Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Currently Visiting Hong Kong do they sell Region 1 dvd??

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-16-04, 05:07 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am here visiting and will be till the end of the week, friend who lives here has boxes and boxes of DVD's its amazing, my only concern is do they have region 1, and do those work in the US, i see some of the labels read region 1 , but just want to check on here. Heading to SchenZen, in next few days, not sure that was spelled right but i hear $5 hk is not uncommon for dvd's if you buy in bulk, thanks for letting me know, i guess an alternative is to go buy a region free player but not sure i want to do that if i can avoid buying a new player, i own the toshiba sd2200 wich i have had since it came out and enjoy it, thanks
Old 02-16-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
5 hkd is like 65 cents US. That's pretty damn cheap. Anyway - most DVDs in HK will be region free (R0 or ALL it should say) and should play in any DVD player. Some DVDs there are R3. Typically, US films will be R3 and most other stuff will be R0. If you find DVDs to be that cheap though, you might be looking at bootlegs. Don't know if you care about that, but you should... just in terms of quality alone, bootlegs are usually bad and besides it just hurts the economy and the industry. If you don't wanna buy a new DVD player, you can always play DVDs of any region in your PC - provided you have a DVD rom drive and provided it is one that can be made region free... very few DVD drives are incapable of region switching.
Old 02-16-04, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Synch22: Those are ALL pirated DVDs. Shenzhen especially is chock-full of them. Beware that you may not be able to play pirated DVDs on your machine (especially Sony DVD players), and also you may very well end up in trouble with the Customs Agent if they find you with lots of them.
Old 02-16-04, 09:13 AM

Man, you can find DVDs from ANYWHERE in Hong Kong. I was at an HMV (which, granted, was expensive) and I found Criterions that I didn't find in Ottawa, HKL movies, Korean R3 movies, and the list can go on. I found box sets to every imaginable show. If it's a good store, region 1 is region 1.

Dunno about Shenzen, though, never been there. I will tell you don't by DVDs, any DVDs, for HK$5 a pop, there's something wrong with them. The cheapest I found were $25 bucks. Believe me, I bought so many movies when I was in HK that I could've gotten a nice discount. 5 bucks a pop, though, is something fishy.

Just remember: Hong Kong is Hong Kong, you can find ANYTHING you want there.
Old 02-17-04, 01:25 AM

i was surprised that i was able to buy something cheap at HMV and it happened in Hong Kong. (yeah..it was the soundtrack of A Chinese Ghost Story: Anime)

people at tower3a.com tell me that you can get region 1 dvd's earlier than north america.