DVD's relatively expensive to begin with?
I have heard several reasons why, I don't know what is truth or not though. They range from the cost of living (as mentioned in a post above) to DVDs being still a somewhat niche market there it is not as mainstream as here. I really don't know, but I find that the quality of most Japanese releases (movies and anime) is far superior than the US releases. They really know how to put together a DVD there.
Old 03-05-04, 09:36 AM

I have also heard that Japanese don't buy as many dvds/vhs/whatever because of space concerns. If they're living in the city their apartments are very small.
Old 03-05-04, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by mrwilson
I have also heard that Japanese don't buy as many dvds/vhs/whatever because of space concerns. If they're living in the city their apartments are very small.
Yeah, that is also why some earlier DVDs came in jewel cases instead of the standard DVD case.
Old 03-05-04, 12:52 PM

They are expensive because they are sold at SRP or very minimal discounting. 20% off of full MSRP is not discounting much at all...Their retail market for software is very unique in that discounting is not common at all and when it is present, it's very minimal. Contrast with cd sales in some North American markets where you are lucky to make 5-10% above cost on sales as opposed to 20% off of MSRP which is nominally 1.74-2.0x cost yielding high margin...
Old 03-05-04, 05:07 PM

amelie(both french and japan versions) set can be a perfect set and worth every euro only if it has english subtitles. Without english subtitles it becomes useless
Old 03-05-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by ketya
amelie(both french and japan versions) set can be a perfect set and worth every euro only if it has english subtitles. Without english subtitles it becomes useless
.....ok, so if anyone around here speaks or shall I say understands, say, French...would they still qualify as good sets??

Just wondering beacuse your statement was quite definitive!!

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 03-11-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am wondering about the Terminator 3 boxset from France, the limited (1500?) one....i would love the DTS and the cool case, but any opinions as to it being worth $170-$200?
Old 03-12-04, 05:06 AM

Tony Dvdfan : You found the boxset cool... but now, you have to price the cool part of the package... That's all... The DVD inside is pretty the same as anyother version of the movie... The only one difference is the cool part... and, sadly for my bank account, this "cool part" of the packaging is highly valuable for me, so, nothing is expensive enough ;p
Hopefully for me, I'm not T3 fan so, ~this time~, i won't bite this one

Pro-bassoonist : You're completely right

Ketya : Since official language of France is french and no english, people do not feel they HAVE TO put some foreign language in their box set... The same way for R-1 DVD : what about french subtitles then ? so we're even. R-1 DVD did not have ALWAYS french subtitles so we, french guys, have to do with it, so it seems for me pretty even, don't you think ?
Now, fortunately for me, I can speak english so R-1 DVD is not bothering me... If you want to feel as free as me, to buy any region encoded DVD, just learn to speak french...
As for japanese edition, i'm learning japanese, so, it won't be an issue for me

mrwilson : The French LE Box of Amelie had poloroids of the gnomes travels as well. They are inside the envelope

Psychlowne : 199 Euros !!! That's, my friend, is what i call robbery !! I buy it when it was released : only for 45 Euros then... sorry guy

shaggy : hope it's special features and no Peter Pan 2 movie... I own the DVD but haven't watch it yet... yup yup... from Amazon.fr : Disc 2 's got special features as documentaire about "The 9 historical Disney's animators", one short "Players of Pan", story of Peter Pan, Peter Pan's album (should understand gallery i think), Making of Peter Pan, Karaoke songs, Story to read, one Peter Pan movie produced by Paramount in 1924 (1h41) in Black/white, posters gallery...
Old 03-12-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by haclong
Since official language of France is french and no english, people do not feel they HAVE TO put some foreign language in their box set... The same way for R-1 DVD : what about french subtitles then ? so we're even. R-1 DVD did not have ALWAYS french subtitles so we, french guys, have to do with it, so it seems for me pretty even, don't you think ?
Sadly, a viewer in France is much more likely to speak some English than a viewer in America is likely to speak any French. We're mostly a bunch of mono-lingual clods over here.
Old 03-12-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sadly, Josh Z's statement is so true. Not to further pull this thread off topic to some sociological/linguistic rant but it seems almost everyone in the US expects the whole population of the world to understand English. I've actually seen some sad incidents where people in their home country are berated by American tourists for not understand a word of English.
Old 03-12-04, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by haclong

Ketya : Since official language of France is french and no english, people do not feel they HAVE TO put some foreign language in their box set... The same way for R-1 DVD : what about french subtitles then ? so we're even. R-1 DVD did not have ALWAYS french subtitles so we, french guys, have to do with it, so it seems for me pretty even, don't you think ?
Now, fortunately for me, I can speak english so R-1 DVD is not bothering me... If you want to feel as free as me, to buy any region encoded DVD, just learn to speak french...
You are completely wrong, first of all most of the r1 dvds have french subtitles. Secondly dvds with only french audio and without english subtitles means that you ignore the rest of the world.
Old 03-13-04, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Cardiac161
I've actually seen some sad incidents where people in their home country are berated by American tourists for not understand a word of English.
yeah, because Americans are the only people in the world that speak English...
Old 03-15-04, 04:21 AM

We are getting out of topic here and sorry ketya, but the R1 DVD i owned at home have NO French subtitles...
But it's fine with me.

Thank you for Josh Z and Cardiac161 to be knowing that they are not alone on this Earth
Old 03-15-04, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ketya
You are completely wrong, first of all most of the r1 dvds have french subtitles. Secondly dvds with only french audio and without english subtitles means that you ignore the rest of the world.
the rest of the world speaks english? That's news to me. I was under the impression that at least a few countries spoke other languages besides english. I could be wrong though
Old 03-15-04, 02:28 PM

love the two towers one ....spider-man one looks f*ing awesome!

i quite like the Hulk (R2/R4) Box set....the whole fist punching out, looks ace
Old 03-15-04, 03:27 PM

Then, why is there no chinese subtitles or even audio tracks ?
After all, chinese are one of the most spoken language in this world...
Old 03-16-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

region 1 is USA/Canada, hence the English & French tracks, if available. simple as that.
Old 03-18-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's it, I'm getting a Region Free player.
Old 03-19-04, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I just finished watching my Band of Brothers set - you guys were right - it's a great series. It left me wanting more. My friend that I watched this with said jokingly 'too bad the war wasn't longer so there could be more episodes'. In poor taste? Perhaps, but I thought it was kinda funny.

The set is outstanding - it comes with all sorts of cool crap - maps and dog tags and a top secret envelope with more documents and such etc... I know I'm probably going to watch this series again and again. The 7th episode was my favorite. I'm gonna check out the documentary on the last disc this weekend.

I also got the Bruce Lee set which is quite beautiful. I have yet to watch it and I don't know when I'll get to it, but it's probably my coolest set. I really found this thread to be useful. Keep posting cool sets when you find em.
Old 03-19-04, 09:24 AM

Okay, for the semi-off-topic portion: R1 is US and Canada, that's right, but Canadian companies do their own distribution (well, many of them do). From what I remember, Alliance Atlantis does all the New Line distribution in Canada. So technically, New Line doesn't need to put in any French subs 'cause they don't do the distribution in Canada. This isn't the case for every studio, but you get my point.

Also, R2 has English, French, German, Polish, Swedish, Japanese, etc, etc, etc... but they don't have all those subs on their DVDs. I also thought of this. Maybe some company, say, starts with Mir and ends with amax, goes to a French company and says, don't but English subs on you DVD 'cause we'll pay you a shitload of cash and release it ourselves in the US. This might not happen, or it might only happen in a few cases. Besides, how many people in the US know about Le raid or Nid de guepes, or even the Asterix and Obelix movies? Many times, companies probably don't think putting English subs isn't just worth the price.

For the semi-on-topic part of the thread:

Not the coolest sets out there but have to go in the definetly pretty keen section:
Oseam - R3 - comes in a big-ish box, has a puzzle, post cards and things of that nature
Untold Scandal - R3 - comes in a box the size of the Oseam one and has an art book
T3 - R3 - comes in a box with a T-101 or T-X action figure, and has a slipcover
Chaplin Collections - R3 - they come in a binder-like case, with the 2 DVDs on each page
Chihwaseon - R3 - the LE comes in a solid wooden box
My Tutor Friend - R3 - comes in a cheesy take-out chicken box, but it's got nice crap with it, like poster cards and things
My Teacher, Mr. Kim - R3 - HUGE box, like a desk drawer, comes with a really cool oversized pencil, the book the movie is based on, things like that
Battle Royale 2 - R2 (Japan) - The metal box is really cool, comes with some nice accessories
Moon Child - R2 - the LE has a nice photo album and a nice fold-out where the movies are kept
Save the Green Planet - R3 - the LE is as goofy as the movie. It has bug spray, a bath towel and a bit more

Best set for a TV series has to go to Damo, this action/drama period piece from Korea. It comes in a huge (and quite heavy) box. It has posters made with felt, cards and great packaging.

Sorry, no pics...

Okay, so some of these will never see the light of day in North America, but they're still better DVD sets than what gets release in R1.

I also have another remark about the Bruce Lee set, the sound is much, much better than the R1 release. The DTS track on Way of the Dragon actually has some nice surround and ambient effects. I'll probably watch Big Boss next soon enough.

I'm done rambling for now.
Old 03-19-04, 09:48 AM

I was really bummed that Damo didn't include English subs.
Old 03-19-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by pat00139
I also have another remark about the Bruce Lee set, the sound is much, much better than the R1 release. The DTS track on Way of the Dragon actually has some nice surround and ambient effects. I'll probably watch Big Boss next soon enough.
Packaging aside. How does it compare to the HKL set overall; in regards to PQ, Audio, and supplements?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.